Bringing my girlfriend to America

I am moving back to the US soon for work. I've been dating my girlfriend for around a year now and I would very much like to continue dating her; I'm wondering about the best way to go about this though. She has traveled abroad and worked abroad before, has the funds necessary (I've been told the US embassy wants you to have around 100k for a tourist visa), but she doesn't own any property here in her own name (something else I'm told they like to see).

So... should we start with just having her apply for a tourist visa and traveling with me? What about a working visa? I believe I could get her a job fairly easily but I'm not too sure on US working laws and regulations for non-citizens. What are my options, and what is the best chance of getting her approved to come with me?

From what I know, it is very difficult to get a work visa in the US. More info on work visas: https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/employment/temporary.html#overview

What about an English language school? There are usually a couple schools in most major US cities that can help with the student visa process. Most language schools are more affordable than university tuition.

• Like 1

I took my gf to the states last summer. She got a 10 year visa without 100,000 in the bank. I don't have a clue if it helped but I wrote a letter stating that I was paying for the trip and that we were going to visit my family, etc. She is a nurse with a Bachelors degree and has been at the same private hospital for 14 years. Her opinion is that her job and her attitude were what got her the visa. Agin, I have no clue but I do know they are very suspicious and know of many women with iffy english and less serious jobs that have been refused.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gtto said:

I took my gf to the states last summer. She got a 10 year visa without 100,000 in the bank. I don't have a clue if it helped but I wrote a letter stating that I was paying for the trip and that we were going to visit my family, etc. She is a nurse with a Bachelors degree and has been at the same private hospital for 14 years. Her opinion is that her job and her attitude were what got her the visa. Agin, I have no clue but I do know they are very suspicious and know of many women with iffy english and less serious jobs that have been refused.

She was given the 10 year visa because of her work history I had the same situation My girlfriend is with the company 9 years 

So the embassy feels that if someone has a long history of working for the same company/hospital they are a good risk not to stay in the USA and return to

their country She was also visiting family and I also had a letter 

My ex-girlfriend was able to get a visa easily on her first try by enrolling (I set it up) in an English Language class in the US and they helped file the appropriate forms with the embassy as they have many foreign students. I think it helped that she was already enrolled in English classes here in Thailand. Good luck. Oh and she did not have 100,000 in the bank but this was about 10 years ago so maybe the requirements have changed. 

My wife of 4 years was turned down for a tourist visa last year. It seemed like the interview was over when she she/we didn't own a house in Thailand. I expect to get her in next time around. 

I think you'll have a very tough time getting your girl in. Always worth a try. 

Bottom line If I were you I would take everything here as past history.

As has been shown uin the news and mentioned here.

IT IS A BRAND NEW WORLD.  TRUMP is changing the dynamic.  The problems are the number of people that are going to Tthe US and disappearing /working ilegally.

The rules are changing and it may change while you ares applying.

I can tellyou that getting a visa for a gf to go to Canada is like wining the lottery.

The best advice here is go to the Embassy not to any of the businesses that "help" talk face to face with a rep.  Take here and all the paperwork that you have ncluding her passport.

Go there dressed to impress and ask questions nicely and donot get frustrated.  Write everything down 

Then do what they tellyou to do in the next 5 days and go back with everything done.

• Like 2

Good luck you will really need it.  Even before Trump it was tough getting a tourist visa. The only bright spot is she has been abroad and return to Thailand.  One major item they look for is what is here in Thailand that will bring her back.  Forget about dressing up and looking nice from what I hear they no longer allow the U.S. Citizen in the interview room?

You dont loose your girlfreind in thailand.You miss your turn.and yes ,i know you love each other.In the last ten years .I know one case out of hundreds that has worked.She is no beauty queen,works cleaning and cooking in a school.And they are married.You did not say about the back ground of your girlfreind.But if she cannot show that she has money and property to come back to thailand no chance.also qualifications from thailand are looked upon as inferior to western.i know its not what you want to hear.But even if you have to leave her in thailand.And you send her money.She will not cheat on you.but if someone offers her more,she will be gone no matter his age.And she will have customers not boyfreinds,unless some of them are like you.and send her money.then when you come if you are the boyfreind giving the most,You will be together.SAD.But this is the way it is.dont think you are different to the millions before you.If you do love her,Then i feel for you.Make sure you have good freinds about you.Good luck.

Some good and some bad advice here.  I don't think the t rump effect has had any effect on visitors from Thailand. 

It's interesting that two posters have said they have girlfriends who got tourist visas using a letter that they were visiting with the man.  I have read where it's best for the tourist visa seeker to say they know no men in the USA. 

I have had 3 thai women get Visa's to come see me in the last 5 months.  The latest one got her visa 2 weeks ago. 

They all applied on their own and saved the 3,000 baht that a service costs.   

I read where a fiancé visa takes 9 months or so.  Plus you only get 1-2 of those before that bridge is burned. 

Here is where you start.  

https://th.usembassy.gov/visas/nonimmigrant-visas/application-procedures/

Form DS160 is it.  6500 baht is cost non refundable.  

The basic gist is you fill out this form go to a bank pay your application fee then you can schedule an interview within the next few days or week there is no backlog. You must do this in Bangkok or CM embassy locations. The interviewer will say yes or no in the interview and the passport and Visa will come in 2 to 5 days. The embassy is only issuing 10-year visas at this time which gives you six months every year.  My potential women never said they knew any man in the US and I did not write a letter for them. They all owed houses and  or property and had at least 300,000 baht in the bank. They all spoke English above-average. They all have careers and children and family to return to.  Two of the three had history of government employment.  Teacher or nurse careers.  The direction we took was that these women just had a dream to take a USA vacation to see Las Vegas, Hollywood, San Francisco, Golden Gate Bridge, Grand Canyon, xcetra. It can be helpful to say that you will be traveling with another woman friend but traveling solo in the USA as a woman is very common and safe. Assuming decent English. The other idea is to apply for a student visa for an English course.  Getting a work visa is very hard except for nursing or high tech jobs.  because there is such a shortage of nurses.   A good trip length to tell the Visa interviewer is 3 weeks.  Having a detailed iteneary and trip date us good but not always looked at in the interview.  A vacation like this could easily cost a hundred and fifty thousand.

40000 for airfare 5000 per night for hotel. 1500 per day for food. 1500 for car rental or tour buses, taxis.  I would imagine a woman's police record is searched before the interview. 

Good luck.  

PS. I should add that two of the three women had letters from their employers saying that they have the time off. The ages were 39, 43 and 51

Edited by Elkski

7 hours ago, elgordo38 said:

Been there done that only wish you good luck you will need it. She will meet all kinds of coffee guzzling females who are experts on her "legal" rights. It goes downhill one day at a time. She has a lot of rights there married or not. Just telling you to save you from the heartache I endured. Remember the old expression " Never take the girl out of .........."

I feel sorry for you. I have taken two Asian women back to the States and both did very well and neither became the <deleted> (westernized oriental girl) so many farangs fear; yet both had very responsible jobs and were able to contribute to the relationship other than horizontally.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Elkski said:

Some good and some bad advice here.  I don't think the t rump effect has had any effect on visitors from Thailand. 

It's interesting that two posters have said they have girlfriends who got tourist visas using a letter that they were visiting with the man.  I have rats where it's best for the tourist visa seeker to say they know no men in the USA. 

I have had 3 thai women get Visa's to come see me in the last 5 months.  The latest one got her visa 2 weeks ago. 

They all applied on their own and saved the 3,000 baht that a service costs.   

I read where a fiancé visa takes 9 months or so.  Plus you only get 1-2 of those before that bridge is burned. 

Here is where you start.  

https://th.usembassy.gov/visas/nonimmigrant-visas/application-procedures/

Form DS160 is it.  6500 baht is cost non refundable.  

The basic gist is you fill out this form go to a bank pay your application fee then you can schedule an interview within the next few days or week there is no backlog. You must do this in Bangkok or CM embassy locations. The interviewer will say yes or no in the interview and the passport and Visa will come in 2 to 5 days. The embassy is only issuing 10-year visas at this time which gives you six months every year.  My potential women never said they knew any man in the US and I did not write a letter for them. They are on houses and property and had at least 300,000 baht in the bank. They all spoke English above-average. They all have careers and children and family to return to.  Two of the three had history of government employment.  Teacher or nurse careers.  The direction we took was that these women just had a dream to take a USA vacation to see Las Vegas Hollywood San Francisco Golden Gate Bridge Grand Canyon xcetra. It can be helpful to say that you will be traveling with another woman friend but traveling solo in the USA as a woman is very common and safe. The other idea is to apply for a student visa for an English course.  Getting a work visa is very hard except for nursing or high tech jobs.  because there is such a shortage of nurses.   A good trip lengthkto tell the Visa interviewer is 3 weeks.  A vacation like this could easily cost a hundred and fifty thousand.

40000 for airfare 5000 per night for hotel. 1500 per day for food. 1500 for car rental or tour buses, taxis.  I woukd imagine a woman's police record is searched before the interview. 

Good luck.  

i think the guy asking the advice ,has a bar girl.or one that is the same that works in 7/11 restaurants shopping mall etc.Its normal for thais to holiday.But they have to show they have the money.Many dont have money that go on a short holiday to certain countrys.Then return.But depends on country and age and the sponsor.USA and UK are very strict.Even if you are married.Even for a uk person to go austrailia.Can get a visa.But if you arrive without enough funds.They will put you back on a plane.

6 hours ago, hdkane said:

A fiance visa is very easy to obtain...you get 3 months in the USA...if you find that you and she can live happily, then marry in the USA and take it from there...you don't need an attorney and the forms are only 2 pages in length...be sure to be present when she has her visa interview...it makes a difference...

as long as YOU are good to go, she will be too...if you are a felon, getting welfare, had multiple fiance visas in the past, etc etc etc you will have problems, and that is a good thing...

Complete horse <deleted>

9 hours ago, janejira said:

From what I know, it is very difficult to get a work visa in the US. More info on work visas: https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/employment/temporary.html#overview

What about an English language school? There are usually a couple schools in most major US cities that can help with the student visa process. Most language schools are more affordable than university tuition.

One language school in Washington, DC area costs about $650/month with daily classes running from about 9am-3am,

However, if you are a student, you cannot legally work in the USA,

Just hope your gf doesn't bolt, could happen esp. when they have a Green card.

1 hour ago, smotherb said:

I feel sorry for you. I have taken two Asian women back to the States and both did very well and neither became the <deleted> (westernized oriental girl) so many farangs fear; yet both had very responsible jobs and were able to contribute to the relationship other than horizontally.

Happy for you bro mine was from Mexico. They have a saying there never take the Mexican out of Mexico. I was younger stupidier and well Mexican babes are hot to!!

Two of my lady friends have come and left.  They carried 500& 1000 USD cash plus had credit cards. At US customs They were not asked about cash on hand. They both didn't have reservations for the first nights lodging but did have phone numbers of a hotel and return flights.   I have read that a person stay six months and then wants to come back in a few months again it's going to be much harder to get through customs because they are going to wonder how you survived so long what you are doing they really just want to make sure you are a tourist and not working illegally in a restaurant or in the sex industry

• Like 2

9 hours ago, TheFishman1 said:

Think about it a long time Bro. TIT

Weigh your options and listen to people our aim is to help you. From personal experience when it falls apart it hurts. Women are from Venus. I now never surrender my trust fully at any time. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, elgordo38 said:

Happy for you bro mine was from Mexico. They have a saying there never take the Mexican out of Mexico. I was younger stupidier and well Mexican babes are hot to!!

Yeah, they are, but too hairy for my tastes and their bodies rarely recover from childbirth.

7 hours ago, captnhoy said:

I have heard so many variations on the outcome of this that it is mostly like guessing what works and what does not. 4 years ago my GF of 10 years (can you say "common-law"?) did get the 10 yr tourist visa. She could show property but not big money. She also showed a one page summary from me about our relationship and why WE wanted to return to Thailand after a visit of some months. I realize that is not the case for you, just that is what worked for me. Good luck! As a final comment, there are many successful Thai/foreign relationships in North America too. It all depends on the individuals.

Relationships have a 50/50 chance same as marriage. Yes it does depend on the individual. In the end I went back to buying lottery tickets as I liked the odds better and your only out a couple bucks if you loose. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, elgordo38 said:

Been there done that only wish you good luck you will need it. She will meet all kinds of coffee guzzling females who are experts on her "legal" rights. It goes downhill one day at a time. She has a lot of rights there married or not. Just telling you to save you from the heartache I endured. Remember the old expression " Never take the girl out of .........."

Perfect advice!  I was married and this is exactly what happened and she wasn't some young floozy from a bar, she was well into middle age with grown kids, but was "polluted" by the coffee guzzling females she worked with, and I think even the guys.  Live in Thailand with them.  Not that many can adapt well outside of Thailand and it often ends in a disaster.  Getting a work visa here is a huge problem as well, unless you marry her and get a SS number for her, but beware the coffee guzzlers she will meet and the nosy neighbor ladies who will also fill her in on her "legal" rights she will enjoy here.  LEAVE HER THERE MATE!   Your life will be far less stressful.

• Like 1

Basically it's: legitimate job in Thailand, money, property or a combination of all three. They're looking for a reason for the girl to come back to Thailand. Once--or IF, she gets the first visa and then comes back to Thailand the future visas will be easy to obtain.

• Like 1