Video: Had stuff stolen from your airline bags? We may have the answer

webfact

Video: Had stuff stolen from your airline bags? We may have the answer

1pmm.jpg

Picture: Daily News

BANGKOK: -- Authorities at Suvarvabhumi airport have announced the arrest of a Korat man who has been stealing property from passengers' bags.

A passenger on TG 431 on Saturday reported to airport police that a necklace, gold ring and cash had been removed from a bag Daily News reported.

Police studied CCTV and came up with the culprit who was named as Subin Chingram, 28. He admitted the theft and a string of other offences.

A search of his house revealed a considerable amount of stolen property.

He was charged with theft or receiving stolen property at the airport.

The Daily News article did not report the suspect's job or why he had access to the conveyor belt of passenger luggage.

Source: Daily News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-02-24

Another kick in the balls for tourism, as if it hadn't had enough in recent days.

Clearly he had been doing it for some time.

What I find disturbing is that when CC TV was checked, he was found almost immediately.

He walks off with the bag somewhere quiet. Had no one in airport security noticed this unusual behavioue before?

Even more worrying, if he can walk off to take something out, he could just as easily put something in.

Drugs for an unsuspecting mule, or a bomb on an outward leg.

I believe security at Suvarnabhumi and across the country, needs to be seriously tightened, as this incident shows how poor it is currently.

It will be no good reviewing the cameras after a plane blew up and going, "Oh, yes! That is how the bomb got on board."

LAst while boarding i noticed a man putting a big suitcase in the compartment above my seat while he walked much further to the back to be seated.

During the flight another man was rummigating through our luggage compartment (he sat 5 rows infront of me) and he took my backpack out (right above me with me watching him closely) and wanted to open it. I told him to put it back cause it was mine, then another thai man infront of me also told him to sit down and leave our luggage alone....he even took his luggage out and kept it on his lap during the flight.

The stewards didn't do anything...it was a big muscled chinese looking man and he acted like it was normal to do.

Be aware folks, even for your handluggage.

17 minutes ago, fruitman said:

LAst while boarding i noticed a man putting a big suitcase in the compartment above my seat while he walked much further to the back to be seated.

During the flight another man was rummigating through our luggage compartment (he sat 5 rows infront of me) and he took my backpack out (right above me with me watching him closely) and wanted to open it. I told him to put it back cause it was mine, then another thai man infront of me also told him to sit down and leave our luggage alone....he even took his luggage out and kept it on his lap during the flight.

The stewards didn't do anything...it was a big muscled chinese looking man and he acted like it was normal to do.

Be aware folks, even for your handluggage.

There was an article in the South China Morning Post not long ago that told of a group of mainland Chinese carrying out such thefts regularly on the HK - BKK route. It was rather surprising to read your comments on how he had this case on his lap for the remaining duration of the journey, cabin crew are usually very negative towards this. Would you like to elaborate giving the route and the airline 

39 minutes ago, pbeieio said:

or another mangled metaphor!!!

1. That’s a kettle of fish of a different color.
  2. You’ve buttered your bread, now lie in it.
  3. Never lick a gift horse in the mouth.
  4. Remember, Rome wasn’t burned in a day.
  5. This is up my wheelhouse.
  6. I’ll push some strings for you.
  7. You continue to cloudy the water.
  8. We’re on the same page length.
  9. He’s a man without an island.
  10. Look what the cat dragged out of the bag.
  11. You’re cutting yourself off at the foot.
  12. It’s no shirt off my back.
  13. She dropped it like a lead potato.
  14. He will sleep like a light bulb tonight.
  15. You can take that to the cleaners.
  16. This isn’t my first day at the rodeo.
  17. I heard it on the gravy train.
  18. At least you’ve got a leg in the door.
  19. It hit me like a brick wall.
  20. I’ll dig my heels in the sand.
  21. You’re talking up the wrong tree.

1 minute ago, DipStick said:

There was an article in the South China Morning Post not long ago that told of a group of mainland Chinese carrying out such thefts regularly on the HK - BKK route. It was rather surprising to read your comments on how he had this case on his lap for the remaining duration of the journey, cabin crew are usually very negative towards this. Would you like to elaborate giving the route and the airline 

I also read about that chinese group so i was aware.

It was air asia flight BKK-Penang...

The Thai man infront of me looked also very muscular and i was amazed he spoke good english. Believe it or not but 4 days later while boarding the returnflight he happened to sit infront of me again..He jokingly said he would keep his luggage on his lap during the flight, which he did.

I saw that chinese guy while walking on penang-airport, he was there with 2 ladies and 2 children.

I still don't know why he took my backpack, nobody was asleep and he did it right above me with me watching him closely. He first took all other backpacks out but put them back, than he took mine...his luggage was some compartments infront of us where he sat.

I had a new Samsonite backpack, maybe i should change it for a cheap one without brandname.

But also i don't understand how people can board a plane, stuff a big suitcase somewhere and walk to the back to get seated. Maybe his suitcase was too heavy for him to carry to the back but i think it's rude to stuff it in other passengers' compartment, after seeing that i already was aware that something strange was going on in that plane.

24 minutes ago, pbeieio said:

From the Del Boy book of quotes :smile:

12 minutes ago, Mickmouse1 said:

Huh?

Does that mean he is the only one around? No one ever sees him opening or closing a bag??????

On Penang airport there were soldiers with huge machineguns on every corner in the departurehalls. Not picking their noses or playing candycrush but just observing the crowd like they should.

On Don Muang i searched for them as well but didn't see any security, After 5 minutes i spotted a  securityguard with a torch, no gun at all....that's how Thailand thinks about security...

32 minutes ago, fruitman said:

On Penang airport there were soldiers with huge machineguns on every corner in the departurehalls. Not picking their noses or playing candycrush but just observing the crowd like they should.

On Don Muang i searched for them as well but didn't see any security, After 5 minutes i spotted a  securityguard with a torch, no gun at all....that's how Thailand thinks about security...

What have machine guns in an airport got to do with baggage theft? 

Just now, The manic said:

What have machine guns in an airport got to do with baggage theft? 

I believe the point was that if good security existed, the theft could not be possible.

Because stuff could be taken from a bag, it could also be put in, such as a bomb.

The search of the fellas house showed it had been going on for a while.

People are unlikely to do something wrong if you are being watched by armed security.

Thailand security is lax. Malaysias is not.

2 hours ago, pbeieio said:

Kill a bird with 2 stones 

2 hours ago, fruitman said:

I also read about that chinese group so i was aware.

It was air asia flight BKK-Penang...

The Thai man infront of me looked also very muscular and i was amazed he spoke good english. Believe it or not but 4 days later while boarding the returnflight he happened to sit infront of me again..He jokingly said he would keep his luggage on his lap during the flight, which he did.

I saw that chinese guy while walking on penang-airport, he was there with 2 ladies and 2 children.

I still don't know why he took my backpack, nobody was asleep and he did it right above me with me watching him closely. He first took all other backpacks out but put them back, than he took mine...his luggage was some compartments infront of us where he sat.

I had a new Samsonite backpack, maybe i should change it for a cheap one without brandname.

But also i don't understand how people can board a plane, stuff a big suitcase somewhere and walk to the back to get seated. Maybe his suitcase was too heavy for him to carry to the back but i think it's rude to stuff it in other passengers' compartment, after seeing that i already was aware that something strange was going on in that plane.

Having nondescript, unfashionable, slightly shabby looking luggage has served me well for many years. No anxiety over it being lost and it must look like a poor prospect to any would-be thief. But yes, added vigilance these days.

7 hours ago, darksidedog said:

What I find disturbing is that when CC TV was checked, he was found almost immediately.

He walks off with the bag somewhere quiet. Had no one in airport security noticed this unusual behavioue before?

Even more worrying, if he can walk off to take something out, he could just as easily put something in.

Drugs for an unsuspecting mule, or a bomb on an outward leg.

````Good thinking............ I wonder if he was muslim???  Yes, your thought really needs to be considered seriously by all the securitys all over the world..............

I have to give you ONE for this..........

Ken (Darkside also)

Can't tell from the post exactly where in the airport he stole the things.  But it sounds like upon arrival where people collect their luggage from the carousel.  Most airports do not check luggage tags there, and it is easy to accidentally or on purpose just grab whatever luggage one wants.  In all my years traveling I can only recall one time arriving at LAX where they actually had the area kind of enclosed and an employee at the little turnstyle  that actually checked luggage tags in your hand with what was on the bag. 

16 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

This video shows how easy it is to open luggage !!

Just don't pack valuables in checked luggage !!

Sent from my iPhone with the usual amount of sincerity and sarcasm emoji4.png

No, this product doesn't do much.  There are so many other ways into the bag.

9 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

This video shows how easy it is to open luggage !!

Just don't pack valuables in checked luggage !!

Sent from my iPhone with the usual amount of sincerity and sarcasm emoji4.png

My checked in luggage is padlocked mainly to avoid people putting something in it. Imagine they put drugs in it as mentioned before.

12 hours ago, fruitman said:

It's a common trick people pull when they want to get off quicker.

As soon as the plane pulls up they are off weaving their way forward 20 rows instead of waiting patiently like everyone else does.

If I see anyone pull that stunt, I normally point it out to the stewies, who will happily take the bag back to the little runts and stick it where their seat is.

You should try it.