3BB - Internet International Surfing

StarJedi

HI,

I am with 3BB on the VDSL 30/ 5 MB program.

I understand that they throttle down the speed for international surfing.

I understand that by paying an extra 200 bahts per month it can increase the speed for sites outside Thailand.

Anybody try it? What kind of speed can I expect? The 3BB people support people can't say.

Also, I plan to change my router for the TP-Link AC 1200 (VR400), it seems that it can handle either ADSL or VDSL or Fiber, anybody can confirm?

Thanks.

20170215_100104.jpg

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Coming soon - 3BBFarang The better choice for alien surfing.

The statement on that promo leaflet alone would force me to switch ISP.

TP-Link AC 1200 - lots of features built to a cheap price.

Edited by maxpower

6 hours ago, muratremix said:

Why don't you pay 200 baht more and give it a try, if there are no 12 month contracts?

Because I would have to upgrade to the 50/10 plan, not available on the 30 / 5 program, and that would be for the 7 months remaining on my contract.

The 3 BB people cannot tell me what the approximate difference in speed would be.

11 hours ago, StarJedi said:

Also, I plan to change my router for the TP-Link AC 1200 (VR400), it seems that it can handle either ADSL or VDSL or Fiber, anybody can confirm?

You can definitely NOT connect a fibre optic cable (connector).

See the schematic on the website:

http://www.tp-link.co.th/products/details/cat-15_Archer-VR400.html

("Versatile Connectivity")

"3BB Inter":

I remember a mate told me in 2011 that he (then) had a 3BB "international"/"plus"? package. 2500 (!) Baht for some x Mbit/s at the time.

Is the new offer a surprise (to me)? Not really.

At least they unveil that the inflated MBit/s numbers have little to do with "inter"(national)net.

Bandwidth on sea-cables is still limited and expensive.

Care for some simple math?

Assume just one million users want to download with 100 MBit/s from international sites (via sea-cable). Makes 100 Terabit/s.

One of the main cables to Europe is SEA-ME-WE5.

It has 24 TBit/s and is shared by multiple countries from Asia to Europe.

Many cables through the Pacific are still in the single digit range.

Biggest cable I am aware is ROTACS with 60 TBit/s connecting China, Japan and Russia with Europe.

http://cablemap.info/

You can't trust 3BB and international speed.  No need to pay extra money , it's just random if it's fast or not. 

Yes, exactly! I can confirm this.

Most services like Google, Facebook or YouTube have local servers and are not «international» connections.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

3BB 50/10 VDSL is now available at my village house. I will subscribe to the normal service and see how it goes with services in Australia and UK knowing that the inter option is there. At the end of the day I would be happy with a steady 5mbps as 3mbps has just been enough in the past.

I've got the VR400, seems a very good router, far better than the stock 3BB one. I am happy with 3bb's 30/5 very few problems. I was also considering upgrading to the 50/10 for an extra 110 baht a month but wonder if, in real life, i would get any faster speeds.

I'm also not convinced that it makes any difference.

I have the regular 200mb fiber Does anyone here have this connection?

Here is my speedtest to an american server (San Francisco, Comcast server)

6056936527.png

I don't think 207ms is a bad ping for this distance. The Down/Up speed could be faster though, it's nowhere near the 200/50 it should be. 

Here is my test to Bangkok (3BB hosted) server btw:

6056939907.png

If anyone has the inter version, would be nice to see a comparison.

Edited by FarangFB

17 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

You can definitely NOT connect a fibre optic cable (connector).

See the schematic on the website:

http://www.tp-link.co.th/products/details/cat-15_Archer-VR400.html

("Versatile Connectivity")

"3BB Inter":

I remember a mate told me in 2011 that he (then) had a 3BB "international"/"plus"? package. 2500 (!) Baht for some x Mbit/s at the time.

Is the new offer a surprise (to me)? Not really.

At least they unveil that the inflated MBit/s numbers have little to do with "inter"(national)net.

Bandwidth on sea-cables is still limited and expensive.

Care for some simple math?

Assume just one million users want to download with 100 MBit/s from international sites (via sea-cable). Makes 100 Terabit/s.

One of the main cables to Europe is SEA-ME-WE5.

It has 24 TBit/s and is shared by multiple countries from Asia to Europe.

Many cables through the Pacific are still in the single digit range.

Biggest cable I am aware is ROTACS with 60 TBit/s connecting China, Japan and Russia with Europe.

http://cablemap.info/

You are correct. You can only connect a Fibre Cable to a Fibre Router. If you really want to get crazy you can do as I do.

I have the 3BB Fibre Router and connect an Apple Airport Extreme. I connect all my Apple stuff via wifi to it.

I have a Buffalo Airstation Extreme AC-1750 DD-WRT  Router configured as an IPTV DNS Server running Getflix.  

I connect all my TV's and Android/Kodi Boxes to the Buffalo Router.

Yes, A bit of overkill, but I never have a buffering issue and can connect to Sling TV or any other US provider.

I do have 3BB 200/50 Mbps service now but for B200 I may check out the Intl package.

8 hours ago, juehoe said:

Yes, exactly! I can confirm this.

Most services like Google, Facebook or YouTube have local servers and are not «international» connections.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

That's true, but you also get local content. I like to watch CNN- US and you need a US server for that. 

When I used YouTube  CNN US Live locally,  I could never get full HD.. 720 was the best available. I get full HD when logged into the US site.

2 hours ago, FarangFB said:

6056936527.png

I don't think 207ms is a bad ping for this distance. The Down/Up speed could be faster though, it's nowhere near the 200/50 it should be. 

No one from 3BB has ever promised that their INTERNATIONAL connections to places like the U.S. (in your example above) are going to match the service maximums of their 200/50 Mbps fiber plan. The 200/50 numbers have always and only been shown as maximums for domestic Thailand usage.

On 2/15/2017 at 4:46 PM, Linesy said:

Never seen that before, a placebo or a value added service and how to quantify. Guess we will have to wait for any subscriber reviews if they exist.

They have always had a premier package - I pay 976.15B monthly - I was getting slow DL speeds from my server in France on a standard package and this was the best they offered, other than a dedicated line. It has a capped number of connections - I have been happy with it, and never had any issues with the service.

Edited by recom273

7 hours ago, Henryford said:

I've got the VR400, seems a very good router, far better than the stock 3BB one. I am happy with 3bb's 30/5 very few problems. I was also considering upgrading to the 50/10 for an extra 110 baht a month but wonder if, in real life, i would get any faster speeds.

You'll get faster speeds in Thailand, google services, singapore services and other singapore based peerings. Will you feel the difference? Probably not.

I upgraded to the 3BB VDSL 50/10 in June and watch BBC iPlayer, SKY and Netflix(UK & USA, thru a VPN), never had any problems, watching live or downloading, I also have flawless IPTV, didn't know about this international add-on, but at the moment I don't need it !.

7 hours ago, FarangFB said:

6056936527.png

5 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

No one from 3BB has ever promised that their INTERNATIONAL connections to places like the U.S. (in your example above) are going to match the service maximums of their 200/50 Mbps fiber plan. The 200/50 numbers have always and only been shown as maximums for domestic Thailand usage.

I agree, the higher speed makes a difference only for servers in Thailand.

I still have a 3BB copper connection for 630 THB per month. According to the router I have:

- Downstream: 18845 Kbps

- Upstream: 639 Kbps.

Speedtest from Frankfurt in Germany currently shows 14 Mbps down and 550 Kbps up.

I regularly download videos larger than 1.5 GB from Germany with 12 to 16 Mbps.

The 200 Mbps fiber isn't really faster for this usage. I wouldn't pay 1 Baht for that. And I neither want to have an additional box nor an additional possible point of failure.

8 hours ago, FarangFB said:

6056936527.png

Here is my test to Bangkok (3BB hosted) server btw:

6056939907.png

If anyone has the inter version, would be nice to see a comparison.

I've just had the fibre rolled up the roads here in Phuket, I'm on their 200meg international package. Strangely I get about 20-30 down  and around twice that down.  But I'm not losing anything when I use international sites except on the latency. 

1 hour ago, james2m said:

I've just had the fibre rolled up the roads here in Phuket, I'm on their 200meg international package. Strangely I get about 20-30 down  and around twice that down.  But I'm not losing anything when I use international sites except on the latency. 

3BB have satisfied the contract - 200Mbs to the end of the Soi 

I have 3bb for a few years and am happy with it. I can watch NHL..utube netflix and the little lady watches thai tv that I hate. But it has worked great and got no reason to get the fiber. If it ain't broken leave it alone.

I live about 12 km NE of Surin and about 1 km from the nearest village. I have the 3BB fiber 590 baht package. I stream a lot of US  television through my laptop to my TV.  I also have a PS4 console playing online games and regularly connect through the US  server. I have never experienced any problems with low speeds or high latency conditions.with 3BB. I use the Chrome extension "Hola" as a vpn to watch Amazon Prime, NBC and other channels that restrict streaming outside the US or those sites blocked by Thai government.  Very satisfied with 3BB.

8 hours ago, rapom said:

I live about 12 km NE of Surin and about 1 km from the nearest village. I have the 3BB fiber 590 baht package. I stream a lot of US  television through my laptop to my TV.  I also have a PS4 console playing online games and regularly connect through the US  server. I have never experienced any problems with low speeds or high latency conditions.with 3BB. I use the Chrome extension "Hola" as a vpn to watch Amazon Prime, NBC and other channels that restrict streaming outside the US or those sites blocked by Thai government.  Very satisfied with 3BB.

3BB have just run cable (no fiber available)into our village which only yesterday we signed up to paying 1400 baht deposit with installation in about ten days. The guys that came round said only the lower speed ADSL 30/5 would be available so no point signing up to the 50/10 I wanted. Seems a bit odd for a recently installed cable but maybe due to our location? I want to watch tv and ditch True when my 50% promotion ends. AIS worked fine as the mast was in our garden but unfeasibly expensive on a mobile package. Am I likely to be disappointed?

8 hours ago, rapom said:

I use the Chrome extension "Hola" as a vpn to watch Amazon Prime, NBC and other channels that restrict streaming outside the US or those sites blocked by Thai government.  Very satisfied with 3BB.

Be careful using Hola.

Ultra-popular Hola VPN extension sold your bandwidth for use in a botnet attack

Sometimes a free service isn’t really free and you can end up paying for it in unexpected ways. If you’re running the Chrome extension Hola Better Internet or the Firefox add-on Hola Unblocker, well, that’s exactly what’s happening. What’s more, your payment might be unwitting participation in a botnet, according to one site moderator.

Hola is a very popular virtual private network (VPN) service that routes your traffic through different countries to mask your true location. That way you can defeat regional restrictions to watch the American version of Netflix from Argentina or BBC’s iPlayer from the U.S.

Read the full story here.