International school is ripping off parents say Thai and foreign mums and dads

webfact

International school is ripping off parents say Thai and foreign mums and dads

a3a.jpg

Picture: Pattaya News

PATTAYA: -- Angry parents in Pattaya have gone to the government's help group Damrongtham Centre to complain about their children's international school.

They say they are paying for a full term but only getting part time tuition. Curriculums are all messed up and there is poor health

standards, reoirted Pattaya News.

The parents were accompanied by several students in uniform but the school was not named on the Pattaya News Facebook page.

Parent Rossukhon Curran (name transliterated from Thai language), 39, said they were promised an international curriculum but the school has failed to deliver. They were meant to get a full term for which they had paid but their kids had only got 11 weeks.

In addition there was not even any tissue paper or soap for the children to wash their hands.

When parents complained the school hierarchy just ignored them, she said, adding that most of the students were of mixed nationality.

Taking the complaint at Damrongtham in Banglamung, Tharanya Amornlertpraiwong said that the parents should put their complaints in writing first.

Their grievances would then be properly considered with the possibility that an investigative team of relevant authorities could be sent into the school to investigate their claims.

Source: Pattaya News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-02-15

My kids went to 4 different Bilingual schools in Pattaya and Bangkok (including BEST) before I gave up and moved back to my home country for my kids sake. The schools have a screwed up curriculum and for profit attitudes about everything. The teachers are not "Real Teachers". I could find mistakes in most every text book and they skip a lot of fundamentals of math, English and science. My kids went to the USA in the 6 and 7th grade and graduated HS in the USA, but they struggled the first couple Years. I have a new son two years and old and will NOT let him attend a Thai Billingual Private school.

Problem with the parents not investigating the legitimacy and credentials of the school thoroughly...a lot of schools here use the word "international" very loosely...There are some very good international schools in Thailand and there are many that disquise themselves as international schools that are in fact full of shit and ripoffs

The school in question introduced a new and separate International program (separate curriculum) in 2016/17 that was compulsory for students above a certain grade. During the current school year, they have made two last-minute changes to the dates of term and mid-term breaks affecting both the English and International programs. These changes were very poorly communicated. The latest changes announced very recently (new calendar on 22nd January 2017) affects the International curriculum only but apparently they have extended the school year by about 2-3 weeks to end in early April whereas the rest of the school will close as scheduled early/mid March. This 2-3 week extension may be an effort to address the shortfall in hours education the parents are complaining about? The parents may be more incensed about the sudden, short-notice date changes which do affect any families with overseas vacation or work plans. It does appear the school in question has experienced considerable planning issues since introducing the new English program.

Edited by NanLaew

Problem with the parents not investigating the legitimacy and credentials of the school thoroughly...a lot of schools here use the word "international" very loosely...There are some very good international schools in Thailand and there are many that disquise themselves as international schools that are in fact full of shit and ripoffs

There have been quite a few changes, particularly at secondary level, with the school in question here over the last year or two so it is mainly affecting pupils who have been there a number of years already.

It is not neccessarily a case of parents choosing unwisely since the school did perform quite reasonably in the past so i am told and some parents see it as an option to put pressure on the school to try and get back to how it was rather than pull kids out.

The main reason why I will not live in Thailand full time . The schools for the most part are sub par , my son goes to a very good government school where I live and it knocks spots off the international schools I have toured in Thailand. ! If I lived in Thailand I'd send my son to a very good thai school instead . I'd see networking with Thais from decent families far more advantageous in the long run . 

Schools in Pattaya seem to be suffering from exodus of farangs with their kids. I too am getting ready to oull out, that's three out of one school. Keep hiring them flippers instead of westeners and you'll see the great escape continue.

It is pretty much the rule that the good foreign teachers follow the money. When a private school starts dragging their feet on pay rises or make disagreeable changes to teaching 'contracts', the best teachers will leave. They will migrate to where they get paid for their work as well as having the best working conditions with less arbitrary and restrictive school rules. If schools continue their ability to cut salaries by employing non-native English speaking staff, then the experienced native English speaking staff will leave. Since the pool of schools is a fairly finite resource in LOS, beyond the option to move to Nakhon Nowhere and fill some provincial towns quota of having TEFL qualified staff (I think the school pockets a government subsidy for this), I would assume that many more are moving to China and Vietnam?

The school in question had a great reputation when it first opened (no competition back then), somewhat lost that as other schools opened but more recently had regained its reputation based on the quality of teaching staff employed. It's been 2-3 years since it regained that status so there's a very good chance the traditional private school dynamics prevail here.

Edited by NanLaew

Having taught at one of the top tier International schools in BKK over a number of years, I agree with the poster who mentioned that parents send their kids to an international school largely for the prestige and bragging rights, especially if it is a school with a high status and good reputation. I have seen many hi-so parents waste their money on children not particularly suited to a highly academic environment. Some of these schools have exclusively British or American curriculums (and staff) too, so are not truly International schools. Eg. Harrow, Shrewbury, ISB

Edited by Dodgydownunder

1 hour ago, Lingba said:

The school in focus is not an "International School" as that term is typically used. It is a Thai school (and by most estimates not a very good one) that offers an "English/International curriculum". Its non-Thai teachers are primarily from the Philippines, and not from English speaking countries and, to my knowledge, make no effort to comply (nor does it state that it is complying) with the established British/American core school curriculum. And, it is not especially expensive by private and certainly not by International school standards. No one gets a "status edge" by sending their kids to TSEB (or the other Thai schools like it), quite the contrary. And certainly their judgment and the concern for their children's best interest is questioned (perhaps correctly -- "is that the best you can do for your kids?" is often heard from other expat parents).

But no one is holding a gun to the heads of the parents that send their children to these private Thai schools masquerading as "International Schools" or trying to offer a more affordable alternative to the International Schools, and do not do a very good job of it. The parents can move their children to other schools at any time if they are not satisfied with the quality of the education that their children are getting -- "you vote with your feet".  It is time for these parents to look at the available options if their complaints are not immediately and satisfactorily addressed by the school. Pressure from the outside/government will not bring about the desired response from the school's administration if a concern about a mass exodus is not a sufficient motivating force to address the concerns quickly and effectively.

For parents living in the Pattaya area, education of their children is among the most difficult/frustrating aspects of life here. That schools like TSEB even exist and have substantial enrollment is a clear demonstration of how bad things really are.  To give your children a good/better education on par with the available education at a good government supported school in the US or UK is very expensive here, and certainly cannot be justified on a "value for money" basis. But for parents that care about their children and the education that they receive "value for money" cannot be the basis for choosing the school for their children. The last one out please turn off the lights........

6 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

Headline should be in the plural.

I myself graduated from an International School in Bangkok and our tuition fee increases every f***ing year. The Director has promised a swimming pool and other amenities but never fullfilled. The worst part is that if the school isn't even accredited by the Dept. Of Education then the graduates will be having a real hard time being accepted in University.

23 minutes ago, Dodgydownunder said:

Having taught at one of the top tier International schools in BKK over a number of years, I agree with the poster who mentioned that parents send their kids to an international school largely for the prestige and bragging rights, especially if it is a school with a high status and good reputation. I have seen many hi-so parents waste their money on children not particularly suited to a highly academic environment. Some of these schools have exclusively British or American curriculums (and staff) too, so are not truly International schools. Eg. Harrow, Shrewbury, ISB

Good points. One also has to consider the growing amount of expatriate worker families relocating to Thailand where part of the relocation package is the 100% payment of school fees by the employer. That mostly entails the kids being enrolled in the most prestigious and/or expensive school around without due dilligence, ie. regardless of the quality of education offered and the kids abilities.

1 hour ago, Dodgydownunder said:

Are you suggesting that Harrow Shrewsbury and ISB are not truly international schools? 

7 minutes ago, Jane Dough said:

Are you suggesting that Harrow Shrewsbury and ISB are not truly international schools? 

Yes. They are franchise operations of prominent private schools. They are not governed, supervised, managed or owned by the overseas school are they? 

Even where and organization does operate schools in more than one country, how would you define "international"?

Those who graduated or taught in the "real international schools" will know these problems do not exist. Last time I remembered, there are only 4 "real international schools" in Thailand. All these other so-called franchise copies don't make the cut. Students graduating from these 4 international schools have no problems whatsoever getting into the top universities around the world. ISB and RIS are one of the 4, make a phone call to anyone on the school grounds, ask them who they compete with for student activities (sports, music, knowledge bowl) and you will find out the other 2 real international schools.

Edited by JacChang

2 hours ago, Jane Dough said:

2 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

Yes. They are franchise operations of prominent private schools. They are not governed, supervised, managed or owned by the overseas school are they? 

Even where and organization does operate schools in more than one country, how would you define "international"?

No idea about Harrow. But ISB certainly is a real international school.

How we define international, is the standards set forth in the curriculum and how the graduating students compare to the international equivalents. The high school courses will have included the International Baccalaureate programs and Advanced Placement programs for the students to choose. There scores and performance shows what kind of students the international schools provide. These information are openly available.

Edited by JacChang

3 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

Of course those schools are international schools! They provide tuition in English and a curriculum based on the British or American system which will provide students with a recognised 'certificate' or qualifications that enable them to spply for entry to universities around the world.