Start-up to launch taxi service using electric scooters

Start-up to launch taxi service using electric scooters

By PICHAYA CHANGSORN
THE NATION

d39de85c45b9a89b52e43bd53128de8c.jpeg

Etran Group chief executive Soranun Choochut introduces his Etran Promp, dubbed "the world's first electric-innovative scooter for public use"

ETRAN GROUP, a start-up company, hopes to raise initial funding of Bt300 million to launch an electric-motorbike service in Bangkok in the third quarter of this year.

Chief executive officer Soranun Choochut held a news conference to reveal his business plan and his prototype “Etran Prom”, made with a 3D printer, which he dubbed “the world’s first innovative electric scooter for public use”.

“Someone asked me why nobody did this before. I think perhaps the US does not have motorcycle-taxi queues like us,” he said.

Full story: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/business/corporate/30307182

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-02-25

They look a lot more comfortable than the crappy motorbike taxis they have now.  

I don't use motorbike taxis mainly because sitting perched right up the back so you are not touching the rider is uncomfortable.   

These look like they'd solve that problem.

8 hours ago, rooster59 said:

I think perhaps the US does not have motorcycle-taxi queues like us,” he said.

He "thinks perhaps"?

Americans tend towards rider comfort and safety found with auto taxis, buses, light rail.

However, since 2000 passenger motor bikes have been operating in London ... but one books them in advance. No queues.

http://www.passengerbikes.com/

They should go to neighbouring Burma, and check out electric bikes in the city of Magway.... several places rent out  electric bikes/ scooters.... sort of as shown in first image. (Made in China) 

Not what one would call reliable...and not for traveling in hilly areas and not always reliable on the flat...:sad: So not the first time this is tried in the world.