Amulets and statue saves Thai from certain death in pick-up smash

rooster59

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, delgarcon said:

And the Thai bashing carries on! Why do you people live here when you think so badly of these people?

because we don't look at Thailand through rose tinted glasses

Just honesty and clarity of many years here

7 hours ago, USPatriot said:

He isn't hurting anyone if that what he believes saved him good. Then

for him.

This time.

the scary shit is that this belief is endemic... and stories that appear to prove it (:cheesy: ), only make the roads more dangerous for others

5 hours ago, delgarcon said:

And the Thai bashing carries on! Why do you people live here when you think so badly of these people?

I don't think it's about Thai bashing.... it's about superstition bashing.... I'm happy to bash anyone relying on superstition as there means of making it thru the day.

6 hours ago, delgarcon said:

I have my very own reasons being here and Thainess is not one of them. In fact my stays here are centered around educating friends and bringing them common sense. By doing so they will have much more opportunities in a system that likes to keep them ignorant with amulets, statues, superstition, fear of a higher caste person, etc.

6 hours ago, delgarcon said:

Who says 'you people' are thinking so badly? Saying a 'stupid philosophy' is stupid is calling something what it is. If you think it is not stupid then tell us why.

6 hours ago, SoilSpoil said:

There are a lot of people who believe in the virgin birth of Jesus as well. Or visit Lourdes in the South of France.  So ignorance and superstition are cross cultural traits. 

Well aren’t you the man -  out to soi Nana tonight for a few beers with the delusion that your are enlightened and a “handsum man”!!

Calling all that have faith, perhaps 5 billion souls in the world, ignorant is in fact, totally ignorant!

This Thai bashing is terrible. I remember when people that used to come here loved Thailand and the people.

This forum has somehow been reduced to Thai haters, brought here as they can’t live comfortably in their own country on a meagre pension or have any social skills to find a normal wife.

I’ve stayed in this great monks temple and he did have extraordinary powers.

Well aren’t you the man -  out to soi Nana tonight for a few beers with the delusion that your are enlightened and a “handsum man”!!

Calling all that have faith, perhaps 5 billion souls in the world, ignorant is in fact, totally ignorant!

This Thai bashing is terrible. I remember when people that used to come here loved Thailand and the people.

This forum has somehow been reduced to Thai haters, brought here as they can’t live comfortably in their own country on a meagre pension or have any social skills to find a normal wife.

Wat powers did he have?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

4 hours ago, DM07 said:

Because THIS is ridiculous BS and needs to be called out as such!

Nothing to do with Thai- bashing!

It is Thai bashing. it is on every thread here these days.

The ironic thing is that probably most of these "oldtimers" has a Buddhist Thai wedding and paid out sinsot for a 35 year old Buddhist with kids..

5 minutes ago, ThaiCitizen said:

You're right and wrong at the same time, sir/mam. 

Not all of us go to Nana for a few beers and not all of us are married to a bargirl because we couldn't find a woman back home.

Please do not generalize foreigners. Many of us live a very similar life like Thais do pay taxes, help poor people and do many things you might not know of.

Many expats got hit with inflation and they only get half in baht for their money what they had when they settled down. Many of us have a family help the parent sin law and other family members.

Please don't make them to cheap Charley's, now. I hope that this monk gave you enough knowledge to differentiate between the good and the bad ones. 

A discussion about different religious beliefs doesn't have to be Thai bashing, sir.

If your extraordinary powers from this monk now only consist of "Farang bashing posts", he might not be such a good monk.

A very pleasant weekend. Should your monk have the insight to know the next lottery numbers I'd be more than happy to make a great Tamboon for his temple and will, of course, help you put as well.

May the Lord Buddha be with you wherever you go. 

Incredible how these people really believe wearing such & such amulet will make them bullet-proof and impervious to death. Has it never occurred to them that a division of bullet-proof Thai soldiers, all wearing their protective amulets, could conquer the world?

Are you suggesting they haven't?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just yesterday I made a joke about buying an amulet and then this has to pop up, brilliant timing guys, really....

Worst part is people (well, thais at least) will believe this story more than the jokes we crack at them amulets and statues :|

3 of my Thai friends was in an accident (pickup vs. truck) but only one of them survived. After the accident the local amulet guru made the statement that the amulets that the driver had was fake/not originals and the amulets the other dead man were not for safety but for attracting women while the amulet that the survivor had was an original safety amulet (it's even called ปลอดภัย (safety) in Thai) by a famous monk...

2 hours ago, ThaiCitizen said:

It is Thai bashing. it is on every thread here these days.

The ironic thing is that probably most of these "oldtimers" has a Buddhist Thai wedding and paid out sinsot for a 35 year old Buddhist with kids..

Yeah...whining over Thai- bashing and garnishing it, with a bit of expat- bashing!

Classy!

Just now, wgdanson said:

Cos they are stupid, religiously misled people

AS  is everyone who adheres to a religion which dictates what you must or must not do. Live and let live whoever they want to believe in, it's up to them. But keep them off the <deleted> roads please.

There seems to be more than enough posts commenting on how a belief in a religious artifact can be related to driving aggressively on the road to lead me to believe that there are a disproportionately large amount of elderly women on this forum. 

People, especially men, do stupid shit when they feel they are in command of something that they think is more powerful than them. Cars, motorcycles, guns, nature.

Its also not uncommon for people to thank a higher power (even if they're not traditionally religious) when they have a near death experience.

There are many more 'ignorant' things to worship than a symbol of spirituality...like I don't know....Money...or a phallacy.