Yingluck questions reconciliation, justice of decision to seize her assets before court ruling

webfact

Yingluck questions reconciliation, justice of decision to seize her assets before court ruling
By THE NATION

e7d42f9bcdac45dd979cc897f20cc9fb.jpeg

Yingluck

BANGKOK: -- FORMER PRIME minister Yingluck Shinawatra yesterday accused the government of being unfair in rushing to seize her assets despite a pending court ruling.

Yingluck recently filed a petition at the Administrative Court seeking a revocation of an executive order to seize assets worth Bt36 billion on grounds that her government’s rice-pledging scheme had caused massive damages to the state. She also asked the court for an injunction to block the government from seizing her assets. 

However, Deputy Prime Minister Wissanu Krea-ngam on Tuesday ordered agencies to proceed with the seizure of Yingluck’s assets and not to wait for the court’s ruling. He also said if the court ordered an injunction later, the government did not need to return the seized assets. 

“I don’t understand why the government’s legal expert expressed their own opinions to order [the action]. It’s not fair. They are aware that I’m now seeking an injunction [to block the seizure] from the court,” Yingluck posted on Facebook. “Society now needs to see reconciliation. Judging from the remark, can society hope for justice from the government?” 

Full story: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30306444

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-02-16

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have no sympathy for her, she played at being a prime minister & made life very difficult for opponents and critics during her time in office. Her ambivalence to what was endemic corruption in the rice scheme I personally believe makes her liable for some kind of punitive sanction.

My sympathies lie with those (poor) people jailed for say, picking mushrooms illegal logging, framed for vehicle crashes in provinces they don't reside in, selling 2nd hand cd's, saying "ja" on a private email, stuff like that.

I hope the junta actually take the hard line on this case. They seem to get off on sticking it to the weak and defenseless. This case has nothing to do with reconciliation, it has everything to do with criminal mismanagement and negligence.

If she is smart she will have money in overseas banks, stable countries. This proves it is not wise to keep too much money in third world banks as politicians can come after it. Remember what they did in Argentina the government converted all the US dollar bank accounts into Argentinian pesos then devalued them.

However, Deputy Prime Minister Wissanu Krea-ngam on Tuesday ordered agencies to proceed with the seizure of Yingluck’s assets and not to wait for the court’s ruling. He also said if the court ordered an injunction later, the government did not need to return the seized assets. 

It is fair to say that I'm not a fan, but why bother going to court then? Take her assets, then if the courts try to stop it, ignore them, impossible to support that.

Reconciliation is only about me.. as per usual YL is crying again. She should not have been a puppet for her brother and she should have taken her job as chairman of the rice program serious. She said it was cost neutral, did not reserve money for it in the central budget, bullied and threatened people who showed it was not cost neutra 500 billion is hardly cost neutral. Then she said no corruption.. and there was a huge corruption case of fake G2G deals by her own top ministers. If she was so blind (or it was on purpose) its gross derelict of duty at the least.

She made heer bed.. now let her lie in it. Reconciliation is not about forgiving past crimes.  

Yingluck is clearly being vigorously pursued out of political reasons. There can be no serious doubt about that. However, she is (it seems to me) at the very least guilty of mismanagement and incompetence, and that should not go unpunished.

Yet mismanagement and incompetence are far lesser crimes than overpowering injustice, cowardly oppression and vicious tyranny ...

Well given that the courts operate on forever time, Yinluck and her descendants would have long ago shipped the cash offshore if assets arnt seized now.  Besides there is no place for silly shenanigans such as due process and fair trial by an objective court in a military dictatorship and there hasnt been to date in Thailand anyway.  It is to some extent Yinluck and her brothers reckless policies that lead to this present, arguably sorry, state of affairs.  Perhaps if they had cleaned up the court system and government in general while they were in power, it wouldn't all be as it is now.

Edited by Jimbo2014

Like her or not her government was more accepting of foreigners than the junta. As a foreigner my interests come first. since the junta took power the anti-foreigner sentiment has only gone up. Truth is the thaksin party is more accepting of foreigners than other yellow shirts for example

They have seized her assets so that they don't get lost, US and other countries does it all the time. One example is Kim Dotcom that has his assets seized and he is still not convicted... hell he's even waiting to see if New Zealand will extradite him to US for his trile!

Former Elected Prime Minister Yingluck knows through past junta's and as a young child growing up in Thailand that Junta's rule for themselves not the people and you don't Question, for Junta's are always lead by generals , who no one questions, courts are of minor importance and rights are not recognized.................................:coffee1:

6 minutes ago, Caca4u said:

Like her or not her government was more accepting of foreigners than the junta. As a foreigner my interests come first. since the junta took power the anti-foreigner sentiment has only gone up. Truth is the thaksin party is more accepting of foreigners than other yellow shirts for example

It was for instance Thaksin who implemented the 90 days reporting again, and under the PTP there was the crackdown on tourist visa's, i think the junta implemented the reporting of address. None of them are too fond of foreigners. 

But i fail to see how this is relevant to the topic at hand.

5 minutes ago, Caca4u said:

Maybe they where better for us foreigners but as my Thai friends said: "In the past corruption was 5-10% then Thaksin came to power and then you had to pay 35-50% under the table for a government contract!" and frankly the problem with Yingluck was not her as a prime minister but that her brother was calling the shoots from his self imposed exile!

26 minutes ago, Eligius said:

Yingluck is clearly being vigorously pursued out of political reasons. There can be no serious doubt about that. However, she is (it seems to me) at the very least guilty of mismanagement and incompetence, and that should not go unpunished.

Yet mismanagement and incompetence are far lesser crimes than overpowering injustice, cowardly oppression and vicious tyranny ...

I think if you look at any country you could find that incompetence and mismanagement are the norm , West Oz is having an election in march , the crowd that's in at the moment LNP squandered 50 Billion into the red  and they started with 10 billion in the green and they area seeking re-election, depends if a general is running the country , the layman's terminology is at the time it seemed like a good idea.

6 minutes ago, robblok said:

It was for instance Thaksin who implemented the 90 days reporting again, and under the PTP there was the crackdown on tourist visa's, i think the junta implemented the reporting of address. None of them are too fond of foreigners. 

But i fail to see how this is relevant to the topic at hand.

Thaksin also brought in the 14 day arrival cards, except airport arrival.

6 minutes ago, Kasset Tak said:

Maybe they where better for us foreigners but as my Thai friends said: "In the past corruption was 5-10% then Thaksin came to power and then you had to pay 35-50% under the table for a government contract!" and frankly the problem with Yingluck was not her as a prime minister but that her brother was calling the shoots from his self imposed exile!

The whole lot rested on the amnesty bill that never happened Yingluck was left holding the baby , not that she isn't qualified , she has a degree in Political Science, so she if anyone and Abhisit certainly know about real Democracy not Thai Democracy , but you can see what you're up against with the military and HI- So running the place. 

17 minutes ago, Eligius said:

For all her faults and flaws, Yingluck seems like an angel compared with what has come after her ...

Flawed, true, but she like all her family actual work hard.  You actually see them doing things.  The junta likes big talk and setting up endless committees which lack focus.  Sadly, Shinawatras made bad decisions, but the money taken from them will probably not deter them.  They still have a very strong following.  Just hope they choose great governance over self fulfillment in the future. 

A salutary lesson for all: judicial process counts for little in this Brave New World. Some would say this only relates to a politician but it will/should have the investment community anxious that unelected officials can make such a determination while legal proceedings are underway but prior to a judgement. Another own goal.

22 minutes ago, yellowboat said:

Flawed, true, but she like all her family actual work hard.  You actually see them doing things.  The junta likes big talk and setting up endless committees which lack focus.  Sadly, Shinawatras made bad decisions, but the money taken from them will probably not deter them.  They still have a very strong following.  Just hope they choose great governance over self fulfillment in the future. 

Just like the army has shown countless coups the Shins have always chosen self fulfillment so don't hold your breath. 

If they continue to seize her assets based on this information it proves there is no due process and there will be no justice here in Thailand

Regardless she has a right due process from judges not someone in governement that does not like her

He has no right to just say Oh seize her assets 

Load of crap