Thai ID for foreigners, requirements

Hi there,

I have seen a thread recently where someone claimed they got offered a Thai ID for foreigners.

So I have been here for a while, but I am on an ED Visa.

Am I able to obtain such an ID card? I stay in Jomtien, Pattaya.

What documents would be required for it. Unfortunately I cant find that other thread anymore, but it was 1-2 weeks ago I think.

Thanks a lot in advance.

• Confused 1

You must have a yellow house book first before you can apply for the Pink ID card or maybe you can get two at the same time. But In Jomtien, I'm not very sure as a lot of foreigners said that is very difficult to get it done

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Anthony Loh said:

You must have a yellow house book first before you can apply for the Pink ID card or maybe you can get two at the same time. But In Jomtien, I'm not very sure as a lot of foreigners said that is very difficult to get it done

Most of Jomtien comes under Pattaya City ampher, With all the documents (listed above) its not hard. The main difficulty being the MFA translation of passport/birth cert etc, a trip to Bangkok. If you are married, Pattaya City will accept the MFA certified marriage documents instead of passport/birth cert etc. The whole process takes a couple of weeks and a couple of visits.

• Like 1

Thanks a lot for all the replies, thats really helpful.

I have a yellow book and it doesnt seem to be a huge problem getting all the other documents.

I guess I will just give it a try and see how it goes, at least I got everything thats needed for it.

Thanks a lot for all the replies, thats really helpful.
I have a yellow book and it doesnt seem to be a huge problem getting all the other documents.

I guess I will just give it a try and see how it goes, at least I got everything thats needed for it.

That's great to hear that my friend! Wish you all the best and happy long stay in Thailand in the future! Cheers

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect
  • Like 1

I got my ID card last week, went very smoothly.
Took the Yellow house book to the Nongprue municipality that issued it, so they could confirmed the validity.

Other documents needed was:
Passport with the extension of visas, driver's licenses.
Made copies of all documents.
Brought the confirmation and the rest of the documents 
to the Ampur of Banglamung and got the ID card, cost 100 baht.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Fairynuff said:

I used mine to get an AIS SIM card. Used it for checking in to hotels and other occasions where ID has been requested. Thais who have never seen one before like it and like the fact you have one. IMO it's already proven useful.

Big question: does it get you into National  Parks for Thai price? Thai driving licence will not now do this whereas it used to.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TheSwede99 said:

I got my ID card last week, went very smoothly.
Took the Yellow house book to the Nongprue municipality that issued it, so they could confirmed the validity.

Other documents needed was:
Passport with the extension of visas, driver's licenses.
Made copies of all documents.
Brought the confirmation and the rest of the documents 
to the Ampur of Banglamung and got the ID card, cost 100 baht.

a friend of mine has this ID card you should see the problems it causes when he produces it, lots of Thais running round like headless chickens not knowing what it is. he says its too much of a problem and now only uses his passport.

• Like 1

As an addendum: the aforementioned yellow book is only obtainable if you own a condo or are married to a Thai lady and you own a house. And before I get bricbats - yes you can own a house in Thailand but  not the land. It's supported by a document called a usufruct -check it out know it all's! I am married to a Thai guy and normally that would not allow me to get a yellow book but dear boss lady at my local amphur office says my UK marriage certificate will be accepted as an exceptional case but this is not standard procedure. 

8 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

See attached, documents for yellow book and ID at Pattay City hall

yellow.jpg

Not so fast Pattaya boys, I have just gone through the yellow book / I'd card process and I can assure you it is an almighty pain

initially i was told to legalaize my U.K. Birth certificate, the story is below

the ministry of FA would not do any translations on it, they never saw such a document called an Apostille

i finally got it because I own a condo in Pattaya and I used the Chanote

if you don't have this you most likely will not be able to get the translation, try it and see how far you get

the USA also has a legalization department of state

here is a post I put on an Issan Group

All should be thankful you don't want a yellow book in pattaya - am sure those who do not live in pattaya are happy about that

As one post says you don't really need one

The city hall in pattaya has changed all the rules this year

Now you have to get your passport stamped by a translator from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in the Bangkok consular office, then after 2 days you get it back and have to go back the get to get it stamped by the ministry of foreign affairs that is the green stamp 

If you don't own a condo then you are stuck,  the rules say that they need your birth certificate legalized". I have a U.K. Birth certificate so after some phone calls I found out that there is a Legalization office in the U.K., you fill out a form online and then send in your original BC. I did this and got it back in a week

When legalizing a U.K. Birth certificate give you an "Apostille". I took these documents to the MOFA and they refused to do anything with it because they did not know what it was for!

Legalization by Apostille has been around for years in the EU but the MOFA has not caught up with it yet

So I then found I could use my condo purchase documents, I took them to city hall and they refused to accept them because my translated name was not the same as the name on the translation from MOFA

so I went to the land office and got the name changed

So now I can get a yellow book but it certainly is not worth the hassle in pattaya 

I was going to abandon the effort but I don't like giving up once I start something

I took two thai witnesses to the city hall with their blue house book and thai ID

So they accepted that

Oh they also require a one year visa and a certificate of residence from immigration

A holy pain if ever there was one

And all for a document you really do not need

This is the doc list they gave me

The lady at the city hall was helpful and told me that pattaya was the first to apply these requirement because of the number of expats who live here, other Amphur's will be implementing these "rules" this year

I guess they want to make sure all who apply are good guys!

7 hours ago, Anthony Loh said:

I did'nt find it difficult with my Thai wife's help of course, the yellow house book is for foreigners took about 6 weeks, after that the pink i/d card was straight forward in Sattahip and cost 100bht, which apparently is more expensive than elsewhere, what use it is, i've yet to find out, jomthien emigration when i did my extension about three weeks ago just shrugged it away.

I wish the authorities would come up with positive uses for ex-pats to use this card, which at the moment seems to Thai entry prices at National Parks etc. and that probably at the whim of of the ticket issuer! 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, maxcorrigan said:

I did'nt find it difficult with my Thai wife's help of course, the yellow house book is for foreigners took about 6 weeks, after that the pink i/d card was straight forward in Sattahip and cost 100bht, which apparently is more expensive than elsewhere, what use it is, i've yet to find out, jomthien emigration when i did my extension about three weeks ago just shrugged it away.

I wish the authorities would come up with positive uses for ex-pats to use this card, which at the moment seems to Thai entry prices at National Parks etc. and that probably at the whim of of the ticket issuer! 

The ID is really just a repeat of the yellow book information, citizen number, address etc. The yellow book is handy because you no longer need to get resident certificates from immigration. Thais use their blue book for lots of things, renew license, open bank account, sign up for pay tv etc. In theory a foreigner can use their yellow book for the same, and the ID has all the same information.

2 hours ago, catman20 said:

a friend of mine has this ID card you should see the problems it causes when he produces it, lots of Thais running round like headless chickens not knowing what it is. he says its too much of a problem and now only uses his passport.

Passport doesnt have your address on it so its not much use for any proof of address, renewing license etc

3 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Passport doesnt have your address on it so its not much use for any proof of address, renewing license etc

Neither is the Thai ID card really any good. What's to say that you don't move the day after getting it?

10 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

The ID is really just a repeat of the yellow book information, citizen number, address etc. The yellow book is handy because you no longer need to get resident certificates from immigration. Thais use their blue book for lots of things, renew license, open bank account, sign up for pay tv etc. In theory a foreigner can use their yellow book for the same, and the ID has all the same information.

You're probably right, if it will save time and expense getting a residents permit which only lasts for one month i believe, but as i stated i've yet to use mine!

2 minutes ago, sinbin said:

Neither is the Thai ID card really any good. What's to say that you don't move the day after getting it?

I get what you are saying but if you just moved all your proof of resident docs would be incorrect, then you need to start again resident certificate from immigration, yellow book etc

5 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

I get what you are saying but if you just moved all your proof of resident docs would be incorrect, then you need to start again resident certificate from immigration, yellow book etc

If you use your Thai ID card with the wrong address on then who's to know? I doubt Immigration computers are linked up with the Amphurs, driving licence office or the police .

In pattaya you can do the same day, first they give you the yellow book, then you go to the ID section, expats can only go after 3pm

You should note that pattaya changed the regulations in the New Year.

Some of the Amphurs in Issan have much simpler rules

I persevered because at some time in the future I think all Amphurs will be instructed to do what pattaya does, whilst the yellow book does have uses, I think in the future it will become much more dominant in the expat world.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

3 minutes ago, houstoniron said:

I persevered because at some time in the future I think all Amphurs will be instructed to do what pattaya does, whilst the yellow book does have uses, I think in the future it will become much more dominant in the expat world.

Only ever used my Yellow Book once in the years I've had it. And that was for the Foreigners Medical Scheme that they retracted within the first year of starting. I disagree with your thought and I say the Driving License is the better thing.

6 minutes ago, sinbin said:

Only ever used my Yellow Book once in the years I've had it. And that was for the Foreigners Medical Scheme that they retracted within the first year of starting. I disagree with your thought and I say the Driving License is the better thing.

In most DLTs you use your yellow book to get, or renew, a driving license. chicken or the egg