Thai ID for foreigners, requirements

9 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

See attached, documents for yellow book and ID at Pattay City hall

yellow.jpg

Question regarding number 4: Gaurantee Certificate from Embassy, what would this be as I am trying to get around the birth certificate being sealed by the Australian Embassy, its a 3 day wait in BKK, they won't accept it by post and if your in the north-east as I am your up Shit creek, the other alternative is to take it with me and get it done in Oz when I am there in May, that will be a one day turn around, i.e. drop in one day and pick it up the next, then will have the usual translation into Thai and then the Thai Embassy seal in BKK, a lot of crock when I have the originl BC certified by a JP, passport with seal from embassy and marriage certificate sealed.

When I spoke to the Oz embassy they said that all Aussies applying for a yellow book usually get their BC's certified, same day, and they haven't heard of it requiring to be sealed/authenticated.

Edited by 4MyEgo

5 minutes ago, sinbin said:

A letter from Immigration will cover you for a 'Yellow Book'.

Thats the main use and advantage of a yellow book/ID, once you have it you dont need to get a letter from immigration "every-time" you renew your license or need to prove your address. I have been here for 4 years now and I must have got 10-15 resident certificates from immigration. Now, I buy and sell cars, renew my license, sign up for internet etc without going to immigration every time.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Question regarding number 4: Gaurantee Certificate from Embassy, what would this be as I am trying to get around the birth certificate being sealed by the Australian Embassy, its a 3 day wait in BKK, they won't accept it by post and if your in the north-east as I am your up Shit creek, the other alternative is to take it with me and get it done in Oz when I am there in May, that will be a one day turn around, i.e. drop in one day and pick it up the next, then will have the usual translation into Thai and then the Thai Embassy seal in BKK, a lot of crock when I have the originl BC certified by a JP, passport with seal from embassy and marriage certificate sealed.

Question 4 is any of those documents, certified translated etc. Yes its a pain. Not sure what they mean by garentee certificate. They basically want official translation of yours and parents names so they will accept your marriage docs if you got married in Thailand. I did it late last year using only marriage documents. PM me if need more info.

Edited by Peterw42
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Question 4 is any of those documents, certified translated etc. Yes its a pain. Not sure what they mean by garentee certificate. They basically want official translation of yours and parents names so they will accept your marriage docs if you got married in Thailand. I did it late last year using only marriage documents. PM me if need more info.

Justed PM'd you 555

7 hours ago, Chicken George said:

I have one but id say it was a total waste of time. A driving licence has more uses. Tried to get a phone AIS. Would not accept it but accepted driving licence. Its only valid in your jang wat (county).

Serves no purpose other than ID but a driving license does the same.

I use my ID to brought a IPhone 7+ with the new AIS SIM card and also get a AIS package. It's very simple, just bring along your Pink ID and your yellow house book  will done.

6 hours ago, catman20 said:

a friend of mine has this ID card you should see the problems it causes when he produces it, lots of Thais running round like headless chickens not knowing what it is. he says its too much of a problem and now only uses his passport.

That's very interesting, the ID is written in Thai words and the local Thai can't figure out what is this? Sounds very funny to me, I use my everywhere in Thailand and don't have this issue. Instead they are very happy and excited to see me a foreigner holding this card and told me that some local people that don't have a Thai ID also can't apply this pink ID and how I can get it? I just simply smile at them. Cheers

11 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

Passport doesnt have your address on it so its not much use for any proof of address, renewing license etc

sorry i meant to say driving license, but got interrupted when i was writing it and put passport for some reason,only just noticed it now you pointed it out.:sorry:

18 hours ago, 1happykamper said:

How useful is the Thai ID card? I have a thai drivers license... Seems to work for ID.. except for farang pricing. I never get by that.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

A Thai drivers license is not an official ID card.

No visa status is mentioned on there.

When you get a new passport the passport nr on the drivers license is not the same.

Changing address? Not the same on drivers license.

Some people are changing addresses many times a year.

• Like 1

On 06/03/2017 at 7:49 PM, Peterw42 said:

PeterW42

Just come in on this thread as we went to the local amphur today to see if I could get a yellow book but they said that the gf and I need to be married. Is this correct?

19 minutes ago, GreasyFingers said:

PeterW42

Just come in on this thread as we went to the local amphur today to see if I could get a yellow book but they said that the gf and I need to be married. Is this correct?

I believe thats not correct. People on other threads have mentioned  they have a yellow book/ID and not married.

I think I recall someone having a similar problem in one of the other threads, and someone posted the official Act to show to an Ampher.

6 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

I believe thats not correct. People on other threads have mentioned  they have a yellow book/ID and not married.

I think I recall someone having a similar problem in one of the other threads, and someone posted the official Act to show to an Ampher.

It depends on your amphora. Some will not issue unless your legally married and some others will. No two amphers seldom have the same requirements.

• Like 1

PeterW42

Normally the ampur will only issue to you if you are married with the local ( passport having a non "O" visa, how Long have you been staying in Thai and the best is you have a Thai kid with your wife ) or you own the condominium or you Long rent a house but that with need the Thai house owners to agree and help you to apply for it, a valid work permit may help.

There are some foreigners said different thing and different requirements in different area ampur.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

On 3/6/2017 at 11:09 PM, Fairynuff said:

To those who think it's a waste of time, fine, don't get one. For me it's been useful and happy I got it. Cost me an hour and 20baht plus a few photocopies.

Quite, I used mine at the mobile health service and they never batted an eyelid, just like everyone else. The only ones that got excited were those next to me, they all wanted to have a look.

Also took me about an hour, only had to show my passport and yellow book and it came free of charge. They just fed the info from the yellow book into the computer, only time I have seen anything done without photocopies.

People should try and remember that a Thai driving licence is only of any use to those that drive. No use telling someone who doesn't drive how great it is.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
5 hours ago, lou62 said:

I've got a Yellow Book, Driver's license and ID card. I've found the ID Card to be basically worthless. A waste of time and money even bothering.

How much did the ID card cost you?

9 hours ago, lou62 said:

I've got a Yellow Book, Driver's license and ID card. I've found the ID Card to be basically worthless. A waste of time and money even bothering.

3 hours ago, Maestro said:

How much did the ID card cost you?

It cost me 50 Baht, a few minutes to fill in the application form and have my photo taken.  No real hassle.

I recovered the cost the first time I used it to enter Erawan National Park in Kanchanaburi.  I showed them my pink ID card and was given Thai entrance rate.  Saving 200 Baht. :partytime2:

PS.  There was a notice in English at the pay station advising that they no longer accept Thai driving licence or work permit to obtain Thai entrance rate.

On 3/7/2017 at 3:20 AM, bandito said:

A Thai drivers license is not an official ID card.

No visa status is mentioned on there.

When you get a new passport the passport nr on the drivers license is not the same.

Changing address? Not the same on drivers license.

Some people are changing addresses many times a year.

The Thai DL is for sure a official ID card and can be used for identifications requirements.

But it can't be used to proof visa status.

Normal police checks identifications requirements and Immigration officers check for visa status.

Those are two different things done by two different departments.

On ‎12‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 7:18 AM, merijn said:

The Thai DL is for sure a official ID card and can be used for identifications requirements.

But it can't be used to proof visa status.

Normal police checks identifications requirements and Immigration officers check for visa status.

Those are two different things done by two different departments.

The Thai Drivers License is NOT an official ID card.

You are wrong.

Try to open a bank account with it, among other things.

3 hours ago, bandito said:

The Thai Drivers License is NOT an official ID card.

You are wrong.

Try to open a bank account with it, among other things.

The Thai DL is regarded as a official photo ID card.

It can be used for example to fly domestically etc.

The reason that you can't open a bank account with a Thai DL is the fact that they have to check your visa status for this.

• 1 year later...
On ‎3‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 4:14 PM, aslimversgwm said:

Big question: does it get you into National  Parks for Thai price? Thai driving licence will not now do this whereas it used to.

Yes but at their discretion. I got into Fang Hot Springs national park for 50 baht (Thai price) after producing my pink card.That saved me 450 baht.      Also used for booking in at Resorts .Not sure I like my passport going into the back room for photocopying.

I'm way ahead seeing as it cost 60 baht

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/6/2017 at 4:14 PM, aslimversgwm said:

Big question: does it get you into National  Parks for Thai price? Thai driving licence will not now do this whereas it used to.

I got into Kho Samet for half price so saved ฿100 ,used to be Thai price but that has changed.

• 4 months later...
On 3/6/2017 at 3:54 PM, Fairynuff said:

I used mine to get an AIS SIM card. Used it for checking in to hotels and other occasions where ID has been requested. Thais who have never seen one before like it and like the fact you have one. IMO it's already proven useful.

banks always insisted on your passport for any transaction, but now they accept pink ID instead. also national parks, you pay the thai price with pink ID. So it is useful!

• Thanks 2