Undocumented Thais in US fear new crackdown

webfact

15 minutes ago, Penicillin said:

Brazen , is a bit of an understatement ! They carry Mexican flags at protests in the USA , demand free yservices and attempt to besmirch the reputation of any law enforcement or political entity that wants to enforce USA immigration law. 

If there are 100,000 Thais living illegally in the USA , I'm surprised . They must be doing a fair job of assimilating and stay out of trouble.  

Yes.  Similar tone in other areas taking on immigrants/refugees- legal or otherwise. 

I'm no fan of Trump and as long as he's inconsistent, it's reasonable to be vehemently critical of the stupid stuff he says and does.  I'm not fully against the idea of La Résistance , but fair to say they forfeit their perceived, sometimes ill-conceived moral high ground, with the methods they use.  Same as Trump.  They are the same animal at opposing ends of the political spectrum

But on this issue, Trump is right, but his bumbling marketing strategy leaves a lot to be desired.  His bold execution is shocking and offensive, because we've been conditioned to passive appeasement for so long.  Doing a hard reset to re-establish the benchmark in a fluid, permissive environment that has been allowed to run amok for so long, ain't easy.   There will be collateral damage and unintended consequences, but you've got to be strong and resolute.  Once control is re-established and processes in place, it will be much better, and after a while, is the new normal (again). 

Edited by 55Jay

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

20 minutes ago, Penicillin said:

Brazen , is a bit of an understatement ! They carry Mexican flags at protests in the USA , demand free yservices and attempt to besmirch the reputation of any law enforcement or political entity that wants to enforce USA immigration law. 

If there are 100,000 Thais living illegally in the USA , I'm surprised . They must be doing a fair job of assimilating and stay out of trouble.  

The  few "Illegal" Thai's  that I know in the states live very modestly and are hard working people.

1 minute ago, riclag said:

The  few "Illegal" Thai's  that I know in the states live very modestly and are hard working people.

So is a bank robber that does not flaunt his ill gotten wealth. He may be hard working at his trade and be one of the nicest people in the neighborhood. But, in the end he is still a criminal and must face the penalties if caught. 

2 minutes ago, kowpot said:

So is a bank robber that does not flaunt his ill gotten wealth. He may be hard working at his trade and be one of the nicest people in the neighborhood. But, in the end he is still a criminal and must face the penalties if caught. 

Its illegal if their caught they should go.I was trying to point out that Thai illegals IMOP are a night and day difference assimilating then "some" of the illegal Mexican , Central and South Americans that live in America.

They should!

A simple solution is to go Canada as they don't seem to care now and return legally.  The government doesn't care, but the citizens do.

All one would have to go is walk into the woods or across a field close to a roadway near the border.

Don't even think about Mexico unless you like civil drug wars.

9 minutes ago, IMA_FARANG said:

I feel sorry for them, but that is the situation we Americans have brought on you.

I honestly feel ashamed to call myself an American these days with Not My Pres9dent  as the head of my country now.

Feel sorry for who?  How many Thais have been deported so far?

If you're so ashamed, move.  Oops...maybe you already did.

20 minutes ago, rijb said:

Feel sorry for who?  How many Thais have been deported so far?

If you're so ashamed, move.  Oops...maybe you already did.

Would there really be a lot of illegal Thai's in the US? Are they competing with Mexican gardeners and pool cleaners?

7 minutes ago, elgordo38 said:

Would there really be a lot of illegal Thai's in the US? Are they competing with Mexican gardeners and pool cleaners?

I think you would be surprised. Many come over on a tourist visa and then just never return. There is a pretty large Thai community in LA, so it is easy to hide. A good number of Thais have been overstaying and working on tourist visas here in Japan. 

It was (is?) a big problem with Korean nationals. I remember seeing the PSA's on AFN while at Camp Red Cloud about the hoops Koreans had to jump through just to visit the states because of all the illegal overstayers. Maybe that has changed since I was there.

So people living and working in a country illegally are scared? Good. Get legal or get out.

Yes they should get out! And also get off their high horses.

"Bloody lazy immigrants. Stealing all our jobs".

"Well what are they then? ... Lazy or stealing all our jobs!?"

- Cemetery Junction, 2011.

Sent from my LG-H990 using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

1 minute ago, reenatinnakor said:

Yes they should get out! And also get off their high horses.

"Bloody lazy immigrants. Stealing all our jobs".

"Well what are they then? ... Lazy or stealing all our jobs!?"

- Cemetery Junction, 2011.

Did I say anything about ILLEGALS being lazy? There are laws for foreigners if they want to live and work in the US. Just like there are laws for foreigners who want to live and work in Thailand. Why is it people who go to the US ILLEGALLY are exempt from the laws of the land? 

1 hour ago, IMA_FARANG said:

I feel sorry for them, but that is the situation we Americans have brought on you.

I honestly feel ashamed to call myself an American these days with Not My Pres9dent  as the head of my country now.

We're ashamed to have you. What if anything have you ever done for your country?

4 minutes ago, kowpot said:

We're ashamed to have you. What if anything have you ever done for your country?

I think most decent Americans are terribly embarrassed that we have elected a white supremacist demagogic authoritarian as our president. Even though most Americans didn't vote for him, it's still something to be ashamed about. 

As far as Thais, it's rather obvious the trumpist crackdown is mostly focused in a RACIST way on LATINOS not Asians, and certainly not WHITE undocumented persons. However, undocumented Thais like everyone are now subject to priority deportation if they break the law in any minor way, such a traffic violation, jaywalking, etc. So they should be afraid. It's hard to never get some kind of legal violation in the U.S. 

Many are surprised that it isn't very rare for actual U.S. citizens to be deported. Not intentionally, of course. Mistakes. So returning expats, better have your papers in order!

Edited by Jingthing

Present-day countries of origin[edit]

According to the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, the countries of origin for the largest numbers of illegal immigrants are as follows (latest of 2009):[7]

Country of origin Raw number Percent of total Percent change 2000 to 2009
Mexico 6,650,000 62% +42%
El Salvador 530,000 5% +25%
Guatemala 480,000 4% +65%
Honduras 320,000 3% +95%
Philippines 270,000 2% +33%
India 200,000 2% +64%
Korea 200,000 2% +14%
Ecuador 170,000 2% +55%
Brazil 150,000 1% +49%
China 120,000 1% −37%
Other 1,650,000 15% −17%

The Urban Institute also estimates "between 65,000 and 75,000 Canadians currently live illegally in the United States."[18]

Yeah, all those WHITE illegal immigrants from where exactly? Why is it regressives make everything about race? Bunch of racists.

3 hours ago, 55Jay said:

As they should.  Illegal Mexicans in the US have become far more brazen.  I've seen some interviewed on television/internet, no problem admitting they are in the country illegally, tugging at the liberal heart string because their kid, who they brought into the country illegally, might end up being separated from them.  As if they bear no responsibility for creating that situation.  One American woman broke down in tears on camera trying to talk about how terrible the US Government was for "ripping families apart".  Always use those terms, "ripping" "tearing". 

Just like they always use the term "immigration round up" instead of "arresting illegal aliens."

Did I say anything about ILLEGALS being lazy? There are laws for foreigners if they want to live and work in the US. Just like there are laws for foreigners who want to live and work in Thailand. Why is it people who go to the US ILLEGALLY are exempt from the laws of the land? 

And laws are there to be what? :-)

My mum was an illegal to uk 50 years ago. Not everyone has the money or resources to go legal. I'd say good luck to anyone who can beat the system and get legal later.

46 minutes ago, bkkgriz said:

I think you would be surprised. Many come over on a tourist visa and then just never return. There is a pretty large Thai community in LA, so it is easy to hide. A good number of Thais have been overstaying and working on tourist visas here in Japan. 

It was (is?) a big problem with Korean nationals. I remember seeing the PSA's on AFN while at Camp Red Cloud about the hoops Koreans had to jump through just to visit the states because of all the illegal overstayers. Maybe that has changed since I was there.

Thats what I like plausible make sense answers thank you. Life is an everyday learning process. 

2 minutes ago, reenatinnakor said:

And laws are there to be what? :-)

My mum was an illegal to uk 50 years ago. Not everyone has the money or resources to go legal. I'd say good luck to anyone who can beat the system and get legal later.

Yeah, you are right. We should only follow the laws we like. 

I don't think anyone is debating whether undocumented persons are breaking the law by staying in the U.S. illegally. Of course they are.

It's more about the hypocrisy. Huge industries greatly depend on the labor of these undocumented persons. They are an overall economic benefit. 

So cracking down on them is rather schizophrenic as long as there isn't a system (which there isn't) to legalize many more of the same people that are undocumented. 

The dark truth is they wouldn't be as much of an economic benefit if they were legalized. Higher wages, higher grocery costs, higher restaurant costs, the social security they pay would go into their accounts, etc. 

So my point is that any immigration policies are going to messy and far from perfect, but it's totally obvious that border security, "extreme vetting", and mass deportations don't really provide the ideal benefit to the USA. Some of that, yes, but COMBINED with rational immigration reform and paths to legalization even for undocumented persons. 

Edited by Jingthing