Lunch Buffet - Bangkok

strikingsunset

On 2/27/2017 at 9:22 PM, puffy said:

If you want something different, there is a good Indian buffet and it also does some international food at the Holiday Inn Sukhumvit Soi 22 at their Maya restaurant on the top floor, great views also. 700 baht per person.

I have heard good things about Maya's buffet. Never tried it though. 

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, likeke said:

I have heard good things about Maya's buffet. Never tried it though. 

I have. It's very good for the price though a slightly unusual mixture of Indian and "international" with the international selection being limited to a few uninspiring salads and cheeses and desserts. But that's not what you go there for and the Indian part is fine.

It's Sunday brunch only. Add 500B for free-flow drinks.

10 hours ago, TommyTucker said:

We enjoy sampling the different and varied buffets in Bangkok. There is every option available from 399 baht to 1,500 baht plus.
The most enjoyable buffets in no particular order are as follows:

Mandarin Oriental
Anatara Riverside Siam (opposite RBSC)
So Sofitel Sathorn.

I've not been to any of those. How do they compare with (say) the Square at the Novotel, the Atelier at the Pullman, the Flow at the Hilton (best cheese selection), 27 Bites at Radisson Blu, the River Cafe at the Peninsula, the Atrium at the Landmark? That's just a selection: there are many other good ones also.

I still find the Sheraton Sukhumvit the best Sunday buffet. Generally all the top hotels provide top notch Sunday buffet but i find the Sheraton easy to get to driving, by MRT or BTS and i find it a little less stuffy than places like Lord Jim's.

Not sampled the Anantara since it changed from Four Seasons, but strangely the Four Seasons one was not in the same ball park as places like Sheraton.

3 hours ago, KittenKong said:

I've not been to any of those. How do they compare with (say) the Square at the Novotel, the Atelier at the Pullman, the Flow at the Hilton (best cheese selection), 27 Bites at Radisson Blu, the River Cafe at the Peninsula, the Atrium at the Landmark? That's just a selection: there are many other good ones also.

I've been to the Novotel buffet at Chidlom, and wasn't impressed, either in general or as a value proposition for the price. The rest, pretty much, are way beyond the price range the OP was asking about.

13 hours ago, TommyTucker said:

We enjoy sampling the different and varied buffets in Bangkok. There is every option available from 399 baht to 1,500 baht plus.
The most enjoyable buffets in no particular order are as follows:

Mandarin Oriental
So Sofitel Sathorn.

There are many offers available depending on time, day of the week and which particular credit card you pay with.

All the above three offer fine seafood, salads, Thai dishes, roasts including wonderful hams.

It's kind of funny. Every time one of us posts about one of the reasonably priced buffets, we always tend to mention the per person price.

But most every time someone posts on one of the various very costly hotel buffets, they almost NEVER mention the price, any price.

Why is that, I wonder???

I don't have any problem with 1000-2000 baht per person hotel buffets or the folks who enjoy them. But if you're going to recommend them here, at least include the actual pricing!

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

For a very reasonable and decent quality buffet - I like Gustoso in Central World.   It's not the luxury buffet as in the 5* hotels (and it's a much lower price than a hotel), but it's still good quality, and includes sushi with salmon, a range of Thai dishes, pasta, pizza, cooking stations, soft drinks and deserts.  It's run by the same people who operate the Pomodoro Italian restaurants.  There's a time limit, but if you are organized you can still eat yourself to a standstill!

I've been a few times, but can't remember the price, although I think it's around 400 THB?

25 minutes ago, Kinnock said:

For a very reasonable and decent quality buffet - I like Gustoso in Central World.   It's not the luxury buffet as in the 5* hotels (and it's a much lower price than a hotel), but it's still good quality, and includes sushi with salmon, a range of Thai dishes, pasta, pizza, cooking stations, soft drinks and deserts.  It's run by the same people who operate the Pomodoro Italian restaurants.  There's a time limit, but if you are organized you can still eat yourself to a standstill!

I've been a few times, but can't remember the price, although I think it's around 400 THB?

I've tried it, and it strikes me as kind of the Italian version of the bland, Thai-style Sukishi buffets here. As in, OK, but pretty "blah."

For a similar price, I'd say the Grand Majestic, S31, Holiday Inn Chidlom lunch buffets all are better options.

On 28/2/2560 at 3:54 PM, possum1931 said:

There is no way I would pay 1000 Bt to feed one person even if I was a millionaire. What is the profit margin in that?

The human stomach can only take so much.

They call me a Bindipper, but even I am not as tight as you.

7 hours ago, KittenKong said:

I have. It's very good for the price though a slightly unusual mixture of Indian and "international" with the international selection being limited to a few uninspiring salads and cheeses and desserts. But that's not what you go there for and the Indian part is fine.

It's Sunday brunch only. Add 500B for free-flow drinks.

Have you been to Indus?  How does it compare to there?  I enjoy the food at the Indus buffet a lot although I find it a bit too heavy on the cream and salt in several of the dishes.  I went once to look at the menu at Maya but didn't actually find it that inspiring, very nice restaurant, book style swanky menus but what struck me was not much by way of variety and, at the end of the day, nothing that struck me as "Oooh, gotta try that".  So I ended up going to Indus again instead (this was evening weekday - not buffet day).

Another Holiday Inn in BKK, this one at the corner of Suk Road and Soi 22 between Asok and Phrom Phong BTS, also has a pretty good lunch and dinner buffet offering. But it's really only price/value competitive if you use the Eatigo 50% off discount that usually can be applied at dinner time, and often at lunch time too.

It's a square deal and a good meal value, at the 50% off rate, plus ++.  But I wouldn't say it's worth it, if one was going to pay full price, not for the good, but not great, food that's on offer.

PS1383.jpg

1 hour ago, RAZZELL said:

There's some great information on here:

http://www.gourmetbangkok.com/

If the "Outlaws" are normal Thai people you are probably wasting your time and money.

However, if like most Thaivisa posters the "In-Laws" are  Phd holding Hi-So Chula grads try the J W Marriott :smile:

On a visit sometime back, the wife and I took her visiting family to the all-you-can-eat Best Beef buffet out by On Nut BTS. The MIL nearly cleaned them out of their shrimp stocks. Never seen one person eat so many shrimp in one sitting! :ohmy:

The inlaws loved the place, as most Thais seem to (as well as the wife and myself). Not fancy, but a good meal and feed nonetheless.

Hi Tall Guy in Krunthep,

I actually stated that the cost was between 500 baht and 1,500 baht.

I sincerely apologise for not making the cost more apparent.

Anyway with all these fine establishments you can get some really really great deals.

Some of the credit card companies offer buy 1, get 1 free on certain days.

This means you can enjoy crab, lobster, somtam, curries, roasts, salads and desserts for around 1,500 baht for two!

Desserts include Creme Brûlée, Tarte a Raspberry, Lemon Meringue Pie etc etc.

So, if you enjoy good food, it is not expensive [emoji39]

16 hours ago, SooKee said:

Have you been to Indus?  How does it compare to there?

No, I haven't been there, sorry. I thought the dishes in the Maya buffet were very good. Not at all cheaply done and with delicate and individual flavours. And the view is an added bonus. I would not hesitate to go back there any Sunday. I would be less likely to go on other days as I much prefer a buffet to ordering from the menu as that way I can pick and choose and have tasters of many more different things. An exception in an Indian place might be a Thali or a set menu.

All the places I go to in Bangkok are between 500B and 1500B, and some include drinks. Various discounts are available and I always take advantage of them.

On 3/2/2017 at 10:04 PM, TommyTucker said:

Mandarin Oriental
So Sofitel Sathorn

Re your post immediately above, I'm thinking none of these three places you mentioned previously have list/standard buffet prices of 500 per person.

And I'd be surprised if more than one of three could even come out at 500 per person if you had a 2 for the price of 1 special with some Thai credit card promotion.

The other issue about Thai credit card promotions is those, and the credit cards, are typically only available to those with work permits and jobs here, and not to those who are retired, because of the policies enforced by the Thai credit card companies (unless you want to put down a sizeable fixed bank deposit as guarantee against the CC). So those aren't particularly inclusive kinds of discounts, generally speaking.

At least at some place like the Huntsman Pub at the Landmark Hotel and their Sat-Sun roast buffet, they have an ongoing "come 4, pay 2" promotion that anyone can take advantage of -- no special credit card required. Unfortunately, they don't also offer a "come 2, pay 1" promotion in the same way. (Though the Landmark does also participate in the various Thai credit card promotions and also have their own paid-membership discounts program).

1 hour ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Re your post immediately above, I'm thinking none of these three places you mentioned previously have list/standard buffet prices of 500 per person.

And I'd be surprised if more than one of three could even come out at 500 per person if you had a 2 for the price of 1 special with some Thai credit card promotion.

The other issue about Thai credit card promotions is those, and the credit cards, are typically only available to those with work permits and jobs here, and not to those who are retired, because of the policies enforced by the Thai credit card companies (unless you want to put down a sizeable fixed bank deposit as guarantee against the CC). So those aren't particularly inclusive kinds of discounts, generally speaking.

At least at some place like the Huntsman Pub at the Landmark Hotel and their Sat-Sun roast buffet, they have an ongoing "come 4, pay 2" promotion that anyone can take advantage of -- no special credit card required. Unfortunately, they don't also offer a "come 2, pay 1" promotion in the same way. (Though the Landmark does also participate in the various Thai credit card promotions and also have their own paid-membership discounts program).

Then we must schedule a small "Thai Visa Piss-up" at the Huntsman (never been to the Sunday roast buffet there, but heard of it frequently) to form a "come 4 pay 2" party  ;-)

1 hour ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Try the eatigo app.  I've seen discounts up to 70% off lunch buffets at the better hotels in Bangkok.  Great deals.

On 3/2/2017 at 10:04 PM, TommyTucker said:

Mandarin Oriental
So Sofitel Sathorn.

Kind of as I suspected, in looking at Eatigo, the only one of these three that appears to have Eatigo promotions on their regular lunch buffets is So Sofitel.

According to the Eatigo app, the So Sofitel's Red Oven eatery has a regular lunch buffet of 900 baht pp Mon to Fri., and then that goes to 1600 pp for brunch on the weekends. Looks like you can get a 25 to 50% discount off the list price for the weekday lunch buffet, depending on the time you select, so that would make 450 baht pp possible if you go toward the end of the lunch buffet hours.

Mandarin Oriental wasn't listed at all with Eatigo, not surprisingly.

Last, the Anantara appears to have Eatigo discounts on their Italian, Japanese and steak a la carte eateries, but I'm not seeing anything for their buffet. And in fact, in calling the Anantara, the duty manager there told me that NONE of their restaurants actually offer a weekday lunch buffet. But added that they do have a weekend brunch buffet for 2999b pp++. I wasn't sure I heard her correct, so I asked her to repeat, and she confirmed, 2999b++ per person.

1 minute ago, craigt3365 said:

Try the eatigo app.  I've seen discounts up to 70% off lunch buffets at the better hotels in Bangkok.  Great deals.

I've posted about Eatigo several times above here in this thread, and use it all the time. But I don't recall them ever offering anything beyond 50%.

5 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I've posted about Eatigo several times above here in this thread, and use it all the time. But I don't recall them ever offering anything beyond 50%.

Sorry!  I missed that.  I got 50% a few weeks ago.  Went with a group of 8 people.

41 minutes ago, siam2007 said:

Then we must schedule a small "Thai Visa Piss-up" at the Huntsman (never been to the Sunday roast buffet there, but heard of it frequently) to form a "come 4 pay 2" party  ;-)

I think the food there is quite good, and a pretty wide selection of regular western entrees -- and not so heavy on the Thai and/or Indian dishes like some of the more modestly priced buffets at other places. I think the regular price is 850b++ per person, so the come 4, pay 2 deal makes it quite good from a price/value point of view. Unfortunately, the wife and I only make 2, not 4!

Also, on a related matter, I just saw a Facebook ad the other day that has the Huntsman offering PINTS of local beers Sun to Thurs during their 3-9 pm happy hour period for 99 baht++ per, which likewise, seems a very good deal. But isn't avail on Sat's for their roast buffet, and not for most of their roast buffet period on Sundays. But just as a standalone offer, it's pretty good -- assuming there's a local beer you can stomach. :burp:

PS1382.jpg

On ‎28‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 3:54 PM, possum1931 said:

There is no way I would pay 1000 Bt to feed one person even if I was a millionaire. What is the profit margin in that?

The human stomach can only take so much.

That's a shame because I was going to suggest 27 Bites at the Radisson Blue on Sukhumvit. We often go to their buffet for dinner and if we book via the eatigo app, mentioned by tallguyjohn, it's a tad under 950 Baht, including tax and service, and that includes free flow wine or beer. 

Just now, theoldgit said:

That's a shame because I was going to suggest 27 Bites at the Radisson Blue on Sukhumvit. We often go to their buffet for dinner and if we book via the eatigo app, mentioned by tallguyjohn, it's a tad under 950 Baht, including tax and service, and that includes free flow wine or beer. 

Ya, I haven't tried that particular eatery yet. But if they're throwing in free flow beer and wine for the price, that adds considerably to the value. Most places, to add that kind of drink promotion, usually tack on an extra 500b or more onto the regular food price.

9 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

I'm on eatigo right now.  50% off at most of the buffets they list.

Yep, it just varies by place. Some, you can get a 50% discount almost any time when they're offering something. Others, lesser discounts during their main hours, and the higher 50% off rates only toward the end of a lunch or dinner serving period.

3 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Yep, it just varies by place. Some, you can get a 50% discount almost any time when they're offering something. Others, lesser discounts during their main hours, and the higher 50% off rates only toward the end of a lunch or dinner serving period.

I think we did 1:30 the other day.  My friend likes the later ones as he fills up and then doesn't need much for dinner! LOL