Duel Citizen moving to Thailand

Hello, I'm gonna move permanently to Thailand in about 2 months or so. But I have a few questions.

I'm currently residing in the USA. I have a valid USA and Thailand passport. I will be moving to Thailand permanently for University and to live till whenever. Also, I recently visited Thailand about 2 months ago, and I got my passport renewed while I was there. When I entered Thailand, they stamp an Arrival card but didn't write anything on the Thailand passport. But when I left, I showed them both the old and new Thailand passport but they didn't stamp it. Would it be an issue going in when I move?

Can I use my Thai passport to enter instead? Do I need to do anything special? Recently visited about 2 months ago, but they didn't stamp my Thai passport with the Depart stamp (Only have the arrive stamp), and renewed my Thai passport while I was visiting also. When I left I showed them both the Thai passport to leave, no issues leaving.

Thank you for your time kap.

Do not, under any circumstances, let Thai immigration see your US passport. Although it should not be an issue, occasionally immigration officials decide to enforce a non existent rule that dual nationality is banned. These days, departure/arrival cards are not necessary for those traveling on Thai passports. Arriving from the US, the official may look for US stamps though. Perhaps, on exit from the US, you could show both passports, explain the situation, and ask if they mind stamping your Thai passport to avoid complications.

If you are male, be aware that you could be called up for national service.

My sons are duel nationals and come and go to Thailand and USA frequently with no problem. No USA stamps or Thailand stamps in passports. They enter USA using the automated system and the USA does not stamp at departure. They enter Thailand through the automated system and get no stamps. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, asiaexpat said:

My sons are duel nationals and come and go to Thailand and USA frequently with no problem. No USA stamps or Thailand stamps in passports. They enter USA using the automated system and the USA does not stamp at departure. They enter Thailand through the automated system and get no stamps. 

At least they have a fighting chance

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TerryLH said:

I think duels are illegal here.  

You shouldn't have a problem entering on your Thai passport.  

Since you are a citizen, hey should also let you in even if your passport was expired.

Enter and depart Thailand on your Thai passport.

Enter and depart the USA on your US passport.

Hahaha sorry for the typo, I caught the mistake after submitting the post and wasn't able to edit.

This is what I was also thinking. Thank you for your response!

7 hours ago, BritTim said:

Do not, under any circumstances, let Thai immigration see your US passport. Although it should not be an issue, occasionally immigration officials decide to enforce a non existent rule that dual nationality is banned. These days, departure/arrival cards are not necessary for those traveling on Thai passports. Arriving from the US, the official may look for US stamps though. Perhaps, on exit from the US, you could show both passports, explain the situation, and ask if they mind stamping your Thai passport to avoid complications.

If you are male, be aware that you could be called up for national service.

Thank you for your reply!

Definitely something to keep in mind

4 hours ago, Maestro said:

I suggest that you do not ask US immigration to stamp your Thai passport.

Ooh new info, wil ltake this into consideration. May I ask why? Sorry if its a dumb question.

2 hours ago, asiaexpat said:

Oh this is interesting. I didn't know Thailand had a automated system.  Where can I get more info? I tried the Thai custom website, but certain page wasn't loading properly.

1 hour ago, Langsuan Man said:

The whenever may just be until you are called up for military service, or did you forget that little perk of being a Thai male living in Thailand 

I honestly don't mind. Wanted to join the Military in the USA, but I got automatic DQ due to a visible limp when walking. Not even a medical waiver will clear it.

50 minutes ago, bangkok101 said:

should be "duals"....not duels.

Sorry for the typo lol, caught it after submitting the post and wasn't able to edit the thread.

---------------------------------

Also, would it be an issue if I bring PC parts (CPU, Graphics card, PSU, etc) into the country, or do I have to claim it or something. I see that it cost more in the country vs buying it here. Want to build a computer to use when I get there (Gonna purchase the case there instead).

Edited by xFury

4 hours ago, Maestro said:

I suggest that you do not ask US immigration to stamp your Thai passport.

5 minutes ago, xFury said:

Ooh new info, wil ltake this into consideration. May I ask why? Sorry if its a dumb question.

More than likely because it would be of more than passing interest to the officer that your Thai passport didn't contain a valid USA visa!

13 minutes ago, OJAS said:

More than likely because it would be of more than passing interest to the officer that your Thai passport didn't contain a valid USA visa!

Very good point! Will not do that then!

Thank you for your response!

• Like 1

Just enter with your Thai passport using the automatic gates at Suvarnabhumi.  Your passport doesn't get stamped but they file the arrival and departure cards that you drop into the box at the gate for information on where you went and returned from along with the computerised data from your passport and the photo that is taken.  Your Thai passport will only be stamped at Suvarnabhumi now, if you opt to go through a channel with an live immigration officer, or if the automatic gates are not working or can't read your finger prints.

• Like 1