Tourism Ministry pitches durian Kit Kat to Nestlé

webfact

Tourism Ministry pitches durian Kit Kat to Nestlé

shi.png

Mock-up of Durian Kit Kat by Coconuts.

BANGKOK: -- The Ministry of Tourism has come up with the most Instagram-worthy idea to promote Thai fruit — it’s in talks with Nestlé to produce a durian-flavored Kit Kat.

Tourism Minister Kobkarn Wattanavrangkul said that the ministry is pitching durian, mangoesteen, and tamarind Kit Kat flavors since they are all fruits that Thailand is famous for. Just like the Japanese green tea Kit Kat, our durian ones are expected to increase spending among tourists by 10 percent per person.

Because who doesn’t want to bring home some durian Kit Kats?

“Nestle’s marketing team will discuss with the company whether it’s possible to produce these Kit Kats because there are other factors to be considered as well,” Kobkarn told Daily News.

Full story: https://coconuts.co/bangkok/food-drink/durian-kitkat/

coconts_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Coconuts Bangkok 2017-02-16

our durian ones are expected to increase spending among tourists by 10 percent per person

How much is a Kit-Kat in Thailand?

30 baht?

So a quick bit of maths suggests that each tourist will increase their spend from 300 baht to 330 baht :shock1:

Won't be able to eat these on public transpo. :sad:

Amazed there isn't a durian one yet?

Votes for mangosteen, rambutan, cha yen, ripe mango.

There are some great videos of people trying Japanese Kit-Kat ( a few hundred I think?) flavors...wasabi!!!

57 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

Won't be able to eat these on public transpo. :sad:

Amazed there isn't a durian one yet?

Votes for mangosteen, rambutan, cha yen, ripe mango.

There are some great videos of people trying Japanese Kit-Kat ( a few hundred I think?) flavors...wasabi!!!

The KitKat originators Rowntrees of York must be spinning in their graves, by some of this disgusting sounding stuff, hate to think what it tastes like, But to each his own i suppose!

19 hours ago, thai3 said:

They do green ones in Japan, disgusting muck

They also do cheesecake flavour ones in japan, my wife bought loads of them.

We had one box of them for ourselves, one day i was so hungry i opened the box and expected to see a cheesecake in the box...unfortunately i found some kitkats in the box...

The huge snackshops on tokyo sell them as well and there were long, very long, qeueu's of Thai waiting there to pay.  I don't understand why BKK doesn't have those huge snackshops. 

1 minute ago, jonclark said:

Come on Nestle show some real nuts and just go the whole 9 yards and give us Bla-ra  flavoured Kit-Kats.

Fermented fish and Chocolate a real tasteof Thailand

Yep that sounds like a winner, also should be able to get the insects they eat up in Isaan fitted in somewhere, well if the japs can do it why not Thai, could'nt be any worse i would think!

Durian chocolate is not a new concept, numerous brands available in Malaysia

Such as: Malaysia's largest chocolate retailer, Cocoa Boutique and Chocolate Gallery

Fruit Chocolate

Hand-made and filled with natural tropical fruits such as the papaya, mango, pineapple, coconut and more. Most popular flavour is the Malaysian King of Fruit, the Durian chocolate, a must buy for most tourists.

Edited by gomangosteen

13 minutes ago, maxcorrigan said:

Yep that sounds like a winner, also should be able to get the insects they eat up in Isaan fitted in somewhere, well if the japs can do it why not Thai, could'nt be any worse i would think!

They already have a herbpaste with some beetles in it, it tastes like apple. 

I bought that paste once to marinate beef in it untill i googled about recipes and learned there are grinded beetles in it from chiang mai.

22 hours ago, webfact said:

Just like the Japanese green tea Kit Kat, our durian ones are expected to increase spending among tourists by 10 percent per person.

Boy the bean counters must have worked overtime to come up with the 10% figure. I like chocolate but 10% of spending? Get real.