TAT talks with Japanese, Korean airlines on luring ‘quality tourists’

webfact

TAT talks with Japanese, Korean airlines on luring ‘quality tourists’
By SUCHAT SRITAMA
THE NATION

BANGKOK: -- The Tourism Authority of Thailand is planning to work with airlines in  Japan and South Korea to help beckon “quality tourists” to the Kingdom.

TAT governor Yuthasak Supasorn said it would hold discussions with Japan Airlines and All Nippon Airways in Japan and Asiana Airlines and Korean Air in South Korea and ask these premium airlines to help encourage tourists to visit Thailand, especially to new destinations being promoted.

“Japan and South Korea are important markets for Thailand, but many tourists are unable to travel to Thailand during peak season because of a shortage of available seats,” Yuthasak said.

“As these airlines are premium carriers, they should [be able to bring in] more quality tourists or high spenders from Japan and South Korea.” 

Full story: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/business/EconomyAndTourism/30307416

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-02-28

If you want to attract a higher caliber of tourist be prepared to offer better services.  Hawaii had long, long lines at immigration until the tourist industry complained loud and clear about the effect it had on its third major industry.  While not perfect waiting times have been  greatly reduced. 

Attitude is also a big plus if you want repeat visitors.  Many government agencies in Hawaii make their workers attend "aloha classes" to remind them that politeness goes a long way.   Tourist tell me that one of the best things they like about Hawaii is the friendliness of the people.

If you want to attract a higher caliber of tourist be prepared to offer better services.  Hawaii had long, long lines at immigration until the tourist industry complained loud and clear about the effect it had on its third major industry.  While not perfect waiting times have been  greatly reduced. 
Attitude is also a big plus if you want repeat visitors.  Many government agencies in Hawaii make their workers attend "aloha classes" to remind them that politeness goes a long way.   Tourist tell me that one of the best things they like about Hawaii is the friendliness of the people.

Must have changed since the 90s then? We specifically cut our holiday short there as found the people in general off. Visited the four main islands and got off the beaten path etc. Stunning place but didn't feel welcomed at all by the locals... found mainland States far friendlier believe it or not.

Of the quality tourists line to here, whatever one is, I don't think Thailand is worthy.

Hawaii tourism is 99 percent usa citizens. 

Thai tourism is 99 percent foreign.

Thailand tourism has been mostly budget .

The only thing i see big spenders doing here is driving up hotel prices.

Food and easy sex is thailands best lure. Thai food is cheap.

If you have money why come to thailand?

Hawaii would be 100 times a better holiday for big spenders.,so would any european destination.

Thailand is 30 years away from being a high dollar tourism location.

Just don´t get this! Luring quality tourists???
I thought they were the ones with money that made up their mind where to go based on quality. You just can´t lure quality!

A good advice is: Up to, and meet the, standards. After that things gets automatic.

1 hour ago, quadperfect said:

Hawaii would be 100 times a better holiday for big spenders.,so would any european destination.

Actually Thailand just gets worse and worse, not better. Koh Samui was great when I visited in '87. Phi Phi Island is inherently beautiful but you have to listen to noisy water taxis until midnight. Not my idea of a South Pacific-like island paradise.

Dave,  sorry about your bad experience in Hawaii.  I understand your disappointment.  Maybe the rude people you met were sovereignty activists who want to restore the monarchy.  Although my family is local my sons and I were approached by these activists on a fishing trip to a remote area. After receiving threats to leave I told them I would call the police and they left us alone.

Before I retired, I built many homes for native Hawaiians under a government subsidized program.  Mostly elderly folk.  No problems, no complaints.  It seems the younger generation have been misled by a few militant leaders who blame outsiders for all their problems.

TAT, needs to wake up,Thailand is not a major destination for quality tourists,who wants

to spend a couple of hours trying to get out of the airport,then stand a good chance of

been scammed before they reach their hotel.

If  TAT wants to attract quality tourists,the country needs a good clean up first,and

a change in the attitude of people who work in the tourist industry,who view tourists

as easy prey,OK so that's not the view of everyone,but it's prevalent,also changes might 

just be too big a problem ,as over the years nothing has been done to curb the scams,

it has never  been taken really seriously.

regards worgeordie           P.S. How good are quality tourists I think TAT means rich, less of their spending money actually trickles down to the general  

population, i would think most of their time would be spent in their 5 star International owned resorts or hotels,

Edited by worgeordie
add on

29 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

How good are quality tourists I think TAT means rich, less of their spending money actually trickles down to the general  

population, i would think most of their time would be spent in their 5 star International owned resorts or hotels,

I think that's the plan less trickle down ( especially those despicable north easterners) and more into resorts owned by ?

2 hours ago, quadperfect said:

About 15-20 years ago Hawaii changed the direction of their tourist industry and started going after the high end Japanese tourist. And now most middle class American simply can not afford a Hawaii vacation. Even many long term residents are leaving because of the cost of living. High end tourism is a two edge sword. Yes you are making more money from your tourist industry. But the cost of living will go up accordingly

3 hours ago, PatOngo said:

If luring fails they may want to try snaring tourists.

LOL!!! You mean using this (pic below). May I suggest, that we be a bit of a sport and remove the barbs first? I like to give the fish a fair chance and it also makes it easier to remove the hook after you've landed the catch.

000105455_original_1024x1024.jpg

9 minutes ago, Eligius said:

When I see them using this phrase, 'luring tourists' I always want to add: 'to their doom'!

As another poster mentioned in another thread, very poor choice of word. Don't understand why they cannot use the word 'attract'.

21 minutes ago, outsider said:

LOL!!! You mean using this (pic below). May I suggest, that we be a bit of a sport and remove the barbs first? I like to give the fish a fair chance and it also makes it easier to remove the hook after you've landed the catch.

That's a hook, bit of a give away, this is a lure

2Deadly-group2-copy-3306-700x481.jpg

Edited by PatOngo

11 minutes ago, PatOngo said:

That's a hook, bit of a give away, this is a lure

2Deadly-group2-copy-3306-700x481.jpg

Haha... yes, yes I actually have this lure, but in a different colour scheme. By the way, I was refering to your subsequent statement 'if luring fails... try snaring tourists', hence the use of a simple three-pronged hook... LOL

52 minutes ago, honoluludave said:

About 15-20 years ago Hawaii changed the direction of their tourist industry and started going after the high end Japanese tourist. And now most middle class American simply can not afford a Hawaii vacation. Even many long term residents are leaving because of the cost of living. High end tourism is a two edge sword. Yes you are making more money from your tourist industry. But the cost of living will go up accordingly

Unfortunately you are correct.  To afford a vacation in Hawaii many are patronizing the B&Bs that are popping up all over Hawaii.  Spiraling land values have helped contribute to the high cost of living.  I deeded one of my homes to  my  youngest  son because I  know he loves Hawaii and its unique lifestyle.  Also my granddaughters just adore my Thai wife who works at a 5-star resort.  She just loves Hawaii and has adapted very well to local culture.

Yes, Hawaii is expensive, but we would not live anywhere else.