Grand Filano vs PCX150

Yes... I know there are a million threads on 'which scooter to buy', and this is why I try to make my life a little easier and start a conversation on a simple topic: should I go for a Grand Filano or a PCX150.

After much research I have isolated these two models (but if anyone, after reading my criteria, wants to suggest an alternative please do so,  but I won't spend more than 80-90k).

Just to clear my head I share this with you, so perhaps someone can help me tip one or the other side.

My criteria:

- The cheaper the better, so the Filano has the edge but I can pay the PCX price if it's worthwhile.

- Mostly used in Bangkok, so it needs to be easily manoeuvrable. I think the Filano has the edge here too, am I right or are they equivalent?

- Want to travel up to 100-200-300km per day on some weekends. I think this point goes to the PCX, but how much of a difference would it make if I had a Filano instead?

- I will always be travelling with a small rucksack, so I think the Grand Filano has a huge advantage as I can put it on the footrest.

- Storage space is welcome for storing a brand new helmet and other things (which of the two wins here?) 

- Consumption relatively important but obviously it matters (which of the two wins here?)

At the moment I am set on the Filano as it has the space between legs (which seems to be a big drawback of the PCX, or am I missing something?) but I would like to be able to travel comfortably with a passenger, will that be much difference from the PCX?

Thanks for helping me decide.

Straydog

We have both in our family. If you are planning on up to a 300 km trips at the weekends I would suggest you look around at something other than these.  But if you must then the PCX would win hands down on power and comfort over any sort of journey.  Understand what you mean by the Filano  having space between the legs but are you really going to have something between your legs for 300 km ?  Get a back box for the PCX and the problem almost solved especially with the extra carrying capacity under the seat.

PCX!

You can put saddlebags and a topbox easily for holidays. 

I hook a rucksack to the handlebars, that sits in the gap nicely.

Long trips are great on a PCX, even two up. All i did was modify the seat to make it level, then it's easy to get seated comfortably. I have ridden to Phongsaly in North Laos, all around North Thailand from Pattaya. Get comfortable, take your time, great for trips!

DSC_0001.JPG

Edited by chrissables

4 hours ago, canerandagio said:

My criteria:

- The cheaper the better, so the Filano has the edge but I can pay the PCX price if it's worthwhile.

- Mostly used in Bangkok, so it needs to be easily manoeuvrable. I think the Filano has the edge here too, am I right or are they equivalent?

- Want to travel up to 100-200-300km per day on some weekends. I think this point goes to the PCX, but how much of a difference would it make if I had a Filano instead?

- I will always be travelling with a small rucksack, so I think the Grand Filano has a huge advantage as I can put it on the footrest.

- Storage space is welcome for storing a brand new helmet and other things (which of the two wins here?) 

- Consumption relatively important but obviously it matters (which of the two wins here?)

Honda wave  or the retro Honda dream  for everything except the 300KM per day   easily doable but maybe not as comfortably as on the sofa PCX.

4 hours ago, whatawonderfulday said:

We have both in our family. If you are planning on up to a 300 km trips at the weekends I would suggest you look around at something other than these.  But if you must then the PCX would win hands down on power and comfort over any sort of journey.  Understand what you mean by the Filano  having space between the legs but are you really going to have something between your legs for 300 km ?  Get a back box for the PCX and the problem almost solved especially with the extra carrying capacity under the seat.

Same same except I wouldn't' contemplate more than 20 km on any 2 wheeler if you have a four wheeler at hand.

imho the best scooter for round town and some long distances is the yamaha Aerox 155 (Sport model).....

its got 15% more power than a PCX, has much wider wheels and tyres (110 front - 140 rear) and a wider cumfier sea - plus gas rear shocks - all of which soak up the bumps and pot holes in a way the pcx could only...

its also more nimble than a PCX - a great bonus round town - and at 66,000 b "out the door" (what i paid) - its well over 20,000 b cheaper than a PCX, plus much much better looking (have you seen the garish orange plastics on the 2017 model pcx's ??) ...

A no brainer in my book.....

Spesifikasi-dan-Harga-Yamaha-Aerox-155-1.jpg

Edited by properperson

5 hours ago, properperson said:

imho the best scooter for round town and some long distances is the yamaha Aerox 155 (Sport model).....

its got 15% more power than a PCX, has much wider wheels and tyres (110 front - 140 rear) and a wider cumfier sea - plus gas rear shocks - all of which soak up the bumps and pot holes in a way the pcx could only...

its also more nimble than a PCX - a great bonus round town - and at 66,000 b "out the door" (what i paid) - its well over 20,000 b cheaper than a PCX, plus much much better looking (have you seen the garish orange plastics on the 2017 model pcx's ??) ...

A no brainer in my book.....

Spesifikasi-dan-Harga-Yamaha-Aerox-155-1.jpg

Yes I agree with you, I have a Black and lime one, really good twist and go

18 minutes ago, GARYZX6R said:

On the front brake,just hope you don't lock up your rear brake.. Not so great..

Do not need to use rear brake hardly ever, even on my race bikes only had thumb brake to prevent wheelies. ABS on rear totally useless.

7 hours ago, MINIMIGLIA said:

Do not need to use rear brake hardly ever, even on my race bikes only had thumb brake to prevent wheelies. ABS on rear totally useless.

99% of people are not able to apply even remotely optimal breaking under emergency situations. ABS can be a tremendous help. Add to that situations like sand/oil on the road and things can get out of hand very very quickly. Sure for an experienced rider ABS might not be needed but imho it should be standard on all bikes and especially scooters which are ridden by many people with questionable skills. In the EU the bikes have to all come with ABS now. I wonder how much it costs to add to a bike, it really can't be so much.

On ‎07‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 4:17 PM, canthai55 said:

Gotta laugh at all these topics - brand X versus PCX. Like little dogs chasing after the Big Dog. 555

Yes I agree with canthai55 and as for good looking, well that Yamaha looks like a hotch potch of bits that got stuck on a frame haphazardly.

15 hours ago, whatawonderfulday said:

Yes I agree with canthai55 and as for good looking, well that Yamaha looks like a hotch potch of bits that got stuck on a frame haphazardly.

I suggest you visit specsavers it looks fantastic

On 3/8/2017 at 7:22 PM, eisfeld said:

99% of people are not able to apply even remotely optimal breaking under emergency situations. ABS can be a tremendous help. Add to that situations like sand/oil on the road and things can get out of hand very very quickly. Sure for an experienced rider ABS might not be needed but imho it should be standard on all bikes and especially scooters which are ridden by many people with questionable skills. In the EU the bikes have to all come with ABS now. I wonder how much it costs to add to a bike, it really can't be so much.

What is "remotely optimal braking"? 

We bought a Filano a couple of months ago and the bike is really great for 50,000baht, it is very good in every way, power/mpg/comfort, except long trips are a bit tedious. We did the Mae Hong Song Loop in 3 days 2-up and it was a little tiring for an old git like me. Then we did a 3 day tour of the Nam mountains and likewise a tad tiring. On both trips we had one day where we did 300km+ in one day albeit in the mountains and was totally shagged that day.

A while ago I took my big bike from Khon Kaen up to Udon Thani on highway 2, my mate was on a PCX 150 and we swapped for a 100 km or so and I was not impressed at all. It looks the part, but is a back buster and isn't good two up, so given the choice between the two, I would go for the Filano.

Actually...I wouldn't go for either for regular 300km long trips, maybe 150km each day and open roads..in which case Filano. These bikes are popular for a reason 50-52k baht for a 125 big arsed scooter.

As for the Aerox 155, never ridden the bike but it does look promising, a little less room than the Filano, but more power and bigger wheels, so that is certainly worth a look. Don't agree about the looks though, a bit same same IMO.

Edited by AllanB

11 hours ago, AllanB said:

We bought a Filano a couple of months ago and the bike is really great for 50,000baht, it is very good in every way, power/mpg/comfort, except long trips are a bit tedious. We did the Mae Hong Song Loop in 3 days 2-up and it was a little tiring for an old git like me. Then we did a 3 day tour of the Nam mountains and likewise a tad tiring. On both trips we had one day where we did 300km+ in one day albeit in the mountains and was totally shagged that day.

A while ago I took my big bike from Khon Kaen up to Udon Thani on highway 2, my mate was on a PCX 150 and we swapped for a 100 km or so and I was not impressed at all. It looks the part, but is a back buster and isn't good two up, so given the choice between the two, I would go for the Filano.

Actually...I wouldn't go for either for regular 300km long trips, maybe 150km each day and open roads..in which case Filano. These bikes are popular for a reason 50-52k baht for a 125 big arsed scooter.

As for the Aerox 155, never ridden the bike but it does look promising, a little less room than the Filano, but more power and bigger wheels, so that is certainly worth a look. Don't agree about the looks though, a bit same same IMO.

Why was the PCX a back buster? Did it still have the stupid little back rest lump in the middle of the seat? If os i would agree no good. But by removing that and leveling the seat with extra foam i found that it is the most comfortable bike i have ever ridden.

Pattaya to Nong Khai in a day, with just a slight shoulder ache. But any bike needs to be comfortable for long trips.

2 hours ago, chrissables said:

Why was the PCX a back buster? Did it still have the stupid little back rest lump in the middle of the seat? If os i would agree no good. But by removing that and leveling the seat with extra foam i found that it is the most comfortable bike i have ever ridden.

Pattaya to Nong Khai in a day, with just a slight shoulder ache. But any bike needs to be comfortable for long trips.

No that lump in the seat was removed when the PCX had a facelift a few years ago....

• 2 weeks later...

All, I thought I would post a follow-up to inform everyone of the situation on the ground here in Bangkok.

I have eventually decided for the PCX150, although it wasn't easy and I still turn my head around when I see a Grand Filano passing by.

The PCX just doesn't fit properly my day bag between my legs and this will make me think of the Filano for a while.

However, the good reviews, the more powerful engine, the good look especially front and back of the PCX, and most of all the idea I have that it will be comfortable to ride long distance made me go the PCX way quite easily.

Now, the latest: the 2017 model comes in four colours, and my idea of having a completely white one had to be abandoned as they only do blue, red, black and white with orange middle in it.

I went for the white with the orange middle, but one day I will see if there is any way to turn it completely white (advice anyone?).

It's virtually impossible to find one from a dealer in BKK now, the waiting list goes from 1 week to 3 months, and I believe that the one week ones are unrealistic.

Prices also vary, from THB91k to THB101k, cash, or more expensive finance options.

I added a topbox in the back (comes white or black) for THB4900 including the mount.

I paid THB92,500 + THB4,900 for topbox. Price includes: Honda jacket, one decent helmet, mandatory insurance and registration.

The shop I used was Yos Charoen in Bang Khae, details on request, very helpful.

Had problems as I am on a tourist visa, and my studio contract wasn't enough to convince them. They asked for a work permit.

So we attempted with a letter from my UK employer, and failing that my thai friend provided her ID card to register the bike in her name. Insurance would cover me.

I will now have to wait a month (was number 24 in the queue).

Ah, as I walked out I decided to purchase a little Domo 115cc as a gift for my friend: THB48000, including registration, insurance, No. 3 helmets and Honda jacket. Why not :)

Thanks all for the advice.

Edited by canerandagio

27 minutes ago, canerandagio said:

Had problems as I am on a tourist visa, and my studio contract wasn't enough to convince them. They asked for a work permit.

So we attempted with a letter from my UK employer, and failing that my thai friend provided her ID card to register the bike in her name. Insurance would cover me.

You need a certificate of residence from immigration, work permit not needed. Get one and get the bike and insurance into your name, you'll be thankful for that later. I assume they didn't register the bike yet as they are waiting for delivery. So there should be still time to make them register it directly in your name.

Are you 100% certain that insurance covers third party riders or was it just something they claimed? What kind of insurance did they sell you?

Also curious as to what helmet you got there as I've never seen any decent helmets at small Honda dealers here.

Anyways, enjoy your ride!

10 hours ago, eisfeld said:

You need a certificate of residence from immigration, work permit not needed.

To buy the bike all you need is money

To register the bike in your name

You need either a "certificate of residence"    a work permit or a yellow house book

"certificate of residence" can be issued by your local immigration office with a tourist visa but they need proof of your address so hotel or condo rental contract.

Edited by johng

Absolutely.  I just came back from Washara Marine having the oil changed on my Nmax 155 and while they were doing it, I went to the main showroom, looked at the big bikes, and also talked to a young salesman.  He owns the Grand Filano.   It will only do 100 kph, if that, which is what I heard from other sources.  He is hoping for the Yamaha 300 X Max to become available in Thailand but he is now thinking, November, not April.  The reason is he can tour Thailand, driving to Koh Chang for example.  I'd much rather drive to Koh Chang in my Honda Civic than any bike.  But this trip is much more doable with the PCX 150 than a Grand Filano, and it's even more doable with the new Yamaha Nmax 155 although if you gotta do it on a bike, it's better to have at least a 300.  But anything short of this long a trip, the PCX 150 can do it all, while the Nmax 155 can do it all even better than the Honda PCX 150.  Even with those (fat) 13 inch tires, the Nmax is even more stable on the highway than the PCX 150, it has the best brakes in the business compared to anything anywhere near this price range (80000 baht), and it has a more powerful engine due to the variable valve timing and four valve head to the PCX's 2 valves.  It also has a lower center of gravity and much more responsive steering.  But at least the PCX and the Nmax are close while the Grand Filano is entirely out of this league entirely.

Edited by jackcorbett

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/23/2017 at 11:38 PM, eisfeld said:

You need a certificate of residence from immigration, work permit not needed. Get one and get the bike and insurance into your name, you'll be thankful for that later. I assume they didn't register the bike yet as they are waiting for delivery. So there should be still time to make them register it directly in your name.

Are you 100% certain that insurance covers third party riders or was it just something they claimed? What kind of insurance did they sell you?

Also curious as to what helmet you got there as I've never seen any decent helmets at small Honda dealers here.

Anyways, enjoy your ride!

A quick update and sorry for the belated reply.

So... my PCX has finally arrived (picture enclosed). I was unable to register it on my name as I am on tourist visa and Chaeng Wattana told me they only issue the certificate of residence if I provide a 90-day police report, which I don't have.

So the bike is not on my name at present but I will get my non-O visa this week, hopefully get the residency certificate and do the ownership transfer.

As for the insurance, I am not 100% sure yet. I did some research and the compulsory insurance that came with the bike covers the driver, the pillion passenger and third parties. It doesn't explicitly say whether the driver can be anyone or only the policy holder (my friend). In any way, coverage is so limited that I will need a proper insurance as soon as I have got the bike registration sorted.

So, here comes my review of the bike for the benefit of those who had the same doubts on which bike to go for.

It has to be said that I stay mostly in Bangkok but I want to use a bike for mid and long haul as well.

It also has to be said that prior to receiving the PCX I had been driving a Scoopy for a week or so, and after that a Grand Filano, rented.

In short, the first day on the PCX I had some doubts... the switch from the Scoopy then FIlano then PCX was taking its tall and I wasn't impressed by its lack of agility.

However, the fact that I had a pillion passenger and it was very hot were having an impact on the enjoyment of the ride.

Now, three days on I am very very pleased with the bike. It's like riding a sofa, as someone said. It's powerful enough, very comfy and agile enough to negotiate BKK traffic.

What I am still coming to terms with is storage space (under the seat it's great, a 39liter box at the rear is very good too), but there are no hooks anywhere and there is no room to hang a helmet at the back and most importantly no room between my feet. (see separate thread for this).

A word of warning, if you buy a top box as part of the bike be aware that you'll get a small (30l?) Givi box, which isn't very capable and has a clunky closing mechanism. I decided not to take it (and forfeited 2500baht deposit) and bought a 39l Shed box from Thai Motor Box which is smart looking, capable and also closes in a much smarter way.

Last point: helmets. The dealer had initially told me that included in the price of the bike were two helmets and one Honda jacket. When I collected the bike the story had changed and only one helmet and the jacket were included (this may have been a misunderstanding in translation through my thai friend).

Since I didn't want to buy their good quality but small helmet, nor I wanted the Honda jacket I got a 500+100 rebate on the price of the bike deal and I bought myself a Yamaha Blue Core for 450 baht (good quality and fits a European head :).

Thanks to all those who contributed for their advice which really led my decision after all.

straydog

Please see my other thread on how I will be customising the bike.

PCX.jpg

Edited by canerandagio