Shrine Bombing Trial Postponed Because Interpreter’s Busy

rooster59

Shrine Bombing Trial Postponed Because Interpreter’s Busy

By Teeranai Charuvastra, Staff Reporter

14492267701449226903l.jpg

Investigators comb the Erawan Shrine for evidence on Aug. 18, the day after a bomb killed 20 people there, mostly tourists.

BANGKOK — The trial for two Uighur men accused of staging Thailand’s worst terror attack was postponed yet again because a court interpreter won’t be available for the next scheduled session, a defense lawyer said Friday.

The next witness examination hearing for the trial of the 2015 bombing was originally set for Monday and Tuesday, four months after the court last convened. But attorney Schoochart Kanpai said he was recently informed by the military court that the Uighur-English interpreter, who’s based in China, was too busy to visit Thailand on those days.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/crimecourtscalamity/courts/2017/03/04/shrine-bombing-trial-postponed-interpreters-busy/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2017-03-04

Why do trials drag on so much here,one unfortunate guy i read about,

spent 10 years in jail,as he did not have bail money,and when he was

found guilty the maximum sentence they could give him was only 3 years,

they had gone threw 3 judges that had died and also several lawyers,

plus witnesses.

regards worgeordie

52 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

So does China, with a 1.3 or 1.4 Billion population only  have one translator?

Seeing as how the Uighur people live in China there are probably quiet a few!

Not sure how many Uighur speakers there would be in other countries. 

3 hours ago, HappyinNE said:

August 2015.  Maybe in that time there could have been an election.  Or maybe Thailand could have trained a bunch of Translators.

Is this or the Temple the biggest joke?

Why on earth would Thailand have trained Urghur translators, and exactly who would have trained them??

I know it's not legal and these guys deserve/have rights to proper legal representation and an interpreter.

But given this is Thailand and Thai courts, I think we all know pretty well where this one is going to end up. Could just as well dispense with the formalities and get on with the show.

BTW, how's the Thai government doing at finding and/or getting any of the other dozen plus suspects in the case returned from the other countries where they're supposedly holed up???  Not hearing any progress on that score for the longest time, so apparently these two guys alone will have to suffice.

And how about whatever happened to the Immigration officers who supposedly accepted payoffs at the land borders to allow the bombing suspects in and out of Thailand at various points.  Don't recall hearing any outcome about what happened to them, either.

Just a small reminder, of a few of those pesky little details that the regular media don't seem willing or interested in pursuing, or even mentioning, when other surface developments occur in cases like this one.

30 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I know it's not legal and these guys deserve/have rights to proper legal representation and an interpreter.

But given this is Thailand and Thai courts, I think we all know pretty well where this one is going to end up. Could just as well dispense with the formalities and get on with the show.

BTW, how's the Thai government doing at finding and/or getting any of the other dozen plus suspects in the case returned from the other countries where they're supposedly holed up???  Not hearing any progress on that score for the longest time, so apparently these two guys alone will have to suffice.

And how about whatever happened to the Immigration officers who supposedly accepted payoffs at the land borders to allow the bombing suspects in and out of Thailand at various points.  Don't recall hearing any outcome about what happened to them, either.

Just a small reminder, of a few of those pesky little details that the regular media don't seem willing or interested in pursuing, or even mentioning, when other surface developments occur in cases like this one.

Gave you a like you ask many outlying questions that deserve answers as well. Here in Thailand to get half a loaf is better than none. When they set up roadblocks for drug dealers they are lucky to catch 1 out 3 or 4. 

2 hours ago, darksidedog said:

They have plenty.

But availability might depend on business contracts.

Who knows?

We barbarians don't understand.

3 hours ago, darksidedog said:

pretty sure they have to use their  own translator to make sure things go smoothly. i thought there was some maximum period they could hold a suspect without trial. if the suspects carried out the bombing and stayed in thailand for so long to be caught they a plain stupid.

4 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Only one who was willing to translate to achieve what the military have already decided.

Edited by Reigntax

2 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Absolutely to all the above.  One of my regular hobby horses on TVF is that Journos here never provide follow up to cases in the public interest.  You list some excellent examples of this.  I for one would like to know the answers to all those points.

5 hours ago, rkidlad said:

Monty Python couldn't have come up with this. Along with the UFO temple this is a s*** show in its purest form. 

2 minutes ago, Gandtee said:

What a blatant disregard of justice, which according to reports is the norm in China. Surely there is more than one interpreter in the world. Or could this be stage managed? Shocking!

see i knew it, they have got only 1 thai that can translate just as i suspected

9 minutes ago, Allstars said:

That would suit the murderers of 20 innocent people right.

If it was me they would have been executed already.

So you assume they are guilty? Same as the Koh Tao pair? Cowboy justice? 

3 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

Seeing as how the Uighur people live in China there are probably quiet a few!

Not sure how many Uighur speakers there would be in other countries. 

They (translators) may be too scared to come here and defy the "prejudgment" (vs predjudice) of the court and police, which might see the translators in shackles as well.

uighers are as much fair game as Burmese, and may end up sharing a cell with johnathan head...  silly me... they will share a cell with thirty other criminals of state persecution... but then, maybe mr head ( from now on),  will be in that cell, too.

Edited by farcanell

1 minute ago, Allstars said:

, No not at all, they have been proven to be terrorists and plenty of evidence found, so definitely they must be innocent

I thought they had not had the court case yet?  Have they previously been involved in terroism ?

1 minute ago, Allstars said:

, No not at all, they have been proven to be terrorists and plenty of evidence found, so definitely they must be innocent

I presume you mean guilty, or being sarcastic? Is it not for the the justice system, as weak as it is here, to decide guilt or innocence? There are many examples of it's failure, but it is better than nothing.