How do I make cheap mobile call from Thailand to UK please?

I have booked a flight through expedia.co.uk

I need to cancel my flight. I have checked expedia's web page instructions for cancelling flights, but it does not appear to be a flight that I can cancel online. They say that in such circumstances I should phone them (there is no email address).

Their number is +44 20 3024 8211

Someone told me that if I put 009 in front of the above number, including the + sign, it will enable me to make a cheap call from Thailand to UK.

I tried, but my mobile phone would not let me make the call; it simply ended the call straightaway. It is only a cheap phone rather than a smartphone.

Does anyone know if there is a prefix number for cheap calls from Thailand to UK please?

For AIS, you can use 005 but the cheapest prefix is 00500. So 00500442030248211
007, 008 and 009 can be used by all phones.

I can assure you that I use 003, then the U.K. Prefix without the '00'. So: 00344 then the local number in the U.K. And this costs me ฿3 per minute.

Are those you mention cheaper?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect
  • Like 1

Good question !

The best answer depends on your situation: 

If on a short stay of one month or less - get a local sim and use the codes each operator has for making international calls using VoIP - voice over IP - ( internet ) hence cheaper

If you are staying longer and have property in the UK - change to TalkTalk - take their unlimited UK / landline call boost ( 7.50GBP / month ) and install their Talk2go app on your Apple / Android mobile, before you leave the UK   - keeping your UK sim card in the mobile phone in Thailand

Then when you have Wifi in Thailand start the TalkTalk app, do a test call - and you can call landline and UK mobile calls for up to 59 mins and 59 secs for FREE ...

I use it on my travels all over the world  and no need to use +44 - just dial the number as you would at home 

Check your phone company on Internet. I use AIS and tells me 00500 then country code and area code then telephone number and I call international 10-20 call a week.  I think 3-6 baht a minute.  Never think about costs, always seems cheap and for many years use AIS cell/call/text/data

They gave me the 003 number in the shop.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

True network instructions

How to use true 006?
To make premium grade international call via true 006 to fixed line or mobile number all over the world.
Just dial 006 --> Country Code --> City Code --> Local Number
(without the "0" before local number)

Guys,

This app let's you call free or message if the other person has the app regardless where in the world they are as long as you are in a wi fi area. I find it fantastic especially when a lot of UK phone lines use a premium rate number. Lines and reception are usually very good from Thailand.

For cheap international calls to UK, it is 0.67 baht per minute to a landline or 2 baht to a mobile number. To the US it is 0.67 baht or 1.9 cents per minute regardless of mobile or landline. You can use viber from a computer or tablet or i pad or from Android phone or i phone.

https://www.viber.com/en/#android

It's really cheap to use Skype, Buy a few $ of credit and you can get 20 minutes for just a few cents. Its where you call to that matters, not where you call from. it's a lot cheaper to call UK from Thailand than it is to make a call in Thailand to a Thai number

• Like 1

You can call ANY number with Skype. Costs peanuts and the other person won't know you are using Skype, they just get a regular "call" from within their country.

Edit: Not ANY number, just normal local numbers. No "premium" service numbers.

Edited by wump

Good luck trying to get a refund from Expedia!

Took me 7 months but got there in the end, that was the Thailand Expedia. You need to check the T&Cs of the ticket.

I used Skype, and be ready to be put on hold interminably, and generally knocked back several times.

You could also try the  Webpage where there is a feedback / email option.

They were ignoring my direct emails.

• Like 1

One would assume as a tourist you have sufficient funds to make an inexpensive call to the UK ...

Just use the 005  and use AIS .... 

Sounds like you cannot cancel your flight anyway, so you may need to buy a new ticket.

If you have a CAT office near you, buy a CAT phonecard (I think B200/B500), very cheap international calls.  Can also get in 7-11's, but most of them say "no have"

I think CAT to landline line in UK is about 2b/min