Excise tax chief assures new alcoholic law will be fairer for business operators and consumers

webfact

1 hour ago, Patanawet said:

I suppose there are no Boots Home Brewing Kits in the local branches.

Sadly not and not the sort of thing you could bring back with you, however I was looking at those 25 litre drinking water holders and reckon an air lock could be made to work if you wanted to brew a local medicine that would help you sleep.

There are also plenty of suitable plastic bins for the making of the traditional British ale, muslin cloth is sold here, not seen any pressure barrels so would need suitable bottles, then its just a case of the ingredients, malted barley wort being the stumper so some work need to be done in this area. 

As the PM here wants old traditions to be maintained, I too wants to maintain my British traditions in the same way, these old ways must be kept alive and handed on to the next generations.

Now if you would stand...we will now sing "Jerusalem"

Amen.

He said he couldn’t say how much the exact rates would be as this would be fixed again but assured that the new rates wouldn’t be higher than the existing rates.

So does this mean there will be no change or will the new rates be lower.....if they are not going to be higher than the existing rates.

What a load of utter pish!!

Thats given me a headache trying to decipher that mumbo jumbo!!!

Edited by LennyW

By business operators I'm fairly sure this doesn't mean your local mum and pop shop. 

On 2/28/2017 at 2:36 PM, webfact said:

He said the Excise Department will adhere to the government’s policy that advised that the new tax structure must not affect the burden of business operators and consumers.

Ah this is as clear as mud. We're going to increase the price but consumers must not be affected. Surely an increase in price will affect consumers. Consumers buy less this affects business. Wait a minute......this sounds like logic......in Thailand........:cheesy: If as speculated above a doubling of price would see a bottle of Leo at around bt110.  Depending where you buy, a can will be almost Bt80. Insanity at the highest levels.

5 hours ago, 55Jay said:

What was it, about 2 years ago now, tax on cigarettes and beer/booze was increased and domestic beer cans and bottles got smaller by 10ml?  Certainly seems to be a long term, plan carried out incrementally to reduce level and duration of public backlash. 

I  only noticed recently that large beer bottles are 620ml now. When did that happen? I recall the reduction from 640 to 630ml but not the reduction to 620ml.

16 minutes ago, SunsetT said:

I  only noticed recently that large beer bottles are 620ml now. When did that happen? I recall the reduction from 640 to 630ml but not the reduction to 620ml.

Only once in my time here, which is a little over 4 years.  Think the fags went up about 2 years ago.  Beer price and reduction in container size was about a year ago.... something like that, it's all a blur now.

Thai greed in both the public and private sectors is well on its way to crippling Thailand's tourist industry already.... Keep going but don't cry later!!!

Reminds me of the saying about, "letting your alligator mouth eat up your canay ass".

not only the volume reduced but the alcohol content reduced to 5% and the price increased too !

On 2/28/2017 at 3:45 PM, TVGerry said:

Governments, taxes. Fairer? Come on!

Bring back a quote a friend of mine used to use.

"You have two things in this world, taxation and corruption.

With taxation you have no say on how much you pay and where it goes, but with corruption you know exactly how much you pay and know for sure where it goes".

15 hours ago, johng said:

not only the volume reduced but the alcohol content reduced to 5% and the price increased too !

Ive no problem with the alcohol content reduction. In fact I really like the new  'Singha Lite' beer which is only 3.5 or 3.6%. The problem is that hardly anyone is selling it. If the government wants to get Thais, especially drivers, to consume less alcohol, they should make it compulsory for 'Lite' beer to be offered everywhere, backed up by a TV advertising campaign.

The latest  'Chang Classic' is delicious but still too strong for me. I reckon when they introduced it they changed the  bottle   and label but the alcohol content remained at over 6% even though it was declared to have been reduced to 5%. Its effect is always stronger than the other 5% beers. I have recently noticed that the label now declares it to be 5.2% acknowledging it to be stronger.

Ive no problem with the alcohol content reduction. In fact I really like the new  'Singha Lite' beer which is only 3.5 or 3.6%. The problem is that hardly anyone is selling it. If the government wants to get Thais, especially drivers, to consume less alcohol, they should make it compulsory for 'Lite' beer to be offered everywhere, backed up by a TV advertising campaign.

The latest  'Chang Classic' is delicious but still too strong for me. I reckon when they introduced it they changed the  bottle   and label but the alcohol content remained at over 6% even though it was declared to have been reduced to 5%. Its effect is always stronger than the other 5% beers. I have recently noticed that the label now declares it to be 5.2% acknowledging it to be stronger.

I'll take your word on the alcohol % - after my customary 3 bottles on a Friday evening my eyes go wobbly and won't focus on the small print.
.:):)

The beer industry is lining pockets of the BiB; the recent case though was an "honest" mistake where the big wig ticked the wrong box. 
The legislative is the army and they make the laws at the moment. I cannot get rid of the stale taste, that it is a battle between the non-sharing BiB and the army hence the BiBs are getting screwed with killing their non-receiptable revenues. There cannot be any other reason for such an idiocy as such a move will kill the majority of F&B businesses for sure - the writing is on the wall!