Video: Nasty scam targeting old pick-ups caught on tape

webfact

38 minutes ago, steve187 said:

are we watching the same clip,

when the pick up first comes into view, the white car is in the nearside lane, the black car in the middle , pick up moves to the offside lane to overtake, as he does so the white car pulls right up his backside, pushing him on, he then starts to pull back to the middle lane, as the pickup is straddling the centre line the black car speeds up and the white car pulls along side him, making him the meat in the sandwich,( one more in front and one behind and it would be a good police stop.) there is no need to watch as i have explained it as simply as i can

I was thinking had the pick-up got a basic forward facing  dash cam or maybe even  back and front - it would of captured little of this action against it  - if any -  that would constitute  as real evidence.   Well thought out and executed scam.  Indeed wonder what they are earning a day from it.   

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

6 hours ago, petesc55 said:

How can you tell the difference between a vehicular scammer, and your average thai driver?

I'm confused?

I see all vehicles involved screwing up.    

The average Thai driver will be using his mobile phone whilst driving

and not paying any attention to anything that's  going on around him / her.

The scammer on the other hand, will be concentrating on scamming,  not using the phone  and will be concentrating on what's going on around him  :thumbsup:

5 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Surely this does not make sense,they damage 2 cars by squeezing

a pickup,then demand 8,000 for damage,it would cost more to have

the cars repaired ?,so unless the cars are stolen,this crime will not pay.

regards worgeordie

Farang think too much!

6 hours ago, worgeordie said:

regards worgeordie

8 hours ago, webfact said:

Pairoj stopped for gas but continuing his journey said that he saw the same black car involved in a dispute with another old pick-up by the side of the road. This time he had no footage and decided he could not meddle but he called the police and told them about what he had seen.

Since the OP say they don't seams to fix the car before next victim is targeted.

I don't see the problem.

5 hours ago, JacChang said:

They find 8 pick ups to crash per day. 64,000 per day. They don't intent on fixing until at the end of the month when they count their revenue of 1.9million. They then get an expensive paint job, plus full wax and polish done at 100,000 each for two cars. Good profit.

Makes sense to me. well, I hope they throw the book at em'.

9 hours ago, prakhonchai nick said:

If the pick up driver drove sensibly and correctly (ie in the inside lane) it would not have happened.

What a load of waffle! If you re-examine the footage, you'll see (at 17:31) that the pick-up driver was in the middle lane. He then moved out into the outside lane to overtake the black vehicle. That's when the white car came swooshing in behind him. From that point on the driver was pinned in between the black and white car. Where, in your opinion, should the pick-up driver have overtaken the black car? Please don't tell me you think he should have overtaken it on the inside lane! Or maybe he should have just flown over the black car...? Or maybe because it's a pick-up he shouldn't be overtaking.

This looked like it was planned and well rehearsed by the bloke in the black car and eventually the fella in the white one too - don't blame the pick-up driver. He's the vistim her, not the culprit.

What a load of nonsense!

Edited by djayz

My cam has front and rear video.4000 baht

So is that 2 cams or does the front one have a rear facing camera (like a phone) which films through the car out the back windscreen? I ask because I often feel that most of the danger coming for me is from behind (not in a Patpong kinda way though) :P

16 hours ago, just bob said:

Its not only Thailand.  I had a scammer cut in front of me and put on the brakes driving a beat up Ford Taurus in the good old USA.  The cops came and were wise to the trick and told the offender's to sod off.  The automotive version of ransomware.  F#@kers anyway...

I have a friend in the Netherlands, Rotterdam, who told me that one scammer was waiting in a beat up old car in a side road and one was waiting on the corner as a lookout.

When the one at the corner saw a car approaching he gave a sign to the one waiting who then came roaring out the side street and, you guessed it, BANG!

He was in his right because he had the right of way, demanding a hefty sum as compensation.

Few times a day.

21 hours ago, petesc55 said:

How can you tell the difference between a vehicular scammer, and your average thai driver?

I'm confused?

I see all vehicles involved screwing up.    

Agreed, this looks like normal thai driving. 

- Sedan #1 tailgating because he wants to get through and he thinks that's the best way

- Pickup change lanes left to give way

- Sedan #2 feeling his manhood threatened by the pickup merging in front of him accelerates to block the pickup

15 hours ago, ThaiWai said:

You get what you pay for.  Low res means no plate numbers.  Check out the HD Xiaomi Dashcam on Aliexpress. Has app that lets you download videos at the scene.  I just got 2.

Screen Shot 2017-02-15 at 5.23.24 PM.png

The Yi is an OK dashcam.  I brought one with me from the US and have been using it in thailand for the last ten days.    (Amazon in the US had them for $50, (Gray color only) which is a deal)

The overall video is pretty good.  There are some reports of the camera going out of focus when it gets hot, or in hot weather.  (thailand)    The wifi/smartphone app is kind of fun, and a little handy to play with settings on the cam.    I like it, overall.   You need something to protect yourself from the 2 and 4 legged beasts on the roads here.

Plate number capture ability is somewhat over-rated.   I drive 140,000 miles a year with dash cams, and have used dash cams for 3 plus years.    

The Yi must suck, I can't read a single plate number in this video. :(

Edited by petesc55

15 hours ago, manhood said:

Just do a hard left turn as the pick up driver and the black car is sent to the ditch.....go on driving and not worry

reminds me on my time living in Venezuela....you never stop , better take the gun and shoot...hahahahaha thats how i have learned to survive these things

"Just do a hard left turn as the pick up driver and the black car is sent to the ditch"....... Then wipe out the old 'Walther PPK from my tuxedo, 'double-tap' the other bad guy..... And do this all still stroking miss Money-Penny's knee. Then drive on to the Ambassador’s cocktail party for champagne and some ferrero rocher.

20 hours ago, worgeordie said:

regards worgeordie

I was trying to work that one out too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

17 hours ago, evadgib said:

Can anyone recommend front and rear HD version suitable for a pickup and capable of reading numberplates by day or night? My current cam is pretty good but needs an upgrade.

Note: I want the rear of the pickup (Vigo) covered rather than the inside as per a duel lens model. I'll probably need a monitor/console/screen thing too as there isn't one in the car.

Having read reviews this is what I just got a friend to bring over from the uk that I sourced on eBay. Nextbase Duo.It ticks all the boxes and have to say it is an impressive bit of kit that switches itself off and on when you start/turn off the engine . Even has a parking mode that will switch itself on of it senses an impact. £200 list price but I got it for £115 . 

IMG_0292.JPG

42 minutes ago, nchuckle said:

Having read reviews this is what I just got a friend to bring over from the uk that I sourced on eBay. Nextbase Duo.It ticks all the boxes and have to say it is an impressive bit of kit that switches itself off and on when you start/turn off the engine . Even has a parking mode that will switch itself on of it senses an impact. £200 list price but I got it for £115 . 

IMG_0292.JPG

Great!

Does the rear camera record the inside of the car or the back of the road?

23 minutes ago, Morakot said:

Great!

Does the rear camera record the inside of the car or the back of the road?

It is a zoom lense that records approaching traffic through the rear screen as long as middle of rear seat  is not obstructed  . Each camera independently moves in a horizontal plane for adjustment while the whole camera body moves in the vertical plane. The screen is split showing rear and forward views simultaneously  for fine adjustments . Very easy.

1 hour ago, nchuckle said:

IMG_0292.JPG

Appreciated, but this won't be any good for rear of pickup.