Extortion by Immigration Police - How to Stop ?

2 minutes ago, ThaiCitizen said:

That's the point of this thread -  what can be done?

The immigration help number is no good.

I post things on twitter, which gets the attention of some ex-politicians. For some reason my links to these pages were removed.

Just my opinion, but I reckon there is nothing that the average farang living in Thailand can do about it. Just accept it like bad weather.

If it gets to be a real mental problem, probably time to go home.

While some things can be bad like that, other things are way easier than back home.

I got divorced for about 20 baht- couldn't do that in a western country.

When I was in the wrong in a traffic accident, the cops only charged me 500 baht and no court case. Back home would have been a court case and lotsacash.

When I went to the Dr it only cost 300 baht- at home it costs 1,000.

Dental is so cheap my sister flew over to have work done.

Very much a case of swings and roundabouts.

Edited by thaibeachlovers
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Deepinthailand said:

Has never happened to me.

Every thing in the op is hearsay. Heard this heard that. Has the op ever had personal experiance. Seems to me he has a vendetta against imigration. 

Previous thread tip boxes I thought his ex minister mate was supposed to be involved.

Yes, I have been asked for 500 baht for the "proof of residence", before I had a "yellow book". I didn't pay. And asked a few times by Udon and Nonk Kai imm for 100 baht tip.

Khun korn chatikavanij did send a team to sort out Khon Kaen Immigration. Search his name for his facebook page to see, WE CAN make a difference.

Edited by ThaiCitizen

3 hours ago, HiSoLowSoNoSo said:

Have been asked for a 100 Baht "tip" at the Udon Thani office a couple of time, but refused to pay them. At the Trat office in Leam Ngop, the lady at the front desk told me that I already had received the 100 Baht change from my 2000 THB I handed over to her, I got upset and complained to the man in charge and received my money, the lady looked mad at me.

Good for you, a poster with balls!

• Like 2

I am sorry I your area immigration office  practices systematic extortion.

Each immigration office has a supervisor and he or she sets the tone for their behavior.

Myself I am in Bangkok and do my immigration processing through Changwattna there.

Only once in 5 years have I been asked for a 'tip' by anyone who was processing my retirement extension paperwork.

In that case he had a small cup on his desk which said in English, 'Small tips gratefully accepted for good service'.

He pointed it out to me, and said to me, Tips are not required'.

I did give him 20 Baht, however, which he thanked me for with a s=mall wai.

Oher than that, I have been asked for a tp from immigration.

I realize that is not what others in different areas have seen , but it is my experience.

And my experience also, I never get asked or made to tip.

Posters complaining about extortion by Immigration must be very very bored and have nothing else to do with their time. I mean, how many times a year do you have to deal with Immigration and what's the maximum financial exposure: 4 x 90 days; 1x visa renewal/extension and perhaps 1 x COR; six times. Even if you get asked to provide a tip on every occasion that's what, 600 baht a year, do you not have anything better to worry about than needlessly spending 600 baht a year in tips! Or are you going to tell us it's the principle......say what! This sounds like an impoverished backpacker/digitial nomad rant to me.

Edited by chiang mai
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, ThaiCitizen said:

Yes, I have been asked for 500 baht for the "proof of residence", before I had a "yellow book". I didn't pay. And asked a few times by Udon and Nonk Kai imm for 100 baht tip.

Khun korn chatikavanij did send a team to sort out Khon Kaen Immigration. Search his name for his facebook page to see, WE CAN make a difference.

For your information kk didn't and doesn't need sorting out stick with your immigration office seems that's where your beef is keep the fall out there not in places you obviously don't use but try to take based on hearsay. Will ask around today to see what this "team" did not that he has any authority anyway. What is your beef with Immigration?? The real beef not the odd money for cert of residence ect. Might help us understand your agenda.

Edited by Deepinthailand

Judging by the replies - and my own experience of zero corruption, I suggest you amend the topic title - to read how to stop yourself from being a victim of corruption. Follow advice of posters above and you will have no problem. Learn how to do things here, or face the consequences. Corruption happens Everywhere.

• Like 1

although, just as others have noted, i have HEARD of such matters anecdotally,

it has NEVER happened to me, either during 90-day reporting or renewal (i'm on retirement visa); as a matter of fact, the head guy at our provincial capital always stops what he is doing and calls out a greeting to me from the back of the office as soon as he sees me enter the door, and ALL the people there wai me and address me as "P' dok mai" or "khun dok mai"... 

of course, maybe the fact that i speak Thai, understand the culture, and dress respectfully makes it different for me

• Like 1

5 hours ago, HiSoLowSoNoSo said:

Have been asked for a 100 Baht "tip" at the Udon Thani office a couple of time, but refused to pay them. At the Trat office in Leam Ngop, the lady at the front desk told me that I already had received the 100 Baht change from my 2000 THB I handed over to her, I got upset and complained to the man in charge and received my money, the lady looked mad at me.

Is the 'man in charge'  the guy who wears a white shirt, no uniform & sits in the middle desk?

15 hours ago, Get Real said:

16 years here, and like many others: No Problem. I do really think that it also have to do with having a positive attitude and a smile at them in that office too, which I see that many people have a great difficulty with.
Instead of problem with Immigration and their officers, I usually have to tell a foreigner to sit down and take it easy instead.

And please don´t ask me too if I had a problem with traffic police. It´s a no there too. They never ask for anything wrong when I have anything to do with them.

exactly!!! one time i was driving to our provincial capital, and there was a checkpoint w/soldiers AND police; even though i was wearing a helmet, the soldier motioned me to the side- when he came to me, he said in English "where you go?" when i answered in perfect Thai "go Krabi" he then asked me in Thai where i lived, etc; i answered, again w/proper tones, etc- then he gazed down at the bag i was carrying on the floorboard (was automatic scooter), before he could ask, i said in Thai "speakers, bring to fix" he smiled and said "ok have nice trip", again in English- never asked me for license, papers OR any bribe...

here on the island, they have checkpoints (usually mid-month until the end, when their salary has run out); i always keep my helmet w/me when leaving my neighborhood, and when i see the telltale orange cones and line of cars, etc, i quickly pop my helmet on- frequently the head cop sees me do so, and when i approach he'll playfully wag his finger at me & laughing, call my name in a half-teasing/scolding manner

i think most interactions w/authority are completely contingent on OUR attitudes towards them, and that ends up determining how WE are treated...

Never been asked for any money. On the other hand I had a very good relationship with officers in Phitsanulok in the past and used give them the 100 Baht change (when doing the extension) to buy coffee as they have even helped me a couple of times when I should have gone/reported to other immigration offices because of my then registered address, sad to say it all ended in the end of last year now that there are immigration offices in all provinces! Now when I have gone to the Sukhothai office it has been running 200% by the book and you have to have everything and I mean EVERYTHING, something BKK ask for but nowhere else they ask for, documents I have only heard that Pattaya ask for in the past they ask for and som on, I guess that it's because all of the staff there are new and not seasoned immigration officers that have been doing this for 15-20 years. 

15 hours ago, possum1931 said:

Yes, you wonder why so many Thaivisa members are full of praise for Thai Immigration.

I personally wonder why so many Thaivisa members are full of praise for the dreaded "With-It Tower Experience" we Brits are obliged to suffer at passport renewal time these days.

Never experienced any extortion problems at my local immigration office