UK couple attacked by bargirl in Pattaya after Brit says he could get cheaper drinks in 7/11

webfact

36 minutes ago, Naam said:

the video shows nothing but a typical overreaction which seems to be quite normal in Thailand where people are shot or stabbed to death for ridiculous miniscule reasons. and i repeat my doubts that any barmaid would try to charge two customers who had one drink each with multiple drinks.

i visited Thailand multiple times (since 43 years) and i am resident in Thailand since 12 years. as i haven't visited a bar in in these 12 years i'm not sure whether it is still the custom that with every drink the relevant slip is put in your bin. if that is still the case why did the Hua Hin "tourists" neither check the prices nor the number of the drinks they had? 

Can u still remember back then if beeing send to the hospital was mentioned on the bar drinking list?

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, tropo said:

Are you suggesting that he should have paid his bill after he was whacked on the head?... because he didn't leave until after he had been hit 3 times, twice while he was still seated.

Perhaps you think she attacked him, just in case he decided to skip.

Anything he may have owed her was cancelled out immediately she attacked him. By the time he left, she owed him.

No, he should have paid his bill before she felt it necessary to whack him on the head.

In what parallel dimension do you reside where a bar tab is 'cancelled out' upon being attacked?

He provoked her reaction by refusing to pay a bar tab; evidently one which was for the number of drinks it took to get him into the state he was in as he stumbled from the premises.

1 hour ago, The Deerhunter said:

No excuse for the stupid girl's violence but what a tosser he was.  Back home in Blighty is his local Tesco or Selfridges booze dearer than in a highstreet bar?  I don't think so.   She shouldn't have done it but really he asked for it.

There's no evidence to call the victim a "tosser". You have no idea what was spoken other than what the bargirl account of what was said.

Let me give you an example of what may have been said. Bargirl hands the bill to the customer. The customer is surprised at how high it is. He jokingly states "yikes! (or some other expletive) I could have bought a case of beer at the 7Eleven for that". (There's no doubt the victim knows the price of beer at 7Eleven and that beer bars charge more).

The bargirl takes the comment the wrong way due to her limited English skills and whacks him on the head in a fit of yabba induced rage.

The newspapers report the bargirl's explanation.

11 minutes ago, tropo said:

There's no evidence to call the victim a "tosser". You have no idea what was spoken other than what the bargirl account of what was said.

Let me give you an example of what may have been said. Bargirl hands the bill to the customer. The customer is surprised at how high it is. He jokingly states "yikes! (or some other expletive) I could have bought a case of beer at the 7Eleven for that". (There's no doubt the victim knows the price of beer at 7Eleven and that beer bars charge more).

The bargirl takes the comment the wrong way due to her limited English skills and whacks him on the head in a fit of yabba induced rage.

And another element added to the mix.    The barmaid is now a yabba addict.       By post 517 she may be a serial killer.

1 hour ago, Naam said:

the video shows nothing but a typical overreaction which seems to be quite normal in Thailand where people are shot or stabbed to death for ridiculous miniscule reasons. and i repeat my doubts that any barmaid would try to charge two customers who had one drink each with multiple drinks.

i visited Thailand multiple times (since 43 years) and i am resident in Thailand since 12 years. as i haven't visited a bar in in these 12 years i'm not sure whether it is still the custom that with every drink the relevant slip is put in your bin. if that is still the case why did the Hua Hin "tourists" neither check the prices nor the number of the drinks they had? 

You should have told us at first you haven't visited a bar or pub for the last 12 years. Would be like a space trip. Of course you would have checked each slip, compared it with the card, discussed it with your friends.

Previous bar name "lady joes bar" soi 8 second rd end well known for padding and over charging esan family run bar for years renowned for fiery response  to bills sometimes the bills would just be torn up in the bar and customer told to get out.

just past the bar today now named patsys bar same mo used to go in with a mate he knew some of them i never stayed long there they where an ugly mob one of them was married to a few foreigners who disappeared suspiciously  sorry for that couple

2 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

Can u still remember back then if beeing send to the hospital was mentioned on the bar drinking list?

in olden times, in the 70s and early 80s Thailand was completely different. i'm not only referring to Thais but also to foreigners who visited the country. mutual respect prevailed no matter who or what the person was.

1 hour ago, bermannor said:

You should have told us at first you haven't visited a bar or pub for the last 12 years. Would be like a space trip. Of course you would have checked each slip, compared it with the card, discussed it with your friends.

i never felt like that when i was a tourist and i wouldn't check the prices of a couple drinks for me and perhaps or a lady who entertained me for an hour. but you wouldn't understand why even if i tried explaining it to you.

5 minutes ago, Naam said:

in olden times, in the 70s and early 80s Thailand was completely different. i'm not only referring to Thais but also to foreigners who visited the country. mutual respect prevailed no matter who or what the person was.

I like Thailand and the  Thai people but if the news item shows me something then i just comment on what i see and i not post idiotic statements to cover up the reality.It is like it is.Back then mostly were backpackers visiting Asia maybe Thailand needs more of them?

8 minutes ago, Naam said:

I have a friend who has lived here for 25 years. Not a bar goer, but had a steel construction company in Ban Chang with over 1000 Thai employees at the height of his business.

He sold the business 5 years ago, and will leave to the UK with his Thai wife this year.

He told me Thailand has changed to a point it isn't bearable any more. Take note, he speaks fluent Thai and doesn't sit in front of his tv all day.

3 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

I like Thailand and the  Thai people but if the news item shows me something then i just comment on what i see and i not post idiotic statements to cover up the reality.It is like it is.Back then mostly were backpackers visiting Asia maybe Thailand needs more of them?

back then there were hardly any backpackers but a lot of bachelors, pockets flush with cash which they earned at the shores of the Gulf or in the desert.

by the way, it depends on individual perspectives, not on your opinion, whether you make idiotic statements or present naïve assumptions  :whistling: 

25 minutes ago, Naam said:

I don't doubt that for a minute; even fifteen years ago, the worst you'd get for coming out with crap like that (not comparing like with like) was something akin to, "not talking like that, not thinking like that" which usually had the effect of killing the anger and making the foreigner laugh.

5 minutes ago, Naam said:

back then there were hardly any backpackers but a lot of bachelors, pockets flush with cash which they earned at the shores of the Gulf or in the desert.

by the way, it depends on individual perspectives, not on your opinion, whether you make idiotic statements or present naïve assumptions  :whistling: 

The video clip speaks for itself.anyway this stuff happens all over the world Pattaya is a very safe place to stay in comparison with other cities like Manchester,Marseille et etc.onlything annoying is if police is not take it serious.That will make it repeat more if people think they can get away with it for a 500 bht fine.

26 minutes ago, Allstars said:

I have a friend who has lived here for 25 years. Not a bar goer, but had a steel construction company in Ban Chang with over 1000 Thai employees at the height of his business.

He sold the business 5 years ago, and will leave to the UK with his Thai wife this year.

He told me Thailand has changed to a point it isn't bearable any more. Take note, he speaks fluent Thai and doesn't sit in front of his tv all day.

Most likely ur friend change more than Thailand did.Just because he is old suddenly Thailand is no good makes no sense.Does ur friend believe there is no crime existing in England?

4 hours ago, BKKBodhisattva said:

I have watched it.

It's not being disputed that she hit him when he was sitting down but what bearing does that have on whether or not the Englishman skipped out on paying his full bill?

What a question. She attacked him while he was still seated and still in the bar. After that it wasn't a matter of not paying, but fleeing from a crazy, dangerous person. She took the bill out on his head.

What would you have done after being whacked on the head several times? Are you suggesting he should have stayed, weathered the abuse and risked further injury to discuss the bill?

According to the "lady in white", they suggested they should call the tourist police to sort out the dispute over the bill. That's probably the real reason he was attacked, not the 7Eleven comment. She could see herself losing out on the "tip" if the tourist police had adjudicated, and saw red.

It's hard when customers have to cope with drug addicted staff. Normal, undrugged people don't behave like that.

3 hours ago, Naam said:

I'd hardly call this a "typical overreaction". Yes, such crazy shit does happen here, but it's not "quite normal", even here.

16 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

Most likely ur friend change more than Thailand did.Just because he is old suddenly Thailand is no good makes no sense.Does ur friend believe there is no crime existing in England?

Who mentioned crime? My friend is talking about attitude.

When did you arrive here, or actually have you actually arrived?

9 minutes ago, Allstars said:

Who mentioned crime? My friend is talking about attitude.

When did you arrive here, or actually have you actually arrived?

I do not see any Thai attitude got changed for the worse in lets say  the last ten years.again we talking a news item about a problem in a bar.We do not talk about all other bars where last night was no problem at all.

5 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

I do not see any Thai attitude got changed for the worse in lets say  the last ten years.again we talking a news item about a problem in a bar.We do not talk about all other bars where last night was no problem at all.

I'm not talking about bars at all. I'm talking about non tourist areas

1 hour ago, Naam said:

i never felt like that when i was a tourist and i wouldn't check the prices of a couple drinks for me and perhaps or a lady who entertained me for an hour. but you wouldn't understand why even if i tried explaining it to you.

So, why do you expect it from the Brit who obviously stays in Thailand for 11 years?

out of my wits ?

3 hours ago, tropo said:

Fair enough.  Anything is possible.  No point in saying we will wait for the truth to come out. TIT etc.!!!

2 hours ago, The Deerhunter said:

Fair enough.  Anything is possible.  No point in saying we will wait for the truth to come out. TIT etc.!!!

Of course, there are many variations of how the 7Eleven topic arose. The problem is that all the haters on this thread are assuming the worst possible variation... and assuming that variation, they're suggesting that the victim is an idiot who deserved what he got.

Did you notice how he took the bashing without any physical retaliation? His wife and friends too. That indicates to me he knows how to behave in Thailand and he's not the person so many on here are portraying.

I fail to see any reason why this thread should be closed. The moderator on here is a legend and he's doing a great job of keeping the thread mostly civil. If you don't like any posts, why not report them.

Well, he probably did say he could get the drinks cheaper, but the article title is misleading.  They were attacked because they left without paying.  Of course the bargirl should not have attacked them, but the guy was a nit.  I wonder how big the bill was and did he really never look at the bin each time a round of drinks came by and take a quick glance at the prices? 

Archived