Document required by banks for foregn currency bank account opening that is issued by applicants Embassy

This should have been simple

I inquired about opening a foreign currency bank account without a Work permit with Bangkok Bank and was told I would need a document issued by my country (British) embassy. However the staff member could not actually tell me what this document was - I asked was it Proof of address ? Confirmation of passport issuance? - she did not know, just saying that the Embassy would know as they had been required to issue many of such documents in the past year. Unfortunately it seems the British Embassy now requires an appointment for many document types so I need to know what it is in advance.

SO: If anyone has recently (within last year when new BoT stipulation came in) obtained the necessary document from their embassy to open a foreign currency bank account can they please tell me what document it is - if your experience was with the British Embassy it would be helpful if you could tell me if an appointment was required for issuance of said document.

It's apparently called a Letter of Reference/Introduction.   Probably just classing under Notarial Services at the UK Embassy.  It's not a Bank of Thailand (BOT) policy; just a loose requirement some Thai bank branches use---sometimes.   Other documents can satisfy the requirement.  Tons of posts on ThaiVisa talking experiences of opening a Thai bank account....how one branch wants one thing....another branch within the same parent bank wants another....etc...etc.  Just no standardization.

Maybe the post below will help you.    

And here's the Bangkok Bank webpage where you can see the bank's actual, current words....look under the Required Documents tab.

http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/SpecialServices/ForeignCustomers/Pages/Account.aspx

Many thanks for your helpful reply. I have a Bangkok Bank THB account which I previously opened without anything other than a passport (Suk 11 branch for those interested) BUT it was a couple of years ago and at main lower Sukhumvit Branch I was told that in the  last year things had got tougher due to crack down on money laundering and the BoT was demanding the letter as a requirement (remember foreign currency account) because it was "very easy for foreigner to launder money' - I had a printout of the other acceptable documents from BBL website but was told only letter of reference - unfortunately if I want to open at that branch I will be required to get the reference letter. I had a feeling it could be different with a different staff member.  The Foreign currency dept at Bangkok Bank head office told me there was a choice of 3 if no work permit - proof of condo ownership, letter of reference from home country bank sent by SWIFT, and the certification of passport by embassy, but again at branch level they said only letter from embassy no other acceptable.  I suppose an alternative is to open at BBL HQ if letter of reference by SWIFT is an option with them, but I selected that particular BBL branch as it was nearest foreign currency branch of a bank convenient for me - SCB nearest foreign currency branch is Wireless Rd - maybe try there as they are unofficious and I have long standing account. If certification of passport letter classed as 'notarising' then likely an appointment is required.

Just to further clarify: What is described as a 'Letter of Reference' from Embassy on BBL website is a "Letter to certify passport" according to Bangkok Bank HQ  Foreign Currency department  - at least for them - can't rule out other might require something else e.g certification of address.

Spoke with UK Embassy - unfamiliar with 'Letter to certify passport' assumed I must mean Certified photocopy of passport - I asked if they had a service where they checked that a passport was indeed issued by UKPA and furnisged a letter to that effect but it seems not to have rung any bells.