Relocating to Thailand, Few questions

xFury

Hello, I have a few question regarding moving permanently to Thailand for University and continue to live there till whenever. Tried to search but found some info that I would like clarification on. I believe I'm what most call a Dual citizen. US and Thai (Have a valid USA and Thailand passport). I want to relocate to Thailand in a month or so, and I want to bring some of my household stuff along with me. Mainly a 1 bed room size, not much items. 1 of each, all used. NO medicine or alcohol.

Whats the best way to move these items securely and within a budget? I read that container shipping is usually used but, I have no experience with them.

Items:

1x Mattress frame

1x Mattress

1x Drawer

1x Console system

1x Laptop Computer

1x Computer Desk

1x Computer Chair

Few misc household items

Clothes

Can I use my Thai passport to enter instead? Do I need to do anything special? Recently visited about 2 months ago, but they didn't stamp my Thai passport with the Depart stamp (Only have the arrive stamp), and renewed my Thai passport while I was visiting also. When I left I showed them both the Thai passport to leave, no issues leaving.

Thank you for your time!

Edited by xFury

Are these household items of very high quality or sentimental in some way?   If not, the cost of shipping may outweigh their replacement value.  Except for your clothes, consider selling then once you get here, find a place, you can buy new (or used) things. 

You can contact any number of shipping agents there and they'll provide an  estimate based on the few items you have listed above.  That will help you decide whether to ship or sell.

I'll let someone else answer the passport/shipping question.  When we moved over full-time, used my wife's "returning Thai citizen" allowance, but we had a lifetime of "stuff" and my company paid for it, so we shipped everything and the kitchen sink, and then some.

Edited by 55Jay

9 hours ago, 55Jay said:

Are these household items of very high quality or sentimental in some way?   If not, the cost of shipping may outweigh their replacement value.  Except for your clothes, consider selling then once you get here, find a place, you can buy new (or used) things. 

You can contact any number of shipping agents there and they'll provide an  estimate based on the few items you have listed above.  That will help you decide whether to ship or sell.

I'll let someone else answer the passport/shipping question.  When we moved over full-time, used my wife's "returning Thai citizen" allowance, but we had a lifetime of "stuff" and my company paid for it, so we shipped everything and the kitchen sink, and then some.

The items are in excellent condition, and prefer to keep it, but you do have a point on selling them and purchasing it in Thailand instead.

What do you recommened about the clothes? My clothes are about 2-3 Large Square boxes maybe. Gonna start packing soon and see what I have for clothes.

Any shipping agent you recommend? I tried to search some, but some website looks fishy.

8 hours ago, CharlieH said:

As mentioned above, disposal would be better than the hassle factor and cost of shipping/clearance and transportation,

To get an accurate answer on your passport, you would be best to ask in the Visa forum.

Will take this into consideration! Does have a good point.

After a lifetime of being an ex pat, I can assure you that hauling furniture around with you is a total waste of time, effort and money. Unless you have some item of sentimental value, sell it all off or donate it to a hospice.

The cost of shipping will outweigh the cost of replacement. The stress that trying to find out where and when your goods are being delivered to will add years to you.

Forget it, buy new when you get to where you are going. It's a no brainer.

6 hours ago, xFury said:

The items are in excellent condition, and prefer to keep it, but you do have a point on selling them and purchasing it in Thailand instead.

What do you recommened about the clothes? My clothes are about 2-3 Large Square boxes maybe. Gonna start packing soon and see what I have for clothes.

Any shipping agent you recommend? I tried to search some, but some website looks fishy.

Will take this into consideration! Does have a good point.

No recommendation from the US as we relocated from the middle east, but dude, just crack the yellow pages/Google and make a few inquiries.  Journey of a 1,000 miles begins with the first step, jump in there and git 'er done. 

As far as the clothes go, you might want to consider paying the airline you eventually fly on, for an additional suitcase/weight.  That's what I learned during a long, shopping spree trip back to the US a couple years ago.  Post Office estimated about $250 to send it all.  Korean Air's extra bag fee chart indicated about $100 something, so I bought a large, second hand suitcase at a consignment/junk shop for like $25 and packed it tight.

I go along with the idea of unless it is irreplaceable to you, sell there and buy new here...

One friend had his old computer shipped here... between shipping costs and then customs duty, he ended up with an old computer for the cost of a new computer... actually, the new computer would have been cheaper... 

They have no shortage of furniture and mattresses here... 

i relocated here several years ago & had about 23 boxes of stuff to move.  clothes, artwork, computer made sense.  In retrospect, all else was a waste & cheaper to replace here IF you really need it.

the kitchen, too much clothes (even after I donated 1/2), & decorative items should be tossed.  Best to get it to several boxes & pay airline for cargo shipment along with your ticket - it is cheaper than checked luggage, and the stuff gets here within days of your arrival.  I sold my ethan allen bed & crystal - & am glad I did.    Many rentals & some purchases of  housing ( especially condos)  are furnished or your stuff will not work as well as you think.  avoid hassles.  If you must ship a lot, start with a freight forwarder HERE in bangkok that you can work with, -get a quote & then get their contact partner in your country - big ones will have them, if not a branch office or agent of their own.  I brought my s - - t to their guy in Chicago, who had it all unloaded, plastic wrapped & ready on 2 pallets before the paperwork was done.  Next I saw the stuff was at the bangkok sea terminal  a month later, where I paid 1 time for the entire service - chicago warehouse to seaport, with customs & duty clearance, in 1 bill, in baht.  I found a local truck owner to drive the 2 pallets to northern area - with me in the cab to watch it all, for about 10,000 b.  I found out later that having the foreign owner with him guaranteed no hassles with checkpoints & he did not have to worry about what he was hauling.  

You also need to be aware of bogus Customs payment demands on shipping through Bangkok. When I brought my stuff that didn't involve furniture, only personal effects. I was made to pay B30,000 just to release it (no official paperwork and no receipt) and then I had to get it to Chiang Mai. And that was 14 years ago.

OP, what metro area are you living in now?  That might influence the best shipping options available for you.

As for moving, I'd agree with the comments above re furniture. Most housing here in Thailand comes furnished to some extent, usually including bed setup at least. And, the computer desk set is something easily obtained here, so no sense in shipping that.

The things I would bring are clothes, personal effects, laptop, etc. Those kinds of things, apart from the furniture, you might well be able to accommodate thru your airline's baggage allocation, plus perhaps a paid for extra/third suitcase.

As a Thai passport holder, you might be able to fare better with Thai customs on your incoming stuff than the non-Thais among us, if you do end up needing to ship stuff separately.

Just in terms of general moving advice:

--good thing to bring is any quality bedding you may have, as it's expensive here for any decent stuff.

--make sure you set up your preferred method for keeping phone contact with the U.S., including receiving U.S. banking SMSs.

--If you have income from the U.S. and U.S. bank/credit card accounts, make sure you identify no foreign currency fee options.

--if you have things you expect to be receiving via U.S. mail while in Thailand, make sure you make arrangements for those to be forwarded to you and/or identify and make arrangements with a commercial mail forwarding service.

--make sure you have health insurance coverage for your stay in Thailand, if you need more or better than your Thai citizenship provides.

--assuming you have a U.S. driver's license, you can use it to obtain a Thai driver's license pretty easily at Thai DLT offices.

8 hours ago, Flustered said:

After a lifetime of being an ex pat, I can assure you that hauling furniture around with you is a total waste of time, effort and money. Unless you have some item of sentimental value, sell it all off or donate it to a hospice.

The cost of shipping will outweigh the cost of replacement. The stress that trying to find out where and when your goods are being delivered to will add years to you.

Forget it, buy new when you get to where you are going. It's a no brainer.

You are absolutely correct. After thinking about it and getting quotes, I'm just gonna sell whatever I can and purchase it in Thailand instead. Shipping was more than the items combined lol.

Thank  you very much for the response!

2 hours ago, 55Jay said:

No recommendation from the US as we relocated from the middle east, but dude, just crack the yellow pages/Google and make a few inquiries.  Journey of a 1,000 miles begins with the first step, jump in there and git 'er done. 

As far as the clothes go, you might want to consider paying the airline you eventually fly on, for an additional suitcase/weight.  That's what I learned during a long, shopping spree trip back to the US a couple years ago.  Post Office estimated about $250 to send it all.  Korean Air's extra bag fee chart indicated about $100 something, so I bought a large, second hand suitcase at a consignment/junk shop for like $25 and packed it tight.

After thinking about it, I'm gonna sell whatever I can, and have a close friend sell the rest of the stuff for me when I leave and just buy it in Thailand instead when I get there.

Thank you for the clothing tip and response. I'm gonna do that instead so I can pack all my clothes and shoes and just pay the extra baggage fee, since I'm might go thru Korean Air.

2 hours ago, yellowboat said:

Customs can and will also hit you with duty.  With shipping and duty on used items, think hard.

Good point. Gonna sell my stuff instead and buy over there!

Thank you for your response!

2 hours ago, kenk24 said:

I go along with the idea of unless it is irreplaceable to you, sell there and buy new here...

One friend had his old computer shipped here... between shipping costs and then customs duty, he ended up with an old computer for the cost of a new computer... actually, the new computer would have been cheaper... 

They have no shortage of furniture and mattresses here... 

Yeah, gonna sell my stuff here and buy it over there instead!

Good point on the computer stuff, gonna sell it also lol. Thank you for your response!

1 hour ago, 1130bobs said:

i relocated here several years ago & had about 23 boxes of stuff to move.  clothes, artwork, computer made sense.  In retrospect, all else was a waste & cheaper to replace here IF you really need it.

the kitchen, too much clothes (even after I donated 1/2), & decorative items should be tossed.  Best to get it to several boxes & pay airline for cargo shipment along with your ticket - it is cheaper than checked luggage, and the stuff gets here within days of your arrival.  I sold my ethan allen bed & crystal - & am glad I did.    Many rentals & some purchases of  housing ( especially condos)  are furnished or your stuff will not work as well as you think.  avoid hassles.  If you must ship a lot, start with a freight forwarder HERE in bangkok that you can work with, -get a quote & then get their contact partner in your country - big ones will have them, if not a branch office or agent of their own.  I brought my s - - t to their guy in Chicago, who had it all unloaded, plastic wrapped & ready on 2 pallets before the paperwork was done.  Next I saw the stuff was at the bangkok sea terminal  a month later, where I paid 1 time for the entire service - chicago warehouse to seaport, with customs & duty clearance, in 1 bill, in baht.  I found a local truck owner to drive the 2 pallets to northern area - with me in the cab to watch it all, for about 10,000 b.  I found out later that having the foreign owner with him guaranteed no hassles with checkpoints & he did not have to worry about what he was hauling.  

Whoa thats a lot of stuff! But I agree, thinking about it, I would be wasting more money vs buying it new/used in Thailand. So Im going to sell the stuff here and not worry about shipping the stuff over. Just gotta bring my clothes and shoes and whatever else that I need to keep.

59 minutes ago, ChrisKC said:

You also need to be aware of bogus Customs payment demands on shipping through Bangkok. When I brought my stuff that didn't involve furniture, only personal effects. I was made to pay B30,000 just to release it (no official paperwork and no receipt) and then I had to get it to Chiang Mai. And that was 14 years ago.

Wow that a hefty fee. I heard stories about those bogus custom fees. Decided to sell my stuff and just take my clothes and whatever else I need and not waste money on shipping it and fees.

Thank you for your response.

26 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

OP, what metro area are you living in now?  That might influence the best shipping options available for you.

As for moving, I'd agree with the comments above re furniture. Most housing here in Thailand comes furnished to some extent, usually including bed setup at least. And, the computer desk set is something easily obtained here, so no sense in shipping that.

The things I would bring are clothes, personal effects, laptop, etc. Those kinds of things, apart from the furniture, you might well be able to accommodate thru your airline's baggage allocation, plus perhaps a paid for extra/third suitcase.

As a Thai passport holder, you might be able to fare better with Thai customs on your incoming stuff than the non-Thais among us, if you do end up needing to ship stuff separately.

Just in terms of general moving advice:

--good thing to bring is any quality bedding you may have, as it's expensive here for any decent stuff.

--make sure you set up your preferred method for keeping phone contact with the U.S., including receiving U.S. banking SMSs.

--If you have income from the U.S. and U.S. bank/credit card accounts, make sure you identify no foreign currency fee options.

--if you have things you expect to be receiving via U.S. mail while in Thailand, make sure you make arrangements for those to be forwarded to you and/or identify and make arrangements with a commercial mail forwarding service.

--make sure you have health insurance coverage for your stay in Thailand, if you need more or better than your Thai citizenship provides.

--assuming you have a U.S. driver's license, you can use it to obtain a Thai driver's license pretty easily at Thai DLT offices.

Currently in Las Vegas, NV.

After taking all the info and adding up the pros and cons, I will sell whatever I can and buy it in Thailand instead. Less headache that way and less money wasted lol.

Awesome advice btw, few stuff I didn't think about. But I do have question on health insurance. I tried to google Thailand health insurance and came up with quite a bit of results and some seems fishy or doesn't provided enough info. Where do you recommend to look up a more official or current info on health insurance?

Also, I do have a current and valid driver license, do I need to take a driving test or anything when I go get the Thai DL? I know how to drive automatic and manual gear transmission, so its not an issue. Also remember the driving side and lanes lol is opposite of US roadways.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Gotta say everyone has been very helpful, much better info and response than on other platform.

Thank you for being helpful, polite and providing me with info to use to make sure everything goes smoothly. You all are seriously awesome!

4 minutes ago, xFury said:

Awesome advice btw, few stuff I didn't think about. But I do have question on health insurance. I tried to google Thailand health insurance and came up with quite a bit of results and some seems fishy or doesn't provided enough info. Where do you recommend to look up a more official or current info on health insurance?

Also, I do have a current and valid driver license, do I need to take a driving test or anything when I go get the Thai DL? I know how to drive automatic and manual gear transmission, so its not an issue. Also remember the driving side and lanes lol is opposite of US roadways.

Re above, it sounds like you've decided to not pursue the issue of a shipping service. But if you end up needing to ship more than you can handle via the airlines, there are Thai specific shipping companies in the L.A. area, and there might well be as well in the LV area, considering the number of Asian folks working in that area. I can offer an L.A. company if you end up needing that.

As for Driver's License, you can drive legally in Thailand with your U.S. license for the first 90 days assuming you also get an International Drivers Permit from someplace like the AAA before you leave. Beyond that, to drive legally in Thailand, you'll need a Thai DL.  As with many things here, the practices can vary from office to office. But in general, with a valid U.S. DL, you should be able to get a Thai DL by just passing a vision and reactions test at your local Thai DLT office. They may also require you to get a residency certificate from Thai Immigration in order to apply for the DL. There are lots of threads here on getting Thai drivers licenses.

As for health insurance, assuming you're a Thai citizen with Thai ID card, I believe you'd be covered by the basic Thai national health insurance for government hospitals. But if that's not correct or you want/need better coverage than that, there are various options, falling into the basic categories of international insurers that provide coverage in Thailand and then Thai-based companies that do the same. The international ones are generally going to be more expensive than the Thai local insurers.

If you're going to be attending a university in Thailand, you might check as to whether your university provides or offers health insurance to its students. The university where my wife works does provide a basic health insurance coverage to its students.  But if yours doesn't or won't, check the subforum here on health insurance in Thailand, and you'll find lots of info there, and that's also the best place to post questions about and receive advice on HI issues.

17 minutes ago, xFury said:

You are absolutely correct. After thinking about it and getting quotes, I'm just gonna sell whatever I can and purchase it in Thailand instead. Shipping was more than the items combined lol.

After thinking about it, I'm gonna sell whatever I can, and have a close friend sell the rest of the stuff for me when I leave and just buy it in Thailand instead when I get there.

Thank you for the clothing tip and response. I'm gonna do that instead so I can pack all my clothes and shoes and just pay the extra baggage fee, since I'm might go thru Korean Air.

Good point on the computer stuff, gonna sell it also lol. Thank you for your response!

Whoa thats a lot of stuff! But I agree, thinking about it, I would be wasting more money vs buying it new/used in Thailand. So Im going to sell the stuff here and not worry about shipping the stuff over. Just gotta bring my clothes and shoes and whatever else that I need to keep.

Wow that a hefty fee. I heard stories about those bogus custom fees. Decided to sell my stuff and just take my clothes and whatever else I need and not waste money on shipping it and fees.

After taking all the info and adding up the pros and cons, I will sell whatever I can and buy it in Thailand instead. Less headache that way and less money wasted lol.

Gotta say everyone has been very helpful, much better info and response than on other platform.

Thank you for being helpful, polite and providing me with info to use to make sure everything goes smoothly. You all are seriously awesome!

I can recommend BUPA Thailand. Go to\ website or their Offices. Excellent English, good cover and not too expensive

13 minutes ago, xFury said:

<SNIP>

<SNIP>

Also remember the driving side and lanes lol is opposite of US roadways.

If your laptop is good, keep it and bring it with you on the plane. 

Yeah, driving takes a bit of adjustment here but you'll get it.

18 minutes ago, 55Jay said:

If your laptop is good, keep it and bring it with you on the plane. 

Yes, computer furniture is a definite thing to leave behind.

But laptops and actual portable computer equipment are good things to bring along, because laptops typically have AC adapters than can handle Thai 220v electricity and U.S. 110V power. And generally, you can buy and get comparable laptops in the U.S. for much better prices than buying in Thailand.  Same holds true for most portable electronics.

Just be aware that apart from dual voltage laptops, other U.S. 110V electronics are likely to need a step down transformer to handle Thai 220V electricity. I brought a couple with me when I moved. But they also can be purchased in Thailand at the Amorn electronics shops and elsewhere, if needed.

So take that in consideration when deciding what electronics you want to bring, and what ones you want to leave behind.

46 minutes ago, xFury said:

Here are some links that will help you plan before you get here.

IKEA is available here now, they are in Bangna which is on the outskirts of Bangkok.    

http://www.ikea.co.th   

Computer stuff I use this site to check prices. http://www.invadeit.co.th    But buy in one of the computer malls in Bangkok.

I've been working in the relocation industry for many years and I can only add to above. 

Your size of shipment will cost you far more than the value of your belongings, so unless they have irreplaceable value it's a 'lose-lose' scenario for you, in terms of the stress related to this, actual costs involved including tedious and tiresome customs clearance processes. 

Thailand has duty/taxes on most House Hold Goods (HHG) items regardless of age to add to the pain of getting it through customs. 

If you do decide to ship your belongings, make sure the company you choose understands the entire process of a relocation. A normal freight forwarding company usually don't, if they say they can do, they'll likely outsource the actual moving and delivery part of the process and deny any liability if something breaks. 

Statistics in the moving industry is that 25% of all relocation's include damages to things (some minor, some big).

A simple Google search 'relocating to Thailand' would give you some options for your further consideration.

All the best.

There is an Insurance forum and Health forum to post questions or concerns.

The Motor forum will cover any driving issues/concerns

HEALTH: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/forum/23-health-body-and-medicine/

INSURANCE: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/forum/121-insurance-in-thailand/

MOTOR: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/forum/78-thailand-motor-forum/

In reply to opening post...
My first impression looking at your list is that should shall bring your laptop and computer as luggage, as forget the rest; as in my opinion it would cost you more to ship it, pay agent and clearance fee, some little minor duty and VAT, and domestic transport from entry shipping port to destination. A 20' container can cost you up to $10,000 (excluding eventually customs duty and VAT); for that money or less, you can buy a fine brand new bed, drawer, console, desk and chair, all delivered to your place.

I had my stuff moved in a container from Europe, it costed me 10-years ago 50,000 Danish kroner, at that time close to $10,000 cif Bangkok (to container harbor, but not custom cleared), and another fee in baht to custom clearance agent and domestic transport, which was relative cheap (10,000 baht); furthermore a small fee to the customs, plus a minor and very affordable overtime fee for quick and easy clearance (tea-money), and little duty and VAT (probably to justify the customs had done their job). It brought a computer with me in a box as checked luggage (excluding screen, where I bought a new big LED-screen here for 3,000 baht), and a laptop as hand baggage.

:smile:

38 minutes ago, peterpan123 said:

I've been working in the relocation industry for many years and I can only add to above. 

Your size of shipment will cost you far more than the value of your belongings, so unless they have irreplaceable value it's a 'lose-lose' scenario for you, in terms of the stress related to this, actual costs involved including tedious and tiresome customs clearance processes. 

Thailand has duty/taxes on most House Hold Goods (HHG) items regardless of age to add to the pain of getting it through customs. 

If you do decide to ship your belongings, make sure the company you choose understands the entire process of a relocation. A normal freight forwarding company usually don't, if they say they can do, they'll likely outsource the actual moving and delivery part of the process and deny any liability if something breaks. 

Statistics in the moving industry is that 25% of all relocation's include damages to things (some minor, some big).

As with most things, the devil is in the details and everyone's individual situation.

When I relocated to Thailand, I used a L.A.-based, Thai-owned shipping company that specializes in moving contents back and forth between the two countries. They handled everything for two separate ocean shipments a year apart, including Thai customs, and delivery to my home in BKK. Everything went smoothly, I never had to make a phone call or deal with Thai Customs at all, and every piece of my belongs arrived in tact and with no damage. In each case, the price was reasonable and worth it for the assortment of items being shipped.

I also think you'd find the shipping costs from a major west coast city to Thailand are going to be considerably less than those quoted above from Europe. In my case, I paid about $1000 for one shipment and about $700 for the other, both just short of 100 cubic feet of goods, as I said above, including all shipping, delivery and customs charges. But that was some years ago, so presumably today would be somewhat higher.

Sometimes it's also not a question of dollar value, but need and/or non-economic value. When I moved, I had cabinets full of paper/financial/work-related documents that I wanted and needed to bring along. I also had kitchen/cooking goods that would be hard to find and/or expensive to purchase in Thailand. Clothing, shoes and bedding that's particular to my (tall) size and not easily obtainable in Thailand. Most everything I moved, I'm still using and have here many years later. So for my situation, the moving expense made sense and I don't regret it.

But, reinforcing the notion others have repeated above, the one group of things I did NOT move was furniture. Pretty much all of my furniture in the U.S. I disposed of before I left, and/or put in storage for a while until I was sure I wasn't going to be coming back to the U.S. anytime soon. In most cases, no sense to move furniture to Thailand.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

About mains in Thailand, 220 volt. 

Your laptop charger probably work from 110V to 240V, whilst your power supply in the computer may be switchable between 110V and 220V; if not, you can buy a new 220V power supply cheap and either switch it yourself, or have the shop to switch it for a small fee. That is more handy, and may even be cheaper, than buying a step down transformer. Depending on where you settle in Thailand mains supply can be quite unstable, so for the computer I'll advise you to buy an UPS (Undisturbed Power Supply) for around 2,000 baht (typically around 1,800 baht), which both provide stable voltage and continued power supply during short power-cuts, and time enough for a proper "close down" in case of black-out.

:smile:

1 hour ago, xFury said:

I agree, you don't to want pay to ship furniture. I moved here two years ago form the U.S. The only moving company I could find that would do it was Allied. I didn't ship furniture; just stuff with sentimental value and it cost a fortune!

As to a Thai drivers license. I had a current U.S. license and did not have to take the driving tests. Of course, this may have since changed. You'll need a separate license to drive a motorcycle.

3 hours ago, xFury said:

Good luck with the move.

As I see your a newbie, may I suggest if your going to use the forum often, hitting the like button to most posters will be less time consuming for you, as opposed to hitting the quote button and replying to everyone's reply, this will only lead to you burning out and will save you heaps of time, hit the like button, the guys will understand your appreciation of their replies, and the like and quote button to the ones you wish to reply to.

As they say in Thailand, "up to you"

3 hours ago, xFury said:

Still early days, they are lurking in the background, be wary 555

2 hours ago, ChrisKC said:

As others have stated, including a separate license for a motorbike, NOW the bigger picture, with regards to health insurance, I would suggest you get some kind of travel insurance in the interim till you get here and take out some cover under a health insurer, although it might be better to do it from the US ?

If you do get travel insurance read the fine print, i.e. drivers licence, and motorbike license for driving and riding in Thailand with an international drivers license or your "toast", if you don't have riders license in the US, you might find it a little difficult getting one here, unless you do the complete test, otherwise, DO NOT ride or you won't be covered. 

You understand that shipping everything is a waste of money furniture wise.

I brought my big computer screen in a large suitcase with layers of cardboard front and back, and then wrapped clothes around everything. Good protection. Most airlines will charge you a 100 dollars for excess luggage up to 70 lbs weight. But check your airline as they can vary. If you fly business 70lbs each and three suitcases for free....check airline again. Check all electronics are dual voltage. Frustrating to get here and find you will fry it if you plug it in. Good luck.

3 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

As others have stated, including a separate license for a motorbike, NOW the bigger picture, with regards to health insurance, I would suggest you get some kind of travel insurance in the interim till you get here and take out some cover under a health insurer, although it might be better to do it from the US ?

If you do get travel insurance read the fine print, i.e. drivers licence, and motorbike license for driving and riding in Thailand with an international drivers license or your "toast", if you don't have riders license in the US, you might find it a little difficult getting one here, unless you do the complete test, otherwise, DO NOT ride or you won't be covered. 

I did not make the comment above. It didn't come from me. There is a glitch in the system

Mixed bag of responses and I did not read them all.  

Honestly this boils down to you and your wants and needs. I loaded a full 40ft container with everything I could think of that I couldn't get in Thailand. It was money well spent.  Being you have Thai passport you are in good shape. 

There are too many variables without knowing your near and long-term plans. 

Let me say this.  You are going to spend top dollar to buy things you have grown accustomed to in Thailand.