Now that's what you call an overstay - Chinese man in Thailand made 100s of millions in illegal logging over 20 years.

rooster59

Now that's what you call an overstay - Chinese man in Thailand made 100s of millions in illegal logging over 20 years.

Chinese.PNG

Image: Daily News

BANGKOK:-- A rich Chinese man has been arrested after living in the kingdom for 20 years on a fake Thai ID.

He said he had bought the ID after paying an official 300,000 baht for it.

The ID enabled 55 year old Lin Changquan to operate businesses and own houses and land with an appearance of legality

The Bangkok resident was arrested following a raid on a timber works in Bang Bua Thong, Nonthaburi in January.

Police discovered that he was the owner of the business and got a warrant for his arrest. He was apprehended yesterday in the Wang Thong Luang district of Bangkok.

He was found in possession of fake ID in the name of Amnat Limcharoenkun. He said he had travelled to Sa Kaew province to make the fake ID that he had then used in his business ventures.

He admitted he was the owner of the timber business in Bang Bua Thong where 500 tree trunks of valuable wood had been uncovered in the raid on January 2nd.

Police said that Lin was involved in illegal logging in the north east of Thailand and was worth "many hundreds of millions of baht".

He is thought to have had many influential contacts in authority and had paid 300,000 baht for his fake identity.

Source: Daily News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-02-18

6 minutes ago, PatOngo said:

So who is the biggest crook here, the illegal ID holder or the grub that issued it for 300.000 baht?

Non of the above, but the people in high offices who helped, facilitate and allowed

this man, for a pay of course, to rape and pillaged Thailand's forests....

Just now, ezzra said:

Non of the above, but the people in high offices who helped, facilitate and allowed

this man, for a pay of course, to rape and pillaged Thailand's forests....

Regardless, they are all grubs!

5 minutes ago, colinneil said:

How about naming/shaming the crook who issued/ arranged for the false i.d.

Oops stupid me, that will never happen, crooked officials here are immune to prosecution.

If it was issued 20 years ago that person may well be dead. 

That is not only an overstay it is an economic crime

Unfortunately too common in Thailand

In my opinion, just one of the bad things he disease of Capitalism the west has brought to South East Asia;

Probably not a popular opinion on this forum, but I do believe it anyhow.

Others are to have their own opinions, I don't mind.

1 minute ago, IMA_FARANG said:

In my opinion, just one of the bad things he disease of Capitalism the west has brought to South East Asia;

The "khun yai" thing has always existed here having lots of cash putting you above everybody else. Capitalism has given the masses hope of achieving this.

I  thinking China is not the "" west "' but maybe the " far east or also south east Asia ", -- he started 20 years ago when private ownership of business was not very common in China, could it be he escaped from China?

The questions I  have, NOT that I agree with what he did for 20 years, I don't, is how many Thai people we're employed by the man and made a living, how many other Thai AND foreign companies benefited from doing business with him? Oh, one other question, did he pay taxes or just keep ALL the money?

I promise you many Thai people got rich in his business dealings and many knew he was not Thai... 

As long as money can be made, ethics go out the windows....

it's the lack of checks and balances within their framework is the really culprit...

insert a little intelligence into the equation, overstay is their least of concerns....

The average poster gets about 20,000 baht a month, while this guy made hundreds of MILLIONS....

i can see the jealousy!!!!    55555555

Now this guy will go to your city and buy everything while you worry about your next 10 baht meal!!!

fun reading all the hate and miserable ex-pat ramblings that do nothing.......

2 hours ago, jonclark said:

If it was issued 20 years ago that person may well be dead. 

Yeah, but the question is how an ID-card can last for 20 years? I thought it was between 9-10 years on the Thai ones.

2 minutes ago, Srikcir said:

Because you're a white-looking farang, you'll be charged 3,000,000 baht.

Yes, that´s true! On the other hand you get an ID with 20 years validity. That just must count for something, or what?

He will walk without doubt or he will die without doubt as he knows how many people in high places have been reaping the benefits of his 'business' for 20 years.   Too much at risk by too many to let the bird sing, so most likely he will be allowed to leave the country and take a large chunk of his fortune with him......or, he will die in an 'accident'  !

4 hours ago, jaltsc said:

“He was found in possession of fake ID…”

All will be forgiven, just as long as he doesn't use fake money to buy his way out his predicament. 

Doesn't seem to matter.... fake money works.

a couple of months ago there was an article about counterfeit 100 baht notes.... I had versions of both kinds that were shown.

i have given and received both kinds without issue, from banks, bars and shops... hell, I have even offered people a choice, but no one cared about it

8 hours ago, rooster59 said:

He said he had bought the ID after paying an official 300,000 baht for it.

300,000 bahts 20 years well if you want quality you have to pay for it. Please no more negative Chinese stories. 

5 hours ago, IMA_FARANG said:

I like your opinion jives with my own. Yes it is an economic crime but the overstay part gets more press. 

8 hours ago, PatOngo said:

So who is the biggest crook here, the illegal ID holder or the grub that issued it for 300.000 baht?

5 hours ago, IMA_FARANG said:

I like your opinion and yes it is an economic crime first and foremost but the overstay part plays out better in the press. I think the BIB stumbled across this one but they can take an arrest any way they can get it in my opinion. Please no more dumb Chinese jokes this guy was a master criminal clever smart. Again would be interested in following this case but methinks it will peter out due to maybe this guy parting with some of his profits. I am sure he had a financial exit plan as he was definitely not stupid. 

17 minutes ago, whatawonderfulday said:

Possibly employed more Thais in his business then most over 20 years.   Maybe illegal but so are Juntas who have seized power over the last 20 years by armed force  to ensure they get their own snouts in the trough.  This Chinese guy has done it without guns possibly.  Make him PM and let's look forward.

you might want to check his family connections first