What type of school did you go to?

seancbk

Private School or State School?   

86 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

7 hours ago, Ace of Pop said:

I remember watching Grange Hill when I'd been out of England for ages I was in disbelief.Surley gobby little Yobs.Most of them graduated To Beach Road by the look of the Old Brits you see there.?

Hahahah!   Well said.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

7 hours ago, Ace of Pop said:

I remember watching Grange Hill when I'd been out of England for ages I was in disbelief.Surley gobby little Yobs.Most of them graduated To Beach Road by the look of the Old Brits you see there.?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

At least some of us yobs down on Beach Road can spell 'surly' in addition to looking the part.

5 minutes ago, robertthebruce said:

I went to. One of the roughest Schools in my area......dam awful....

but my education started the moment I left school.....

it it done me good stead....

Now look what's happened. Bloody public school toffs have upset my mate here. :glare:

6 hours ago, SheungWan said:

At least some of us yobs down on Beach Road can spell 'surly' in addition to looking the part.

6 hours ago, transam said:

Doubt it.....:stoner:

I'll pop down and ask some of the Brain's Trust members opposite Mike's. :cool:

In the USA a "state school" is referred to  public school. That being said I attended state/city run public schools through graduation from high school. School quality in the USA can vary wildly even within the same city, but the ones I attended were pretty good quality in my opinion.

Difficult to vote because i went to both , a private school ,then when i passed my exams i went to a grammar school . When i left i got a very good job ,which really set me up for life , then the lure of 60s London called and all hell broke out , it was great ,i was lucky enough to be able to mix with pop stars and actors although in those days they were just like us , having a good time ,unlike the media savvy bunch that are around today . what a happy life i have had ,thank you God ,or whoever it was watching over me .:smile:

2 minutes ago, i claudius said:

Difficult to vote because i went to both , a private school ,then when i passed my exams i went to a grammar school . When i left i got a very good job ,which really set me up for life , then the lure of 60s London called and all hell broke out , it was great ,i was lucky enough to be able to mix with pop stars and actors although in those days they were just like us , having a good time ,unlike the media savvy bunch that are around today . what a happy life i have had ,thank you God ,or whoever it was watching over me .:smile:

Lol nice post love the bit "they were just like us"? Not like the pretentious pricks now. Bring back the good old days.

8 minutes ago, i claudius said:

Trans similar stuff.....:stoner:.....Except I didn't get the good job thingy...:sad:

On 3/5/2017 at 0:14 PM, Suradit69 said:

Although it helps or else Prince Charles and Prince William would have done courses in brick laying or hotel management.

Winston Churchill was a qualified member of the Amalgamated Union of Bricklayers and was a keen bricklayer throughout his life.

winston-laying-bricks2.jpg

1 hour ago, SheungWan said:

Winston Churchill was a qualified member of the Amalgamated Union of Bricklayers and was a keen bricklayer throughout his life.

winston-laying-bricks2.jpg

Yes, but it was a pastime for him, just as were painting and writing.  He didn't do a course of study in bricklaying in lieu of receiving an academic education. He attended the Royal Military College at Sandhurst, after failing the entrance exam several times.

There's nothing wrong with doing a course in bricklaying or any practical trade, but affluent and influential parents tend to pull strings to get their children into academic study in places considered suitably impressive even if the children lack the qualifications to benefit from such an education. 

Queen Elizabeth was educated "at home."  I expect, if she had any interest in bricklaying she would have done it quite well and might have also become a member of the bricklayers' union. She became a truck mechanic and ambulance driver in the army during WWII

13 minutes ago, Suradit69 said:

Yes, but it was a pastime for him, just as were painting and writing.  He didn't do a course of study in bricklaying in lieu of receiving an academic education. He attended the Royal Military College at Sandhurst, after failing the entrance exam several times.

There's nothing wrong with doing a course in bricklaying or any practical trade, but affluent and influential parents tend to pull strings to get their children into academic study in places considered suitably impressive even if the children lack the qualifications to benefit from such an education. 

Queen Elizabeth was educated "at home."  I expect, if she had any interest in bricklaying she would have done it quite well and might have also become a member of the bricklayers' union. She became a truck mechanic and ambulance driver in the army during WWII

I would guess that Queen Elizabeth is a very well informed individual, certainly far better informed than the vast majority of her subjects.   She may not have had typical schooling, but she has lived a life being interested in what's going on in the world and consulting with experts in many varied fields to learn more about things.

And on a related not, although it is a work of fiction the Mini Series "The Crown" about the early years of her reign is excellent.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4786824/

1 hour ago, Suradit69 said:

School is one of the formative experiences of one's life but not the only one and the neat separation of formal education from that of non-formal education doesn't always work. That is why some individuals receive honorary degrees. There will always be the old cold warriors among us arguing the golden spoon formula but life tends to be a little bit messy and ability can (not always) triumph over the formal schooling experience notwithstanding its great advantages. Sometimes one's hobbies and interests supplant the formal career based on the formal education and even if that does not happen, can support and provide periods of calm to succeed on other stages. Churchill's bricklaying and painting provided this. For others playing a musical instrument plays the same role. When listening to a musician play one doesn't first ask what is that person's educational credentials. As for QEII's participation on the home front, well the current royal family have never exactly been known for their academic prowess, but Elizabeth's activities in WW2 turned out to be far more significant in the future than her schooling.

I think our dear Queen was brought up for a very specific role, and already had all the qualifications necessary when she was first born.  We should be grateful that she was educated to do her job, not to get her job.

Some of us also have the opportunity to follow in the family trade, but few of us are under the same obligation to do so

Edited by StreetCowboy
Because the gaffer told me to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YN0QA_h9Tk.

2 hours ago, StreetCowboy said:

I think our dear Queen was brought up for a very specific role, and already had all the qualifications necessary when she was first born.  We should be grateful that she was educated to do her job, not to get her job.

Some of us also have the opportunity to follow in the family trade, but few of us are under the same obligation to do so

Cannot really say that. When Elizabeth was born, she wasn't directly in line for the throne.

I attended a methodist missionary school in Bolivia for 2 years and both classmates and teachers were appalled...things there culminated when a classmate (who I rather fancied) solemnly approached to ask if I believed in god...

I wrote my parents to advise that I was considered to be the school antichrist and they quickly agreed that my immediate repatriation was in order...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

My parents send me to a well known British boarding school in Switzerland high up in a Swiss alpine village. I loved it especially during the winter term as we would go skiing nearly every day.

I went to top public school in the UK. Conditions were worse than a prison and I hated everything about it. I learned absolutely nothing. I dropped out at 17 and travelled around the continent where my education began. I learned to speak another four languages fluently, two of which landed me very good jobs. I consider my public school education. A complete waste of money and time.

Can you share with us which top public school you attended?

I went to top public school in the UK. Conditions were worse than a prison and I hated everything about it. I learned absolutely nothing. I dropped out at 17 and travelled around the continent where my education began. I learned to speak another four languages fluently, two of which landed me very good jobs. I consider my public school education. A complete waste of money and time.