Brit tourist mysteriously found dead in Thailand sent chilling last messages about 'scary guy in face mask'

rooster59

Brit tourist mysteriously found dead in Thailand sent chilling last messages about 'scary guy in face mask'

BY RICHARD WHEATSTONE

THP_MDG_250217Apperley_021JPG.jpg

Andrew Apperley was found dead a week after he vanished (Photo: Mirror Online)

Andrew Apperley, 38, was on holiday when he vanished after telling his family he was attending a Full-Moon Party on the island of Ko Phangan 

A British tourist found dead in Thailand sent chilling final messages about a "scary guy in a face mask" and people wanting to kill him shortly before he vanished.

Andrew Apperley, 38, from Eastbourne, Sussex, was reported missing four days after failing to return from a Full-Moon Party on the paradise island of Ko Phangan on February 12.

In the early hours of February 13, the dad-of-one sent an alarming series of messages on WhatsApp and Facebook telling pals he was in the danger.

Full story: http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/brit-tourist-mysteriously-found-dead-9914437

Mirror 2017-02-26

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Jimbo in Thailand said:

Are you serious?  Did you read the article?  He mixed hallucinogenic mushrooms with Ritalin, and probably booze too. He then sends a Facebook message, "I'm tripping out. Think I've been spiked."  Gee, what could that possibly mean?

he is catching the boat back?

1 minute ago, Jimbo in Thailand said:

Are you serious?  Did you read the article?  He mixed hallucinogenic mushrooms with Ritalin, and probably booze too. He then sends a Facebook message, "I'm tripping out. Think I've been spiked."  Gee, what could that possibly mean?

That is quite a stretch to say "From the article he apparently overdosed."

It does not state that. There are no autopsy results. He could have died from falling over and banging his head, drowning, heart failure, murder, you name it.

The article does not state how he died.

6 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

That is quite a stretch to say "From the article he apparently overdosed."

It does not state that. There are no autopsy results. He could have died from falling over and banging his head, drowning, heart failure, murder, you name it.

The article does not state how he died.

Came to a full moon party for an intensive bible study...what drugs...

If they found the guy had actually died from drugs it would be all over the news by now

But its getting onto about 2 weeks after the event and still no update or autopsy results released.

that in itself does not sound good.

Edited by bamukloy
added sentance

well he was either on a 'bad trip' or there really was a scary guy in a mask threatening him but if that's the case wouldn't he use his mobile to take a snap?  go to Police?  get off the island?  hope we find out more as foreigners dying here is far too frequent and we never seem to hear the results of an investigation

23 minutes ago, djayz said:

A combo of magic mushrooms + Ritalin and eventually alcohol = nothing good can come of this. 

Not that it makes much difference, but he didn't get ritalin from a local pharmacy- he claimed he got dexamphetamine, and I can't see that coming from a local pharmacy, either.  Ritalin's only available legally in hospitals.  If it did come from a local pharmacy, there's no telling what he took.

Rather disturbing snippet from the linked article:    Last year, Thai authorities launched an investigation into a 54 per cent rise in tourist deaths, after 83 holidaymakers lost their lives in the country in 2015.

I suspect the 83 is a serious fib on the low side (based on published numbers from other governments about consular assistance to their own citizens), but the statement that Thai authorities acknowledge a 54% increase is scary.

19 minutes ago, ezzra said:

It seems that Thailand is fast becoming a place for foreigners to fulfill

their death wish with so many of them losing their lives in 'paradise'

whether by design or accidents.....

And, so? Thailand is a place where you can do pretty much what you want -- "life without borders". And for those of us with some sense, judgment and a pretty good idea of where the lines lie that you should not cross, Thailand is a great place to live and play -- "up to you". For those without an internal GPS (as this guy seems to be), Thailand can be a very dangerous/deadly place to holiday/live. If you depart and take no one with you, your bin (bill) is clean when you depart. It is those that act like lunatics and take others with them in the process of acting like super heroes (mostly on the roads with super sized motorbikes) that are the bigger and more serious problem in Thailand. Have a nice "next life".

I would call it "misadventure", caused from poor choices and drugs and alcohol.

And this guy was a father to boot, and it usually is the same nationality.

When will these lads grow up?

The destination cant be held 100% accountable either.

Risk takers and guys like this who want to "live on the edge" will come to grips eventually, no matter where they are.

But granted, Thailand, with its soft touch on controlling farang hooligans does seem to offer the invitation for trouble on a silver platter

1 hour ago, Briggsy said:

How did you come to think that?

"scary guy with mask"

"after mushroom"  that is a surprise

"got myself some Ritalin from the pharmacy"

It wouldn't be a surprise if his "spiked drinks" had some alcohol in it

One of the many doped up idiots on the full moon party.

8 minutes ago, bamukloy said:

I would call it "misadventure", caused from poor choices and drugs and alcohol.

And this guy was a father to boot, and it usually is the same nationality.

When will these lads grow up?

The destination cant be held 100% accountable either.

Risk takers and guys like this who want to "live on the edge" will come to grips eventually, no matter where they are.

But granted, Thailand, with its soft touch on controlling farang hooligans does seem to offer the invitation for trouble on a silver platter

Where did it say he was a hooligan?

And yet another tourist turns up dead in suspicious circumstances.

It is becoming almost as common as reading of another road accident.

I note his brother wants a full and proper investigation, with nothing swept under the carpet.

I sincerely hope the truth does come out, but Thailand is very, very good at a short sharp investigation, with conclusions that save them face.

Suicide, accident, misadventure, overdose..............Never murder, unless there really is no other option.

1 minute ago, bamukloy said:

Not to single this guy out as a hooligan

OK I thought you meant this guy.  

It said in the article his brother said he had visited Thailand over 10 times. He wasn't a kid or backpacker on his first adventure to Thailand. He knew the risk mixing booze and chucking all sorts of drugs down his neck

RIP mate

38 minutes ago, LannaGuy said:

well he was either on a 'bad trip' or there really was a scary guy in a mask threatening him but if that's the case wouldn't he use his mobile to take a snap?  go to Police?  get off the island?  hope we find out more as foreigners dying here is far too frequent and we never seem to hear the results of an investigation

Or trampled to death by pink elephants. 

7 hours ago, darksidedog said:

I sincerely hope the truth does come out, but Thailand is very, very good at a short sharp investigation, with conclusions that save them face.

Suicide, accident, misadventure, overdose..............Never murder, unless there really is no other option.

Foreigners here are just an inconvenience,this is Thailand for Thai people  :whistling: