Crazy queue at Suvarnabhumi Airport’s immigration causes travelers to miss flights

Jonathan Fairfield

9 hours ago, tukkytuktuk said:

Some unhappy campers by the looks of it. Dear oh dear Miss T.a.t lady. What have you to say on this?

surprised  they  havent  been  arrested  for  tarnishing  Thailands already  pathetic  reputation even  more

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you have a Non Immigrant visa (yearly extension) and travel with your Thai wife, is it possible (legally) to go through the Thai only channel?

Used to be able to but due to automated system for thai passports you have to join the masses. Happened to me recently. My 3 went through thai passports in seconds, I had to join the big queues, would have struggled to catch my plane as time was running out so asked one of the assistants at the bottom of the escalator for help who just told me to go ask at the front of the queue, which I did, asked in thai, and cut in - could feel the daggers. Ran for my plane and just about made it to the relief of my family who'd been waiting for me at the gate.

The immigration queue could be reduced if the automated passport reading gates are open.  On one recent return through Swampy, I asked one of the attendants whether I could use the passport reader gate and was informed yes but I had to register to use it first and that had to be done somewhere in the airport before one enters the immigration line.  Does anyone know where one can register to use the passport reader gates, as it will save a lot of time waiting in line. 

I travelled through security and immigration yesterday between 9.30am and 10.30am. I saw for the first time, 2 long queues in the departures hall for Priority immigration. I decided to go up the escalator the usual route. It was very busy, as usual these days, but manageable if you allow one hour.

Coming in to Thailand there's also always massive queues.

If your wife is Thai and you have your child with you you can go through the Thai channel. At first the queue guy said no but I said we are a family and travelling together. He then pointed us towards the Family, OAP, desk. Just smile and insist you are travelling together and they will let you into the Thai channel or family channel. The key, as always is to be polite and smile. When a Thai says no to something insist politely and they will usually allow you to proceed in order to avoid a confrontation or a loss of face. Or they will escalate the situation to the point of no return!

4 minutes ago, StefanBBK said:

And I thought my 1 hour waiting at immigration two weeks ago was unreal.... had just a short flight, so no priority lane....

Sent from my SM-G925F using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

The outbound priority lane generally works fine ( the non-priority TIP queue jumpers are a minor irritant). The inbound lane is hopeless because it is so poorly signposted that it is inavariably full of tourists from NESB and thinknthey are in the right lane. Complicating matters is the fact they rarely have the form completed, further exacerbated by immigration officers completing the form for them. 

The process is ludicrous and for a country so highly dependent on tourist $$$, it is scandalous that Madame Tourism has not fixed this problem. It goes without saying that on any of her visits to the airport she would be swept through the Uber-VIP line and need never see the discomfort of the 'little people'

Sure, BKK is not much worse that LHR or JFK, but those airports can afford a take it or leave it attitude ( no matter how much a pain in the arse it is). BKK needs a great experience, like Changi, Seoul, Hong Kong, so that a long queue is not the tourists final , miserable experience on departure.

1 minute ago, VIBE said:

Really?  If married you can use the Thai line?  Have you ever been turned away?  Do you approach the counter together?

Thanks

Married with kids who are travelling with you? Then yes. If just you and the missus, possibly, especially if you have a marriage vi

If your visas are in any way linked then any country usually allows families to pass through immigration together. I once went through immigration in Heathrow on the EU channel and left wife in Non EU.  When she had a problem and needed my assistance they wouldn't let me back through to help until I assisted on seeing a supervisor. My wife had no transit visa as our plane had been diverted to Heathrow due to bad weather. Retards in immigration failed to understand she could hardly get a transit visa in mid flight! So stick together if you are travelling as a family is my advice.

Totally disgusting, and the worst "modern" airport I have ever been through. Not only are the staff pathetically slow but they are also severely in need of a personality adjustment. Something is WRONG with this airport, and manning a small percentage of the gates is only making matters much MUCH worse.

13 hours ago, taff33 said:

Is it still that if you are over seventy you can use the Thai immigration queue?

I'm not sure that you can use the regular Thai queue, but on the Priority Fast Track lane the sign says eligible users include those over 70 years old, I don't know if it works or if those accompanying them can also use the Priority Lane. 

6 hours ago, chickenslegs said:

For my friends and family visiting Thailand I always book the arrivals service with BFS.

For 1,600 THB (2,000 for a couple) they get met off the plane, golf cart to immigration, fast track avoiding the queues, help with luggage collection, then brought to meet us at the pick-up point. Without the golf cart it's 850 THB (1,450 for a couple).

They also have a departures service, which I have never used, so I'm not sure whether they can help avoid the queues.

this is not airline restricted?  any airline?  I'm gonna have to try this

I go in and out at both Bangkok airports regularly and over the past couple of years have noticed that the immigration queues are getting longer, the problem appears to be two-fold, firstly not all of the desks are manned and secondly the nationality of the people who are being processed by immigration has changed, these people tend not to know how to fill in the TM.6, which in turn delays the time required to process each individual, a lot of the times the IO allows them to fill it out at the desk instead of kicking them back. They do have staff checking the TM.6 at the end of the arrival line in BKK, but this seems to be a cursory check at times. Seems to be often that the TM.6 departure is not filled out prior to arrival at departure immigration, couple this with having to be filled out in English, a language which a lot of the new age 'tourists' cannot read or write.

Maybe it is time to have the TM.6 in languages that are understood by these tourists, or even do away with it altogether.

1 minute ago, Mattd said:

I go in and out at both Bangkok airports regularly and over the past couple of years have noticed that the immigration queues are getting longer, the problem appears to be two-fold, firstly not all of the desks are manned and secondly the nationality of the people who are being processed by immigration has changed, these people tend not to know how to fill in the TM.6, which in turn delays the time required to process each individual, a lot of the times the IO allows them to fill it out at the desk instead of kicking them back. They do have staff checking the TM.6 at the end of the arrival line in BKK, but this seems to be a cursory check at times. Seems to be often that the TM.6 departure is not filled out prior to arrival at departure immigration, couple this with having to be filled out in English, a language which a lot of the new age 'tourists' cannot read or write.

Maybe it is time to have the TM.6 in languages that are understood by these tourists, or even do away with it altogether.

hand them out with a multi-lingo explanation sheet or better still get rid of them as you say

There are always 2/3 of the immigration officer seats unoccupied.  The ones that are working there are sullen and disinterested - presumably they wanted to become real police but ended up with a 'desk' job.  It usually takes 1 hour or more to ticket and get through immigration.  Sometimes 1.5 hours.  Don Muang is even worse.

Does anyone know the best and quietest day and time to fly into Suvarnabhumi airport? I've had absolute nightmares the last 3 times i've traveled to Thailand.. huge queues at immigration mostly full of Chinese people.. Last time it literally took me about 30 minutes just to get through the immigration 

It's gotten so bad i will choose my flight times now in order to hopefully lessen the hell i have to go through..

"So strange. Go into a shop in a department store and you can see an overkill of staff. Go through immigration at Swampy and you can see unmanned immigration counters"

I was told that to work in a department store you need to at least finish Grade 5, while work at Swampy demands Grade 6 (or was it 7, I forgot)

9 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Perhaps the same officials managing the Immigration staffing assignments at the airport are also those responsible for the dead (or almost dead) online 90-day reporting system. Both together, real top caliber operations. :ph34r:

you are correct the first time   DEAD