Virus protection

Spaniel

33 minutes ago, dddave said:

All the servers are in Eastern Europe and the site is owned by a shadowy Russian.

Surprising.

So far I was convinced that BAIDU is as Chinese as Chinese can be?

Or is that something specific about this app?

5 hours ago, bandito said:

I heard that it is no possible to play games on Linux.

Any thruth to that?

It is if the games you're trying to play on Linux are Windows games...  Unless you want to get into Wine, VMs, etc.

Kaspersky the last five years, before that Eset Nod32, both that Bitdefender, before that Norton. I changed from Norton after they added stuff I didn't want and the program became bloated and resource hungry. I dumped Bitdefender because of an auto subscription renewal system that was hard to get out off. Nod32 I would have stayed with but for issues trying to pay with a Singapore credit card.

But I'm happy with Kaspersky it's easy on resources and effective.

19 hours ago, katana said:

Avast works on Win XP/SP3.

You can try it on SP2. If no go, upgrading to SP3 is not much work.

Can anyone with XP confirm that the last version of Avast free Antivirus (10.2.2215 from march 2015) still works with XP sp2 & get virus def updates ?

On 3/5/2017 at 11:32 AM, KhunBENQ said:

Surprising.

So far I was convinced that BAIDU is as Chinese as Chinese can be?

Or is that something specific about this app?

Duhhh......My bad.  I confused Baidu with the similar sounding dating app: "Badoo"

I've used Panda since roughly 2004 when my Norton was attacked and locked up.  Used a Panda CD from a friend, got my computer running again.  In the contravening years, tried others, including free Avira and recently Kaspersky 30 day trial, but always find my way back to Panda.

About 25 USD for the basic Anti-Virus Pro suite, 1 year,  3 licenses, includes a firewall and Light App for the Android tablets and phones.   On my Windows desktop and laptop, also use free Malwarebytes and Firefox Extensions called Blu-Hell Firewall and QuickJava. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/4/2017 at 8:12 AM, dddave said:

This past month, I had a problem with Windows Update not installing.  Every time I opened my computer, it would start the update download and install, but never complete it.  Finally solved it with a system restore and turning off updates.  I do use Avast AV.  Could this Win 8.1 update problem have anything to do with the Avast broken update you mentioned?

Yes I would avoid Avast, I uninstalled it to only use Windows 10 Defender, and I'm happy with that.

Avast keep having pop ups asking me to download again, I get this every day and I'm sick fed up with it.

Avast is not in my system at all and even the local engineer can't stop it. I wish I could sue the b@stards.

1 hour ago, possum1931 said:

Yes I would avoid Avast, I uninstalled it to only use Windows 10 Defender, and I'm happy with that.

Avast keep having pop ups asking me to download again, I get this every day and I'm sick fed up with it.

Avast is not in my system at all and even the local engineer can't stop it. I wish I could sue the b@stards.

I had the same problem with Avast, they leave stuff behind, even if you use their uninstaller.

look for this file and delete it.

c:\Program Files\Common Files\AV\avast! antivirus\Upgrade.exe

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/4/2017 at 6:14 PM, possum1931 said:

I use Windows Defender, it comes with Windows 10, I am pleased with it.

Which is not enough, please Google it.

I'm using Kaspersky and never had a problem. The Ferrari under the AV programs. 

On 3/23/2017 at 8:19 AM, possum1931 said:

All programs leave traces on your system and a lot of AV programs including the free AVG, AVAST and any other nasty programs can't just be deleted the way it should be.

Please use this tool from AVAST to get rid off all crap: https://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility

( You should do that in safe mode !!)

For those who're sick and tired of Mc.Afee, please see YouTube movie how to uninstall it;

Just to understand how cool Kaspersky is, you can download a Trial version good for 30 days with all tools. It's great. 

Please see: https://me-en.kaspersky.com/downloads/thank-you/antivirus-free-trial

Edited by ajarngreg

26 minutes ago, ajarngreg said:

All programs leave traces on your system and a lot of AV programs including the free AVG, AVAST and any other nasty programs can't just be deleted the way it should be.

Please use this tool from AVAST to get rid off all crap: https://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility

( You should do that in safe mode !!)

For those who're sick and tired of Mc.Afee, please see YouTube movie how to uninstall it;

Just to understand how cool Kaspersky is, you can download a Trial version good for 30 days with all tools. It's great. 

Please see: https://me-en.kaspersky.com/downloads/thank-you/antivirus-free-trial

Thanks a lot, this Avast is driving me crazy with all these pop ups, I will see what I can do about this.

Senario

I have Avast protection on my computer & then went on my sons computer & logged into my Avast account

So since my sons Antivirus was out of date i decided to up grade my Avast anti virus for $9.95 to cover 3 computers

On doing so i noticed it was a discount from $69 

Then i received a code in which i did end up entering but this still tells me that i can do 3 computers

? why would my previous activation code not be required since this was an upgrade for 3 computers

* It also states it can only be used at any one time per computer

* i am hoping i will not be charged for another full Anti Virus purchase for my sons computer

I'm not a computer nerd so i would appreciate any comments thanks

18 hours ago, BEVUP said:

Senario

I have Avast protection on my computer & then went on my sons computer & logged into my Avast account

So since my sons Antivirus was out of date i decided to up grade my Avast anti virus for $9.95 to cover 3 computers

On doing so i noticed it was a discount from $69 

Then i received a code in which i did end up entering but this still tells me that i can do 3 computers

? why would my previous activation code not be required since this was an upgrade for 3 computers

* It also states it can only be used at any one time per computer

* i am hoping i will not be charged for another full Anti Virus purchase for my sons computer

I'm not a computer nerd so i would appreciate any comments thanks

Get away from this shi..y company and look into Kaspersky. 

http://usa.kaspersky.com/products-services/home-computer-security/anti-virus/

Or Total security  https://usa.kaspersky.com/downloads/free-home-trials/total-security/download

( for three devices )

Edited by ajarngreg