Brit tourist mysteriously found dead in Thailand sent chilling last messages about 'scary guy in face mask'

rooster59

4 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

"scary guy with mask"

"after mushroom"  that is a surprise

"got myself some Ritalin from the pharmacy"

It wouldn't be a surprise if his "spiked drinks" had some alcohol in it

One of the many doped up idiots on the full moon party.

YES....Exactly.........best explanation yet!

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow.... the daily mirror really crucified this guy by releasing all those texts.

another unfortunate death, certainly... but no wonder... I bet the clear up patts brigade will enjoy a respite from being the center of attention (for a day or two)

1 hour ago, Shaunduhpostman said:

You might jump to the conclusion that the guy took mushrooms and Ritalin and then drank booze some of which may have been spiked with something, it is an even bigger assumption to say he took the Ritalin. He just says that got the stuff. As for him having been murdered, "scary guy with a mask" and his statement that his drink had been spiked could be the mushrooms altering his perceptions or could have been just that, a scary guy with a mask appearing after he'd had his drink spiked or any combo of those elements. In any case, we only have what he texted to go on which may or may not correspond to  what actually happened to the guy.  Ritalin is not known to have any fatal effects when mixed with alcohol and/or mushrooms, if indeed they were just mushrooms with nothing else added so it really does seem there was something beyond his own drug mixing that did him in. 

Your kidding, right?

a few... well, maybe longer... years ago, an Aussie on mushrooms in Bali jumped off his balcony.... repeatedly... until he finally found that he really couldn't fly.... brown bread dead.

this guy texted he took the mushrooms.... you'd have to be crazy to assume he did not take the Ritalin, and everyone knows they put dodgy alcohol in the booze buckets

get real

4 hours ago, ratcatcher said:

That wasn't my point. Thailand is not considered "a very dangerous country". 

Thailand is no more "dangerous" than Singapore, Malaysia, Laos, Myanmar & Philippines who all enjoy large tourism numbers.

http://www.businessinsider.com/dangerous-countries-world-tourists-travel-international-2017-1 

I think you need to revisit the list you posted at 37.... you cast a very wide net.

from 163 countries listed, I think it was, Thailand is at 39, after the war torn or terrorist stated.

phillipines ranks at 25, ( no wonder with Duarte in power) whilst Singapore is at 146 (not much more dangerous than Australia at 149)....  Malaysia at 134.... Laos at 112, leaving Myanmar as the closest of your examples at 49, still ten places higher than Thailand.

that said.... I do believe that most dangers and misfortunes (outside the crazy traffic system) are self induced

2 hours ago, Shaunduhpostman said:

You might jump to the conclusion that the guy took mushrooms and Ritalin and then drank booze some of which may have been spiked with something, it is an even bigger assumption to say he took the Ritalin. He just says that got the stuff. As for him having been murdered, "scary guy with a mask" and his statement that his drink had been spiked could be the mushrooms altering his perceptions or could have been just that, a scary guy with a mask appearing after he'd had his drink spiked or any combo of those elements. In any case, we only have what he texted to go on which may or may not correspond to  what actually happened to the guy.  Ritalin is not known to have any fatal effects when mixed with alcohol and/or mushrooms, if indeed they were just mushrooms with nothing else added so it really does seem there was something beyond his own drug mixing that did him in. 

Are you sure?

Ritalin generally stimulates the CNS, while alcohol generally depresses it. These two effects, however, don’t balance or cancel each other out. Both Ritalin and alcohol affect dopamine in the brain, but Ritalin also affects norepinephrine. Combining alcohol with Ritalin can cause unpredictable emotional or physical effects.

http://www.healthline.com/health/adhd/ritalin-and-alcohol

Let's see if I have this right......  he's taking hallucinogetic mushrooms, mixing them with Ritalin (Methylphenidate, a powerful psychostimulant that can cause side effects like depression, emotional lability, paranoia, and confusion and should only be used for certain conditions under doctor's care),  and little doubt alcohol.... and he's seeing a "scary guy in face mask" and thinking people want to kill him ? ? 

How come I'm not surprised ? ?    I guess overdose of mixed drugs... (can't forget alcohol is a powerful drug also).....  and in his changed mental state...  a slim.. but never-the-less possible,  chance of suicide. 

When I'm in the LOS... I prefer Pad Thai, Khao Soi, and temples...  I've never gone to a crazy Full Moon Party...  and never will...  

Where did it say he was a hooligan?

Kohphanganitis covers anything from missing limbs, being shot, stabbed or found floating face down in the ocean.

That is quite a stretch to say "From the article he apparently overdosed."

It does not state that. There are no autopsy results. He could have died from falling over and banging his head, drowning, heart failure, murder, you name it.

The article does not state how he died.

Not that it makes much difference, but he didn't get ritalin from a local pharmacy- he claimed he got dexamphetamine, and I can't see that coming from a local pharmacy, either.  Ritalin's only available legally in hospitals.  If it did come from a local pharmacy, there's no telling what he took.

Rather disturbing snippet from the linked article:    Last year, Thai authorities launched an investigation into a 54 per cent rise in tourist deaths, after 83 holidaymakers lost their lives in the country in 2015.

I suspect the 83 is a serious fib on the low side (based on published numbers from other governments about consular assistance to their own citizens), but the statement that Thai authorities acknowledge a 54% increase is scary.

I would call it "misadventure", caused from poor choices and drugs and alcohol.

And this guy was a father to boot, and it usually is the same nationality.
When will these lads grow up?

The destination cant be held 100% accountable either.

Risk takers and guys like this who want to "live on the edge" will come to grips eventually, no matter where they are.

But granted, Thailand, with its soft touch on controlling farang hooligans does seem to offer the invitation for trouble on a silver platter

"scary guy with mask"
"after mushroom"  that is a surprise
"got myself some Ritalin from the pharmacy"
It wouldn't be a surprise if his "spiked drinks" had some alcohol in it
One of the many doped up idiots on the full moon party.

3 minutes ago, fourwheeler said:

I'm sure I read somewhere it said he supported Millwall.......

3 hours ago, USPatriot said:

If he had Ben caught with the drugs by the police he would wish he was dead.

Scary man in a mask I wonder how many of his friends thought he was on drugs when posting the comment

All of them

hence the reply... " what???" ... on the app thread

16 hours ago, farcanell said:

Wow.... the daily mirror really crucified this guy by releasing all those texts.

another unfortunate death, certainly... but no wonder... I bet the clear up patts brigade will enjoy a respite from being the center of attention (for a day or two)

Indeed, the UK tabloids seem to publish anything to sell a paper without any respect of the deceased or feelings of their family. Trawling through their social media and publishing details seems to be the norm. Their lack of respect especially noticeable when young UK people die overseas from misadventure or murder and often it's been in Thailand.

Indeed, the UK tabloids seem to publish anything to sell a paper without any respect of the deceased or feelings of their family. Trawling through their social media and publishing details seems to be the norm. Their lack of respect especially noticeable when young UK people die overseas from misadventure or murder and often it's been in Thailand.

That's an interesting comment coming from a country that's obsessed with photo's of corpses and finger pointing in news subjects.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 2/26/2017 at 8:12 AM, Briggsy said:

That is quite a stretch to say "From the article he apparently overdosed."

It does not state that. There are no autopsy results. He could have died from falling over and banging his head, drowning, heart failure, murder, you name it.

The article does not state how he died.

<deleted> I never said the article stated that he died from an overdose. From the article, it's apparent TO ME that he more than likely overdosed, based on the drugs involved, and because of his subsequent Facebook posts.

12 minutes ago, Jimbo in Thailand said:

<deleted> I never said the article stated that he died from an overdose. From the article, it's apparent TO ME that he more than likely overdosed, based on the drugs involved, and because of his subsequent Facebook posts.

OK, you just poorly phrased it, understood.  But based on the drugs involved it is unlikely that he overdosed, mushrooms would not really be possible and Ritalin very unlikely, if it were heroin then sure, but these two, no. 

The shocking thing is the 83 tourist deaths. It is funny the impression that you get from the newspapers can be misleading. TV for example puts news that is likely to be of interest to ex-pats and tourist or ex-pat deaths are certainly of interest, and therefore they perhaps seem fore frequent than they are. If you has asked me, before reading the Mirror report, I would have said that at least 83 tourists/ex-pats leap off Bangkok or Pattaya balconies each year.

He was just another drug addict . Funny how they keep coming to Thailand when the law is very clear about the use of illegal drugs.   Yes blame it on Thailand as always but he should have kept away from the hard drugs.  RIP. 

10 hours ago, retarius said:

The shocking thing is the 83 tourist deaths. It is funny the impression that you get from the newspapers can be misleading. TV for example puts news that is likely to be of interest to ex-pats and tourist or ex-pat deaths are certainly of interest, and therefore they perhaps seem fore frequent than they are. If you has asked me, before reading the Mirror report, I would have said that at least 83 tourists/ex-pats leap off Bangkok or Pattaya balconies each year.

Please have a look here and add the guys that will never be found because they might be under someone's rice field.

The first photo shows the poor German guy after his motorcycle accident. It's a never ending list and you get some usually more and better-researched details. 

https://www.farang-deaths.com/

Edited by ajarngreg

4 minutes ago, ajarngreg said:

Please have a look here and add the guys that will never be found because they might be under someone's rice field.

The first photo shows the poor German guy after his motorcycle accident. It's a never ending list and you get some usually more and better-researched details. 

https://www.farang-deaths.com/

There are estimated to be between 500,000 and 1 million expats in Thailand, then there are the 30 million tourists per year, of course there are going to be some deaths, but there are a lot.  There are a lot of suicides, but then there are a lot of depressed expats and the suicide rate in Thailand is high, there are a lot of accidents, but then Thailand does have one of the worlds highest rates of deaths on the road.  People should make themselves aware of where they are, the stats are not unusual for Thailand they are just off the scale for the countries the expats come from.

7 minutes ago, Shawn0000 said:

There are estimated to be between 500,000 and 1 million expats in Thailand, then there are the 30 million tourists per year, of course there are going to be some deaths, but there are a lot.  There are a lot of suicides, but then there are a lot of depressed expats and the suicide rate in Thailand is high, there are a lot of accidents, but then Thailand does have one of the worlds highest rates of deaths on the road.  People should make themselves aware of where they are, the stats are not unusual for Thailand they are just off the scale for the countries the expats come from.

I'm doing some volunteering for a specific group and it's really saddening to hear the stories once all money was taken away by some greedy and gambling, sometimes drug and/or alcohol addicted wives.

It makes me very sad to see so many of them in circumstances where I already know that they don't make it out of the hospital alive. 

The last report included four suicides, but only two were successful.It's a very sad world and I've come to the conclusion that not too many foreigners are even willing to help other foreigners.

Instead of helping each other ( if possible) a lot of them believe that they could never be in such a situation. But please, never say never.

It's a sad world we're living in and only reading some posts here shows a certain degree of hate in many posts. 

Why do foreigners in Thailand hate each other so much? 

7 minutes ago, ajarngreg said:

I'm doing some volunteering for a specific group and it's really saddening to hear the stories once all money was taken away by some greedy and gambling, sometimes drug and/or alcohol addicted wives.

It makes me very sad to see so many of them in circumstances where I already know that they don't make it out of the hospital alive. 

The last report included four suicides, but only two were successful.It's a very sad world and I've come to the conclusion that not too many foreigners are even willing to help other foreigners.

Instead of helping each other ( if possible) a lot of them believe that they could never be in such a situation. But please, never say never.

It's a sad world we're living in and only reading some posts here shows a certain degree of hate in many posts. 

Why do foreigners in Thailand hate each other so much? 

Having noticed this, especially on some of these pages. I have been wondering how to pose this same question

you have done it quite well.... I know not the answer, but will be interested in any replies.

Not the sort of thing I want to read when I'm heading to my first full moon party in April.  Sounds like partygoers have a bad reputation (probably justified in most cases) at these parties.  Luckily I'm not stupid enough to go over there and take drugs and I know my limits when it comes to drinking.  It's a shame so many Brits give the rest of us a bad name when going abroad.

Not the sort of thing I want to read when I'm heading to my first full moon party in April.  Sounds like partygoers have a bad reputation (probably justified in most cases) at these parties.  Luckily I'm not stupid enough to go over there and take drugs and I know my limits when it comes to drinking.  It's a shame so many Brits give the rest of us a bad name when going abroad.

I am very sorry to have to agree with you but wonder if it's also an indication of how many 'Brits' actually holiday 'abroad'.

If there are more 'Brits' here, there is likely to be more trouble from them, than say 'Japs'

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk