Three teens blow themselves up making homemade bombs

webfact

Three teens blow themselves up making homemade bombs

5pm.jpg

Picture: Sanook

BANGKOK: -- Three teenagers were taken to hospital after they blew themselves up making homemade "ping pong bombs".

Police were called to a house in Soi Bunmee in the Bang Saothong district of Samut Prakarn yesterday following an explosion.

Three teens suffered suffered injuries to their hands and bodies in a downstairs room. They were taken to Bang Bor Hospital after treatment at the scene, reported sanook.com.

Police found firecrackers used for hunting birds and a liquid in a jug used for making the devices.

Officers investigating said they thought that the teens had emptied the gunpowder from the firecrackers in an attempt to make ping pong bombs.

But due to a lack of knowledge about how to make the devices they had only succeeded in blowing themselves up.

Source: Sanook

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-02-16

When I was 10-12 years old I would go to our local drugstore and buy potassium nitrate, sulphur and charcoal. I could also buy potassium permagnenate and glycerine, and iodine and ammonia, and nitric acid. 

I made gunpowder, contact explosives, chemical fire, nitrogen triiodide and just about anything else that blew up, spontaneously combusted or made pretty colors when it burned. My favorite book was organic chemistry. 

I never blew up anything that wasn't mine (or my parent's), never killed animals, never bombed anything, never hurt anything or anyone else. 

Back then it was good, clean educational fun. When I was in high school I got A's in chemistry. 

Today if you have any of those chemicals in certain countries (US), you're a terrorist. 

I think the nanny state is getting out of hand. 

Except for the mention of intending to use them to kill birds, I can't see any reason to wish those kids who did something that was considered normal when I was that age to killed or maimed or neutered. 

2 hours ago, Canceraid said:

I pray that they loose their hands and also their eye sight but still live. That would be great for animals like these.

How do you know they are animals?   They could just be kids wanting to make a bigger bang.

When I was a teenager I regularly made pipe bombs, petrol bombs and all manner of other exploding or incendiary devices.    Never hurt myself or anyone else, nut had a lot of fun making things explode!

Usually some poor EOD tech gets called out as well to delouse whats left by the little darlings , with not much idea in what state said explosives are in.

1 hour ago, Guitar God said:

Except for the mention of intending to use them to kill birds

They werent to be used to kill birds, the gunpowder they obtained was from bird frighteners. They were making ping pong bombs to throw at who knows what.

So you want more access to immature fools or people with down right evil intent, nanny state indeed, volunteer to go help delouse a scene with ya whip chemistry knowledge.

When I was 10-12 years old I would go to our local drugstore and buy potassium nitrate, sulphur and charcoal. I could also buy potassium permagnenate and glycerine, and iodine and ammonia, and nitric acid. 

I made gunpowder, contact explosives, chemical fire, nitrogen triiodide and just about anything else that blew up, spontaneously combusted or made pretty colors when it burned. My favorite book was organic chemistry. 

I never blew up anything that wasn't mine (or my parent's), never killed animals, never bombed anything, never hurt anything or anyone else. 

Back then it was good, clean educational fun. When I was in high school I got A's in chemistry. 

Today if you have any of those chemicals in certain countries (US), you're a terrorist. 

Except for the mention of intending to use them to kill birds, I can't see any reason to wish those kids who did something that was considered normal when I was that age to killed or maimed or neutered. 

A friend of mine and I did the same thing when we were teens in Canada  Buy our own potassium nitrate (saltpetre), sulfur, and charcoal, checked out old books on how to make our own black powder. And that's what we did.   We built single shot pistols, glass jar grenades, (used long wicks from large packages of 2" firecrackers) .... had a lot of fun.  We were careful with the glass jar grenades....dug a trench and put them in there to go off..  so glass shrapnel would end up in the sides of the trench or go staight up in the air to fall back down... They went off beautifully with very loud "BOOMS"    LOL.  Our homemade single shot pistols worked very well too.... able to blow holes through wooden boards..     You could buy everything you needed to make this stuff and to make your own homemade black powder pistols.  But it would take a long time to reload after a shot. 

We never made any other explosive... just black powder.  But a cousin of mine who had his own chemistry lab in his parent's basement made nitroglycerin...he ended up in the hospital and in the newspaper when he blew up his parent's basement... all the basement windows blown out...  he suffered serious injuries... and was really lucky to live through it...  He was only 16 at the time.   This was back in the 1960's

2 hours ago, Guitar God said:

Another favourite back then was sodium chlorate mixed with sugar.  Demolished a few old walls in a disused nursery with that. Sodium chlorate was obtainable loose and cheap, from a hardware store, as it was used as a weedkiller, and still is, although it now contains a fire retardant.  I still have a book titled "The Young Chemist", which I acquired when I was about 12, which was the age group the book was aimed at.  Favourite chapter was the one entitled Fireworks and Flames.One of the experiments involved etching glass with hydrofluoric acid fumes, made by pouring nitric acid over crushed teeth.  Very nasty stuff!  

You know that youtube star in Thailand Mymatenate. Well my son enjoys watching him on youtube alot. There are similar channels aimed at the young teenager.

One of which is a kind of mythbusters style science channel. Some 14 year old Thai kid makes all sorts of small experiments and shows you all the steps how to do it at home.

I watch sometimes what my son is watching on his phone. Anyway this kid on the science channel is making ping pong bombs, using fireworks. Making all sorts of semi dangerous science experiments. My son loves it. He watches it everyday.

I guess thats the case in this story. Kids watching kids make small bombs on youtube try it at home only to nearly blow themselves up.

So in todays world in one bedroom is your son making a bomb using household products and in the other bedroom is your daughter stripping live stream on Bigo.

Why can't kids listen to music and smoke pot like I used to. Sheesh!

When we were kids I had an old German incendiary bomb, we used to drill it file it till we had lots to mix with potassium permanganate. Made a real good explosive ,we would wrap paper round a pencil and close the end with a piece of wire,then another wire halfway up followed by a mixture of potassium permanganate and sulphur that would be the fuse. never lost any fingers or caused any damage just made good homemade bangers.Another trick was to fill a bottle about 1/3 of the way with water then stuff grass into it followed by some carbide .As long as it stayed upright it was safe but if you tipped it on it's side and let the water at the carbide it would explode after a short while. HP sauce bottles were the best.

How some of you can find amusement at 3 kids becoming seriously injured beats me. Definitely sick and twisted in your heads.

Most of us done stupid things when we were young and the art of growing up is learning by experience. I hope these kids have learned their lessons and make full recoveries  without any permanent scars as any normal person would.

In a former life, location - Falls road, Divis flats, Belfast, circa 1973, a guy sitting in his lounge on the sofa, making a bomb to be used against God knows who, gets his wires crossed and bnag he is spread all over the place, when me and the team (EOD) arrived his kids were washing the walls down and telling folk that the TV had exploded, unfortunately they couldn't reach the Artex ceiling so we had to pick what was left of him from there, there was also a huge hole in the sofa into which most of him drained into, so no sympathy from me on this one.

I hope it teaches the numbskulls to leave that shit well alone. 

When I was a.kid...long time ago..you could by firecrackers..big ones 25 cents and smaller ones..the worst we did was blow up ant hills. No you can't buy them now. But when I lived in Spain there was this one day a year that all you could hear was firecrackers. It went on all night. Amazing really. Use go to the beach and it was incredible...non stop

Never forget that.