Crazy queue at Suvarnabhumi Airport’s immigration causes travelers to miss flights

Jonathan Fairfield

Crazy queue at Suvarnabhumi Airport’s immigration causes travelers to miss flights

bc.png

Foreign tourists were stranded in a long line at the immigration checkpoint at Suvarnabhumi International Airport yesterday morning.

Morning News showed a video of a paranoia-inducing long line of travelers queuing at the immigration checkpoint to leave Thailand as only six out of eighteen counters were open for service around 8am on Sunday.  

The influx of travelers caused the line to stretch from the immigration checkpoint all the way to the check-in area, according to government radio channel JS100.

Full story: https://coconuts.co/bangkok/news/crazy-queue-suvarnabhumi-airports-immigration-causes-travelers-miss-flights/

coconts_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Coconuts Bangkok 2017-02-27

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So strange. Go into a shop in a department store and you can see an overkill of staff. Go through immigration at Swampy and you can see unmanned immigration counters that could be used. I'm lucky as I always travel with the missus and can go through the Thai only immigration, but you can see the confusion and frustration on travellers faces when they're in a huge queue with about 6 immigration officials stamping passports. 

Sort it out. 

It also sounds like the initial back-ups are at the security check-points as the lines to reach those on level 5 (for those who can't use the VIP lanes on level 4) are backed up (down?) the escalators into the check-in lobby on level 4? But the whole system could be grid-locked at departing Immigration?

There has been some buzz about increased security.

Edited by mtls2005

30 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

So strange. Go into a shop in a department store and you can see an overkill of staff. Go through immigration at Swampy and you can see unmanned immigration counters that could be used. I'm lucky as I always travel with the missus and can go through the Thai only immigration, but you can see the confusion and frustration on travellers faces when they're in a huge queue with about 6 immigration officials stamping passports. 

Sort it out. 

If you have a Non Immigrant visa (yearly extension) and travel with your Thai wife, is it possible (legally) to go through the Thai only channel?

Don't particularly want to queue up and then be turned back once at the counter!!

I went though BKK on Sunday of last week.  I had priority immigration and security access. In front of me were 2 groups of TIPs  with no right of access....but they managed to talk their way past the dragon and were still laughing and congratulating each other as they sauntered off into the duty free area. Certainly they were in no rush, so missing the flight could not have been the basis of their inappropriate access. Try doing it as a farang and they would laugh in your face.

40 or 50 passengers were delayed for my flight to Taipei, reaching the gate in a sweat , 15 minutes after scheduled departure time. Talking with the purser, it seems the situation in BKK is getting much worse and is very frustrating for crews/airlines.

17 minutes ago, Cuchulainn said:

If you have a Non Immigrant visa (yearly extension) and travel with your Thai wife, is it possible (legally) to go through the Thai only channel?

Don't particularly want to queue up and then be turned back once at the counter!!

Yes you cannot you can prove that you're family. Bring a copy of your marriage certificate

Out of curiosity how did you get married to a Thai with a non immigrant visa?

My son has a Thai and European passport, but whenever we go through Suvarnabhumi, he uses his Thai one and we can go through the often almost empty Thai Queue.

Saved me a good 2 hours last time we came back in as the queues were out of the hall, down into the corridor.

I don't understand hwhy sometimes it is okay and many counters open and sometimes not.

They know how many planes are landing, with X amount of people.

It shouldn't be that hard to work out how many staff are needed.

58 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

Sort it out. 

I don't think you can go through the Thai side anymore, I left in Jan and the Thai side is automated, has one assistant to assist the Thai people only

28 minutes ago, Cuchulainn said:

I used to do that with my wife but not now

3 minutes ago, luis888 said:

I don't think you can go through the Thai side anymore, I left in Jan and the Thai side is automated, has one assistant to assist the Thai people only

Correct. In arrivals, there were 3 young women to assist Thais going through the automated gates. 2 were awake and playing on their phones, the third in a deep slumber.Meanwhile the adjacent queues for everyone else stretched back 20 metres.

37 minutes ago, Cuchulainn said:

Every time me and the missus have come back into swampy I've gone through the Thai one. She always informs them before that I'm her husband and they always say okay. It's always worked for me. Just make sure you ask first. 

11 minutes ago, luis888 said:

It's worked for me every time. The last time I did it was the beginning of January. Maybe that's changed, but I hope not. My missus always informs them and asks politely. They always say it's fine. 

1 hour ago, rkidlad said:

I'm lucky as I always travel with the missus and can go through the Thai only immigration, but you can see the confusion and frustration on travellers faces when they're in a huge queue with about 6 immigration officials stamping passports. 

Last time I went thru Swampy Immigration in December, I was traveling outbound with my Thai wife, and I asked that exact question of the staff managing the queue, and was told I couldn't join my wife in her queue and I had to go to the separate one for foreigners.

Maybe I shouldn't have asked, and just gone with her regardless....

Just now, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Last time I went thru Swampy Immigration in December, I was traveling outbound with my Thai wife, and I asked that exact question of the staff managing the queue, and was told I couldn't join my wife in her queue and I had to go to the separate one for foreigners.

Maybe I shouldn't have asked, and just gone with her regardless....

My missus is always the one who asks. Probably better your missus asks. 

This is why when I fly I always assume that there will be problems and leave so that I have 2 hours extra and therefor usually arrive at the airport about 4 hours before departure and is first in line for check-in and not like some people that get there 5 min before check-in closes!
I rather sit down and relax or stroll thru tax-free than stress and risk missing my flight.

28 minutes ago, luis888 said:

17 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

Every time me and the missus have come back into swampy I've gone through the Thai one. She always informs them before that I'm her husband and they always say okay. It's always worked for me. Just make sure you ask first. 

The report concerning the queue and other's posters comments about automated Thai lanes refers to departures; have you been able to use the Thai only lanes when departing Thailand at Suvarnabhumi, rkidlad? 

1 minute ago, Kasset Tak said:

This is why when I fly I always assume that there will be problems and leave so that I have 2 hours extra and therefor usually arrive at the airport about 4 hours before departure and is first in line for check-in and not like some people that get there 5 min before check-in closes!
I rather sit down and relax or stroll thru tax-free than stress and risk missing my flight.

Agree about getting there early but it's not checkin that is the problem but rather 2 hours in an immigration queue....and while airlines are perfectly willing to cut off 2 or 3 late passengers and off load their luggage, they can't do it when 50 or more are still stuck in immigration at the scheduled departure time.

Passengers pay a premium for using Thai airports: the fees and taxes are among the highest in Asia, including Hong Kong and Singapore....but AOT and other agencies want to fob off the public with lamentable, 3rd world service.