The case of a taxi driver who refused a passenger in Bangkok is all over the Thai news

webfact

The case of a taxi driver who refused a passenger in Bangkok is all over the Thai news

3apm.JPEG

Image: Manager Online

BANGKOK: -- For the passenger in question who was denied a ride was not an ordinary member of the public but a public prosecutor. Then a policeman actually turned up to arrest him rather than the rogue driver.

The driver had no idea about his passenger's job. Furious when the passenger, aged 54, told him he was breaking the law by not accepting him the driver phoned a policeman "friend" who arrived on a motorcycle to arrest the passenger, reported Manager Online.

But when confronted with the truth about the passenger's job he backed down and appeared to arrest the driver instead.

Now the cop has disappeared and the head of the metropolitan force has got involved in the saga as the case is set to run though the courts.

3bpm.JPEG

Image:  Manger Online

The story of the incident appeared on the Facebook page of prominent human rights lawyer Songkan Atchariyasap who is acting for the public prosecutor who has not been named.

Songkan said that the incident started on February 10th at 9pm when the driver of a green and yellow taxi with the license plate 7978 (Bangkok) refused to take the man after he hailed the cab outside the Narai Hotel in Silom.

The man said to the driver: "That's illegal you know".

At this point the angry driver got out of the cab and made a phone call saying pointedly to someone on the end of the line: "Are you free? We have a passenger f**king me about. Please come and arrest him", reported Manager Online.

(The driver used the term 'guan teen' in talking about the passenger's behavior; that term has the force of the English expletive above).

Some 15 minutes later two police arrived on a patrol motorcycle and the cop on the back got off and made as if to arrest the passenger who said:

"So you are arresting me on what charge exactly? Don't you think it would be better for you to arrest the driver for refusing a passenger?

The cop then said: "So who are you then?"

"I'm an attorney, a public prosecutor," came the reply.

At this point things changed and within no time the cop had turned his attention to the driver and took him away.

However, the case has now taken a new twist. The attorney would not let it rest and followed up the case by calling the local police station who told him that the policeman concerned was not from their jurisdiction.

They stated that no record of the incident had been filed with the duty officer.

Lawyer Songkan - who has been involved in the high profile Lady Kai case - said:

"So who was that policeman? And more to the point if that passenger was not a high profile public prosecutor and just an ordinary member of the public, what would have happened to him?"

Not surprisingly given the nature of the passenger's job the case is now set to run through the courts with metropolitan police chief Sanit Mahathavorn getting involved in the fallout.

Source: Manager Online

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-02-16

Wow! Monty Python, eat your heart out. What a circus from the police and the taxi driver. 

"What are you arresting me for?" to which the copper asks; "So who are you then?" Brilliant! No need to explain why he's being arrested at all. Just 'You're nicked". I love the strict procedures used when enforcing the laws here. So officious. Also, didn't the copper arrive with his mate on a motorbike? Is the copper's mate walking back to the station or was the arrestee going to walk? Normally you'd have a car at the ready when you take someone down to the station. Or maybe arrest him and give a ticket with a fine? Really! Who knows?

The taxi driver showing a very very scary mentality. "How dare you point out me being bad when I'm doing something bad!" The taxi driver should have just driven off. You usually can't have your cake and eat it. 

the case is now set to run through the courts with metropolitan police chief Sanit Mahathavorn getting involved in the fallout.

Poor Sanit, now I understand his involvement with ThaiBev... if your workforce consists of over 90% of idiots, you have to stay medicated consistently...

6 minutes ago, Ratcher said:

I get refused by taxi drivers in BKK regularly. If they don't want to go then that's it. Just look for the next taxi, plenty about. 

Plenty more breaking the law, far too many of them in fact. The more people complain and, 11900 have in the past 4 months the more likely things are to get better. The dumb mai pen rai attitude just perpetuates crap service, or rather no service

14 minutes ago, Ratcher said:

I get refused by taxi drivers in BKK regularly. If they don't want to go then that's it. Just look for the next taxi, plenty about. 

Always amazes me how expact loose all their abilities to defend their rights or ethics in this country.

Should it happen in Europe or USA , you would read about : Did they drive refused my because i was black , because i was gay , ...

Here it seems arbitrary decisions makes you happy every day.

Those guys are congestionning traffic , they have to give something back if they dont want to be replaced by a better transportation infrastructure. Everything is a deal in life and if you dont comply with your side of the contract you should get a penalty for this.

2 hours ago, webfact said:

The cop then said: "So who are you then?"

Therein is one problem of corruption in Thailand.

And the prosecutor rather than answering "a citizen," replied as part of the same problem - I am someone special.

Equality in Thailand under the eyes of the law - not now or soon.

6 minutes ago, Jimbo2014 said:

Love the bling! - Biggie Small would be envious.  

That's actually the human rights lawyer...and those are good luck charms....he needs all the supernatural help he can get.

Edited by Sphere

Taxi drivers refusing passengers seems to be happening more often then before. About two months back I was at the corner of Sukhumvit and Nana Nua. I broke my big toe, so was wearing a cast. Instead of walking to Nana BTS to take the skytrain to Thong Lor, I wanted to take the cab to Thong Lor BTS. A simple 60 baht drive, only going straight, traffic was ok and repeat business guarantheed. Yet I was refused by four taxis, until the fifth showed up, I got in, stated my destination, and had no intention to get out of the cab before he would take me to my intended destination.

If you refuse rides like this, why drive a taxi in the first place, it's beyond stupid, wasting precious fuel driving along Sukhumvit empty..

Edited by sjaak327

3 hours ago, webfact said:

The driver had no idea about his passenger's job. Furious when the passenger, aged 54, told him he was breaking the law by not accepting him the driver phoned a policeman "friend" who arrived on a motorcycle to arrest the passenger, reported Manager Online.

But when confronted with the truth about the passenger's job he backed down and appeared to arrest the driver instead.

Oops...friends in low places carry no worth it seems.

Edited by Bluespunk

39 minutes ago, Srikcir said:

Therein is one problem of corruption in Thailand.

And the prosecutor rather than answering "a citizen," replied as part of the same problem - I am someone special.

Equality in Thailand under the eyes of the law - not now or soon.

I might be wrong, but I believe the prosecutor must identify himself as a public prosecutor when asked by the police.  I know in some countries they are supposed to identify themselves clearly.  So he may not have done it to get special treatment, but rather, to stay on the right side of the law.

I get refused by Taxi Drivers so often I would never have thought it was illegal.  I actually budget time or plan accordingly (knowing full well 9/10 (no exaggeration) taxi drivers will decline to take me to my destination).

Gets to the point I often don't go to some of the more congested areas during rush hour knowing full well it could take an hour to *Find* a taxi willing to take me back.

If it wasn't for TV I would never have guessed it was illegal.

Next you'll be telling me its illegal for motorcycles to be on sidewalks!

I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall. What a pity the prosecutor did not allow himself to be falsely arrested and then taken to the police station and he would have got the cab driver and the cop friend too!

I have almost has this experience - got a taxi outside Central with a large suitcase and he wanted to charge me 200 baht to go to soi 11 Suk. I kept saying meter. He refused eventually pulled over raising his hood/bonnet claiming that there was something wrong with his engine and was calling reinforcements, which I presumed were either fictions or his cop buddies. I waited for about 10 minutes, so as to cost him some business. As soon as I got out of his cab, he was off down the street with no engine trouble - what a pantomime!

2 hours ago, bodymassagemyfriend said:

Always amazes me how expact loose all their abilities to defend their rights or ethics in this country.

Should it happen in Europe or USA , you would read about : Did they drive refused my because i was black , because i was gay , ...

Here it seems arbitrary decisions makes you happy every day.

Those guys are congestionning traffic , they have to give something back if they dont want to be replaced by a better transportation infrastructure. Everything is a deal in life and if you dont comply with your side of the contract you should get a penalty for this.

Sorry but I have to agree with Ratcher on this one. Though you may have to wait a few minutes or more for a "friendly" taxi, I certainly wouldn't get into a hostile one. Just like I don't take right-of-way when large truck and trailer change into my lane without notice. Mai bpen rai is what every foreigner should learn.

1 hour ago, JayBird said:

I might be wrong, but I believe the prosecutor must identify himself as a public prosecutor when asked by the police.  I know in some countries they are supposed to identify themselves clearly.  So he may not have done it to get special treatment, but rather, to stay on the right side of the law.

sure

10 minutes ago, whaleboneman said:

Sorry but I have to agree with Ratcher on this one. Though you may have to wait a few minutes or more for a "friendly" taxi, I certainly wouldn't get into a hostile one. Just like I don't take right-of-way when large truck and trailer change into my lane without notice. Mai bpen rai is what every foreigner should learn.

Mai pen rai is for the lazy and those who just do not care. Good that thousands of people, almost all Thais and this prosecutor are standing up to these greedy law breaking pests. Nobody forces them to be taxi drivers but as they are they have laws and codes of service to adhere to.