2 Yr to 5 yr Driver's Licence Renewal 2017 Info

Hi, has anyone upgraded their 2 year car drivers licence to a 5 year one this year? If so please post the required paperwork, health checks and required photos if possible. I know the laws regarding this have changed a few times over the last two years or so.

I'd appreciate any current info on this.

Many thanks in advance! 

2 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Rules for other DLT offices maybe different so best to go the DLT you got your 2 year one from and ask them.

Ok, thanks. Can you go to any office? I did mine while on holiday and would rather not go all the way there. 

1 minute ago, Covertjay said:

Ok, thanks. Can you go to any office? I did mine while on holiday and would rather not go all the way there. 

No  !!  You go to the DLT that covers the address you live at, if you have tourist visa you will get another 2 year DL.

1 minute ago, Kwasaki said:

No  !!  You go to the DLT that covers the address you live at, if you have tourist visa you will get another 2 year DL.

Great, had a WP for ages so just looking to upgrade to the 5 year DL. 

• 2 weeks later...

In case anyone is wondering, for renewal of Thai drivers licence from 2 year to 5 year in Bangkok and surrounding provinces (as of yesterday) you need:

A 100 baht basic health check.

Work permit original and copy.

Passport original and copy.

You need to do the colour blind test, reaction test and peripheral vision test again. No written/computer test.

Takes 2 hours and costs 615 baht. Go at 8.00 am if you can or it could take up to 3 hours. Longer if they go to lunch.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

5 hours ago, Covertjay said:

In case anyone is wondering, for renewal of Thai drivers licence from 2 year to 5 year in Bangkok and surrounding provinces (as of yesterday) you need:

You need to do the colour blind test, reaction test and peripheral vision test again. No written/computer test.

Takes 2 hours and costs 615 baht. Go at 8.00 am if you can or it could take up to 3 hours. Longer if they go to lunch.

Tough if you are retired then and only have the 2 year licence ...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Covertjay said:

In stead of the workpermit also residence certificate or yellow housebook are accepted.

• Like 2

This was my experience today.

I'm on a non-O visa without employment so no work permit therefore I was sent off to get a form stamped at my local immigration office (Roi Et).

Added an extra 30 minutes onto the process so no big deal.

The traffic office then took a copy of my passport.

I also had to do the colour-blind test, reaction test and depth perception test.  There was no written/computer test.

No health form required.

Then had to watch a one-hour safety video in Thai. :saai:

Total cost for a car and motorbike licence was 1160baht.

However, they also insisted that I had to wear LONG trousers. :post-4641-1156693976:

As we all know,  individual traffic offices interpret the same rules in different ways and this was my experience in one location which may or may not be the case elsewhere.

To finish on a good point, my previous 5-year license had expired the day before my visit so my new '5-year' license is actually valid for SIX years!

:partytime2:

I read on another thread that this had occurred elsewhere so I deliberately went after my license had expired to see if I would achieve a similar benefit.

• Like 1

On 15.3.2017 at 1:02 PM, marty147 said:

However, they also insisted that I had to wear LONG trousers. :post-4641-1156693976:

Yes that is the norm when you go to some "goverment office" You find that strange?? That might explain the overprice they took for your licences....  

• Like 2

On 3/15/2017 at 7:02 PM, marty147 said:

I'm on a non-O visa without employment so no work permit therefore I was sent off to get a form stamped at my local immigration office (Roi Et).

I also had to do the colour-blind test, reaction test and depth perception test.  There was no written/computer test.

No health form required.

As we all know,  individual traffic offices interpret the same rules in different ways and this was my experience in one location which may or may not be the case elsewhere.

To finish on a good point, my previous 5-year license had expired the day before my visit so my new '5-year' license is actually valid for SIX years!

I read on another thread that this had occurred elsewhere so I deliberately went after my license had expired to see if I would achieve a similar benefit.

Yep, go AFTER your birthday with long troooooosers, no flip flops and a smile....If you can't manage the smile just tell your bird to tell them you have an affliction....:thumbsup:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/15/2017 at 7:02 PM, marty147 said:

No health form required.

My 5-year license (with an O-A retirement visa) is coming up for renewal soon so thanks for the advice. Question - what was the Immigration form you needed stamped? It may have been a 30-min wait in Roi Et but sounds like a half-a-dayer at Chaeng Wattana. But, thanks again.

1 hour ago, bill1369 said:

My 5-year license (with an O-A retirement visa) is coming up for renewal soon so thanks for the advice. Question - what was the Immigration form you needed stamped? It may have been a 30-min wait in Roi Et but sounds like a half-a-dayer at Chaeng Wattana. But, thanks again.

The form was in Thai. 

It was given to me after I stated that I had neither a work permit nor a house book so it could have been related to either, both or neither of these issues. :wacko:

Who am I to question Thai bureaucracy?  :smile:

As soon as I presented it at the immigration office, they immediately knew what it was and took all of five minutes to sign and stamp it (no charge).

I happily took it back and presented it at the traffic office, oblivious to what it said.  :blink:

• Like 1

• 11 months later...
36 minutes ago, MrPatrickThai said:

Is there any penalty if you're 4 months late. This is my 4th time renewing the 5 year one.

No. Within the first year after expiry there is no penalty.

The DLT website is still quite confusing, but the "REMARK" 1 and 2 show that only after one year there is extra effort.

https://www.dlt.go.th/en/two-year-license/

I will do my renewal on March 13, one day after expiry to get the most out of it.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

No. Within the first year after expiry there is no penalty.

The DLT website is still quite confusing, but the "REMARK" 1 and 2 show that only after one year there is extra effort.

https://www.dlt.go.th/en/two-year-license/

I will do my renewal on March 13, one day after expiry to get the most out of it.

Thanks, do you know if the Pink Non-Thai ID car is proof of address? I have a WP but that shows my work's address.

2 hours ago, MrPatrickThai said:

Thanks, do you know if the Pink Non-Thai ID car is proof of address? I have a WP but that shows my work's address.

Unfortunately I can not tell for sure.

The DLT offices seem to handle it inconsistent.

If you have a pink card you should also have a yellow book?

The yellow book is sufficient at my DLT office (in KK province).

But from reports it seems Pattaya does not accept.

On the other hand the address on the license is not that big of an issue.

It is never accepted as proof of address.

Just that tickets might be sent to your work address :smile:

Edited by KhunBENQ

25 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Unfortunately I can not tell for sure.

The DLT offices seem to handle it inconsistent.

If you have a pink card you should also have a yellow book?

The yellow book is sufficient at my DLT office (in KK province).

But from reports it seems Pattaya does not accept.

On the other hand the address on the license is not that big of an issue.

It is never accepted as proof of address.

Just that tickets might be sent to your work address :smile:

Yeah the thing is my yellow book is in another province.

21 hours ago, MrPatrickThai said:

Normally no.

Pink ID card is proof of identity, just as ID card is for Thais. For proof of address they need a tambien baan.

You have a workpermit, so use it, I would not care about the address.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Will revive this thread as I am close to renewing my 2 year license to a 5 year license.

Do I need to do this at the office where I got my 2 year license? Or can I just do it in any DLT office?

Got mine in Nakorn Pathom but I moved closer to Bangkok now..

A valid work permit has your address in it, often printed in the back pages. You can use this as proof of address because a work permit is an official government document. It can also be used for the purchase and sale of vehicles and opening bank accounts. 

• 4 weeks later...

I'm hoping to renew my 5-year motorcycle licence tomorrow
can someone confirm the latest info on this?
I have my passport (and copy), my work permit (and copy) but I don't have

a health check document AND my current licence expired on Sept 1 (1 week ago)
do you know if I'll have a problem with these at Bang Chak in Bangkok tomorrow?
and do you know if I'll be required to do the whole test again (someone suggested you don't need to if your current licence only expired recently)
also - is there any rush? I also read the expired licence has a grace period after expiry date? I'm asking cos I had agreed to hire a motorcycle in Pattaya tomorrow but a woman at work said if the police stopped me and found my licence had expired the penalty would be expensive so I cancelled it!
many thanks ?

Edited by pomozki

On 9/6/2018 at 8:33 PM, pomozki said:

I have my passport (and copy), my work permit (and copy) but I don't have

a health check document AND my current licence expired on Sept 1 (1 week ago)
do you know if I'll have a problem with these at Bang Chak in Bangkok tomorrow?
and do you know if I'll be required to do the whole test again (someone suggested you don't need to if your current licence only expired recently)
also - is there any rush? I also read the expired licence has a grace period after expiry date? I'm asking cos I had agreed to hire a motorcycle in Pattaya tomorrow but a woman at work said if the police stopped me and found my licence had expired the penalty would be expensive so I cancelled it!
many thanks ?

I renewed my license about a year ago. I was all prepared with the application form & medical certificate. (I went to Land Transportation at Chatuchak.) When I first arrived, lady at the front desk looked at my passport & and latest visa extension - I forget if I brought a copy. She then gave me a number for the queue - which was about a 4-hour wait. When my number was called, the officer did not want either my application or health certificate. She filled out my data in her computer. I was then sent upstairs to watch a boring movie of about 1-hour duration. Then it was their "practical application" - stepping on a pedal when light turned red, color vision, etc. And that was it - I got my renewal. Sorry if I've left anything out - it was awhile ago. Just be prepared to waste the better part of a day getting license.

• Thanks 1

On 9/6/2018 at 8:33 PM, pomozki said:

1.  I have my passport (and copy), my work permit (and copy)

2.  health check document 

3.  my current licence expired on Sept 1 
4.  do you know if I'll have a problem with these at Bang Chak in Bangkok
5.   do you know if I'll be required to do the whole test again
6.  also - is there any rush?  grace period after expiry date?

1.  Passport & WP fine no problem.

2.  Some DLT's require one some don't.

3.  Renew or risk a fine.

4.  Dunno maybe some here knows most not all DLT's are different.

5.  No !!.. colour blind test maybe, something else depends on the DLT. 

6.  You have up to 1 year before you forfeit and have to re-test.

Edited by Kwasaki

8 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Many people saying on here to wait until 1 day after your birthday to renew ( to get 6 years ) but what if there is 6 months between your license expiry and your birthday ??

As in my case.

What happens if you are stopped with an expired license ??

A fine I guess ??

Once I went 1 day after birthday and got 5 year DL's.

Recently went 7 days after birthday and got 6 years.

Go 6 months after expiry I guess your get 5.1/2 years .

No licence fine is usually 400 baht.

funny when I got my 2 year, I had neither WP nor yellow book, maybe that is where the  form from the US embassy  comes in ...... ?

I have a med certificate from July 2018  , from my US Doctor,  I wonder if I might be allowed to use it Dec 2018 for renewal ?  I guess for 100 B, might as well get a new one ,  is there any medical clinic  near the DLT  @ Bang Chak or

Phom Phrong or so that one can recommend?