Crazy queue at Suvarnabhumi Airport’s immigration causes travelers to miss flights

Jonathan Fairfield

4 hours ago, wump said:

Did you know you can just skip the queue if you're about to miss your flight? Geez...

Sure, you go into the queue with all the other passengers who are about to miss their flights.  Normally works a treat.  But not when everyone's a special case...

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 2/28/2017 at 0:45 PM, ukrules said:

They shouldn't charge you for just one day, it's free of charge. Been there, done that, I also did a little longer overstay so I know the difference.

It seemed more legit than a lot of the charges I have seen from "officials" but I'm not sure where the money eventually ended up. Either way I was not going to argue and miss my flight. I suspect they knew that. I love living in Thailand but wish they would get past their attempts to fleece expats as often as they do. But Thailand is not the only place it happens.

From what I can see they are legit but it appears they are supposed to have the flight number and airline stamp on there, which clearly isn't going to be possible unless it's just something added at random or left blank.

I have dozens of these, mostly issued by airlines owing to status or CoS, which I usually pocket if the lines are not long. I've used blank ones, and have used one's which are hand-written with my name/flight details. IO's have never/ever questioned my usage of these, even if the flight details might not match. There are many, many, many people who work at the airport who have these. Some of these people give them to friends, or sell them in the secondary market. Sometimes the Fast Track lines are longer than the normal lines; both departing and arriving.

On 2/28/2017 at 3:43 PM, jamie2009 said:

My point is why do you have to through Immigration when leaving Thailand, your going gone, maybe never to come back again.

I have been going through BKK Aiport 4 times a year for years now and never seen any one being pulled for overstaying, why don't they just do random checks.

most overstayers go to the local Immigration to sort an overstay out.

I know of no other country where you go through an Immigration check point on exiting the country,.

if they weighed up the cost of staffing Immigration at BKK Airport against the fines they receive from overstayers I am sure there would be a big loss.

but hey this is Thailand I forgot.

To prevent certain politicians and monks from fleeing? And there are some foreigners caught doing bad on cctv and such...

4 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

From what I can see they are legit but it appears they are supposed to have the flight number and airline stamp on there, which clearly isn't going to be possible unless it's just something added at random or left blank.

I have dozens of these, mostly issued by airlines owing to status or CoS, which I usually pocket if the lines are not long. I've used blank ones, and have used one's which are hand-written with my name/flight details. IO's have never/ever questioned my usage of these, even if the flight details might not match. There are many, many, many people who work at the airport who have these. Some of these people give them to friends, or sell them in the secondary market. Sometimes the Fast Track lines are longer than the normal lines; both departing and arriving.

Re your comment 'sometimes the fast track lines are longer...'

This reminds me about Thai, many years ago a Thai gold card was not easy to achieve and not too many people had them, therefore using the gold card line at check-in was a big time saver. 

But then they issued gold cards to everybody* and often the check-in line for gold card holders was longer than the normal check-in line. (*in those days many people made comments 'my friend gave me a gold card', etc.)

27 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

oh investigation required... :)  

PS six on order these could be a Godsend - thank you

Edited by LannaGuy