Firebrand Milo Yiannopoulos quits Breitbart News after child sex remarks

webfact

Firebrand Milo quits Breitbart News after child sex remarks

By Laila Kearney

r7.jpg

Milo Yiannopoulos addresses the media during a news conference in New York, U.S., February 21, 2017. REUTERS/Lucas Jackson

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Provocative far-right commentator Milo Yiannopoulos resigned on Tuesday as a senior editor of the Breitbart News website after he was vilified and lost a book deal over comments that condoned certain intimate relations between men and young teenage boys.

Yiannopoulos thanked Breitbart for letting him transmit conservative and libertarian ideas to an audience that otherwise would never have heard them, but said he did not want his "poor choice of words" to detract from his colleagues' important work.

"This is my decision alone," he told a news conference in New York city. "When your friends have done right by you, you do right by them. For me, now, that means stepping aside."

Yiannopoulos was banned from Twitter last year after making remarks on race, religion and sex that incited racial attacks on an African-American actress. On Feb. 1, violent protesters forced the cancellation of a speech he was due to give at the University of California at Berkeley.

The latest controversy stemmed from a video more than a year old in whichYiannopoulos said he thought that when it came to relations between men and boys, "there are certainly people who are capable of giving consent at a younger age" than the law allows.

On Monday, after the video resurfaced, organizers of the Conservative Political Action Conference, or CPAC, rescinded an invite for him to speak at the annual event.

The same day, publisher Simon & Schuster said it cancelled the publication of Yiannopoulos' book "Dangerous," which was due out on June 13.

At Tuesday's press conference, Yiannopoulos apologised for the remarks and called the firestorm over them a "horrible, degrading, humiliating experience."

The 33-year-old Briton told reporters he was sexually abused between the ages of 13 and 16 by two men, but did not realise at the time it was abuse.

"I can look back now and see that it was," Yiannopoulos said. "My experience as a victim led me to believe that I could say anything on the subject. ... I don't believe that sex with 13 year olds is OK. ...I am horrified by pedophelia."

Yiannopoulos said some of the remarks were taken out of context and that he was at times speaking about his specific experience of being abused.

Despite the most recent backlash, which he described as the worst of his career, Yiannopoulos said he planned to continue to try to grow an audience.

In the months ahead, Yiannopoulos said he would launch a new media website. He said he would focus more on entertainment and campus tours in his professional future instead of Breitbart journalism.

(Reporting by Laila Kearney; Editing by Daniel Wallis and David Gregorio)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-02-22

This series of tweets by Danielle Muscato summarizes what I feel about the GOP and their supporters:

"The real story isn't Milo's downfall.

It's that we have discovered where the "moral" right wing draws the line. Not pussy grabbing. Not saying you'd like to date your daughter. Not overt racism. Not threatening to jail your political opponents. Not maligning war heroes. Not..
Not lying about donations to charity. Not even saying you'd refuse to concede a[n election] loss. No, the @GOP draws the line at defending pedophilia.
I think it's important to note it's gay pedophilia—I'm confident right wingers would come up w/an excuse if Milo defended man/teen girl sex.
I say this bc this happened PS His lawyers legit argued he shouldn't have to appear in court bc he's President-elect
https://t.co/UNnlvM8zBC "

Also, Trump supporters seemed ok with their presidential candidate having bragged about walking into Miss Teen USA dressing room to perv at naked teens.

T

6 hours ago, Andaman Al said:

Surely Bannon will have him in the White House in no time at all.

I watched this goofball on the Bill Maher show he would be ideally suited. He has similar traits as Kelly Ann Conway who was on Bill Maher as well  and its the new Republican trademark. Get a big smile on your face and talk over top of the other party in a machine gun like manner. Its called the verbal blitz. 

45 minutes ago, Thakkar said:

This series of tweets by Danielle Muscato summarizes what I feel about the GOP and their supporters:

"The real story isn't Milo's downfall.

It's that we have discovered where the "moral" right wing draws the line. Not pussy grabbing. Not saying you'd like to date your daughter. Not overt racism. Not threatening to jail your political opponents. Not maligning war heroes. Not..
Not lying about donations to charity. Not even saying you'd refuse to concede a[n election] loss. No, the @GOP draws the line at defending pedophilia.
I think it's important to note it's gay pedophilia—I'm confident right wingers would come up w/an excuse if Milo defended man/teen girl sex.
I say this bc this happened PS His lawyers legit argued he shouldn't have to appear in court bc he's President-elect
https://t.co/UNnlvM8zBC "

Also, Trump supporters seemed ok with their presidential candidate having bragged about walking into Miss Teen USA dressing room to perv at naked teens.

T

The Trumpeteers are OK with a Jekyll and Hyde personality in the White House. 

Right winger trumpists got PUNKED by super troll Milo.:post-4641-1156694572:

Time for hypocritical immigration fanatics to insist that he be DEPORTED.

Oh, never mind, he's not Latino or Muslim.

If college liberals are so naive, why did the campus right fall for Yiannopoulos?

So the next time conservatives feel tempted to decry the callowness of campus liberals, they might take a pause to consider why so many college conservatives allowed themselves to be taken in by a dubious huckster with little to offer the long-term development of right-leaning ideas and institutions on college campuses. It’s a statement of conservative pride in the movement’s supposed clear thinking to paraphrase Irving Kristol and suggest that liberals, once “mugged by reality,” will come to their senses. Anyone who went into business, however temporarily, with Milo Yiannopoulos should come to terms with the fact that they’ve just been swindled, period.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/act-four/wp/2017/02/21/if-college-liberals-are-so-naive-why-did-the-campus-right-fall-for-yiannopoulos/

Edited by Jingthing

5 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Right winger trumpists got PUNKED by super troll Milo.:post-4641-1156694572:

Time for hypocritical immigration fanatics to insist that he be DEPORTED.

Oh, never mind, he's not Latino or Muslim.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/act-four/wp/2017/02/21/if-college-liberals-are-so-naive-why-did-the-campus-right-fall-for-yiannopoulos/

It's not just Milo. Sarah Palin, Dinesh D'Souza, Herman Cain and more than a few GOP congress people and others including radio and TV hosts have been dipping into this same pool of GOP stupid to enrich themselves for years. The latest and most successful dipper has been Trump.

T

9 hours ago, craigt3365 said:

He's a sick man.  Sad that people actually listen to him.

Though he's a Brit I had never heard of him till 2 weeks ago. The UK does not have a forum for his views which would probably be laughed out of court anyway. So he went to America...

Though he's a Brit I had never heard of him till 2 weeks ago. The UK does not have a forum for his views which would probably be laughed out of court anyway. So he went to America...
I recently read he has done talks at UK campuses. In any case hope they deport him back there.

9 minutes ago, chilli42 said:

When you live by the sword you die by the sword.  My hope is that he never resurfaces but I think that is all it is, a hope.

It's hard to imagine what his base audience is now. No, not even Nambla would like him. 

Discarded Troll Milo Yiannopoulos Is Now Useless to Conservatives

Now he apparently wants to rebrand himself as an entertainer rather than a polemicist. “I’m going to focus now on entertainment, on education, and less perhaps on journalism,” he said. It will be surprising if that works. Yiannopoulos’ act was all about baiting liberals over free speech; he’d say something repulsive, the left would react, and conservatives could play the defenders of edgy self-expression. In the end, however, the right shut him down the second he made conservatives uncomfortable. Going forward, even if any right-wingers are willing to be associated with him, it will be hard for him to continue the fiction that conservatives are uniquely open-minded. ...

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2017/02/21/at_a_press_conference_discarded_troll_milo_yiannopoulos_faced_a_world_where.html

Edited by Jingthing

• 3 months later...

Breitbart sees huge advertising drop in May: report

Breitbart News has experienced almost a 90 percent drop in advertisers in May when compared to March, according to a Tuesday report. 

Per Digiday’s MediaRadar, which tracks ads on websites, Breitbart had 242 brands appearing on its website in March, but had just 26 in May. 

http://thehill.com/homenews/media/336607-breitbart-sees-huge-advertising-drop-in-may-report