UBER is now in.... WHAT ??? Pattaya - Bangsaen - Chonburi ???

siam2007

There is a lot of discussion in the press about Uber and Grab Car, who are both deemed to be operating illegally. The argument is about the current government's 4.0 policy, which is meant to be forward thinking and all-embracing of new technology. Their opposition to Uber and Grab Car seems at odds with this policy. We can speculate; and we do; as to what hidden motives are at play. I will not use the current taxis on principal and am wary of using Uber and Grab Car whilst they are being targetted. I will "charter" a baht bus if I need to, though that is probably illegal too. I am just glad I do not live in Phuket.

8 hours ago, Xaos said:

Yes was in pattaya news.

Cops call for uber then fine them.

Wow, that's pretty discouraging.  I hadn't heard about that in Pattaya, just the stuff going on in Bangkok.

21 hours ago, craigt3365 said:

1/2 the price of Grab Taxi!

Grab CAR charges similar prices, half of what the fixed Grab TAXI rate is.

108 Baht to PTY North Bus station, whereas Grab Taxi wants 220.

Now u just need to actually manage to GRAB such a GRAB CAR, which could be a major challenge, as there are only 1-5 cars around in town whenever I have a look at the app

• Like 1

On 18/03/2017 at 10:39 PM, Xaos said:

Yes was in pattaya news.

Cops call for uber then fine them.

Because the cops are heavily involved in the PTY transport scam scheme (incl. Motocy drivers, yellow-blue Cabs, BahtBus armada)

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Do they accept cash or if not can use a Thai bank atm card debit?

I tried to setup as cash but it said not supported. But the system still seems to let me proceed.

Yes , the first thing you do when you register to UBER is to choose payment method. I used my Kasikorn visa debit card. Very convinient. When you enter the car you'll get a text from Kasikorn that you've been charged. No hidden fees,

• Like 1

Yes , the first thing you do when you register to UBER is to choose payment method. I used my Kasikorn visa debit card. Very convinient. When you enter the car you'll get a text from Kasikorn that you've been charged. No hidden fees,

That's good to know but I still want to know if they really won't take cash.

That basically means you'll get 50% discount if you want to drive from Jomtien to S-Pattaya.

You might wonder how the drivers can earn anything from this promotion but the truth is that Uber headquarter will credit all the drivers so they do not lose any money. 

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

Like I already said I chose cash but got a rejection message. But it still seems to be offering me bookings. So I'm confused.

Ok I only used card. But I think if you can book a car , there should be no problem , just pay cash. You have already registered with your phone number and email. Remember to insert the new promotion code I posted earlier, under payment in the menu.

I needed to take a short ride from Naklua to Sukhumvit and used the promo code after 3 pm. I was only charged 20 baht one way and only 2 baht, that's right, 2 baht on the return trip. 

No questions asked , polite and happy drivers and see you next time. 

OK, update, on a test booking I was able to state payment method cash and it was not rejected.

I added the promo code on this thread but on a test booking during the hours, it didn't seem to register. Oh well.

I'm a Uber virgin and I know it's different in different cities and countries, but I have some questions.

Tipping -- are you tipping Uber in Pattaya? If by card do you add to card payment?

Sitting -- sit in back like a tax or in front like the driver is your mate?

Pick up sites -- is it safe to call Uber for a pickup where the standard transport people are working? For example, at Tesco with a lot of stuff? I'm sure they would be a lot cheaper than the standard methods but would Uber even accept such a booking?

Driver ratings of customers -- I assume that's international. Obviously showing up and not smelling bad is basic, but that brings up tipping, see above.

Edited by Jingthing

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

Pick up sites -- is it safe to call Uber for a pickup where the standard transport people are working? For example, at Tesco with a lot of stuff? I'm sure they would be a lot cheaper than the standard methods but would Uber even accept such a booking?

I've seen that mentioned before but wonder how important that is at a pick-up point.  Is there any logo on the car to indicate it's Uber?  It could just look like a friend picking you up at Tesco.

Now, at the drop off point it could be more apparent if you'd be handing the driver cash.  Or, could you do that mid-route and avoid that giveaway, too?

When it's a credit card transaction on a card registered when you sign up on the app, is there any fussing around with forms or anything, or just a "Thanks & Good bye" and exit the car?

I'm an Uber virgin, too.  One time I unwittingly used Grab Car and there was no outward indication on the car it was Grab.

On 3/22/2017 at 10:20 PM, Jingthing said:

OK, update, on a test booking I was able to state payment method cash and it was not rejected.

I added the promo code on this thread but on a test booking during the hours, it didn't seem to register. Oh well.

I'm a Uber virgin and I know it's different in different cities and countries, but I have some questions.

Tipping -- are you tipping Uber in Pattaya? If by card do you add to card payment?

Sitting -- sit in back like a tax or in front like the driver is your mate?

Driver ratings of customers -- I assume that's international. Obviously showing up and not smelling bad is basic, but that brings up tipping, see above.

Tipping:  If you're American you would probably feel it's necessary to tip,  I never tip myself , my Kasikorn card is connected to the app and everything is automatic , when the trip has finished I just say bye and see you next time.

But on a couple of trips I did hand over some 20 baht notes if the driver did something out of the ordinary , like open the door for me or I carry luggage with me. But they do not expect tip. 

Sitting: I always sit in the back of the car like I would do in a taxi . But I guess that's up to you. 

Pick up :  I always make sure to navigate the pin on the map to the nearest main road, and avoid the exit where all the taxi mafia is operating.   On one occasion  on my trip to Chiang Mai I needed a ride from the train station to the center of the city, The Uber driver phoned me and explained he could not pick me up at the station so he just asked  me to walk 50 meter out to the road.  If you carry a lot of luggage that might be an issue but it's a small prize to pay to avoid the taxi mafia in CM that charges 3-400 baht instead of Uber 100 -150 baht .   Btw my  experience is that most of the drivers speak good enough English. 

Driver ratings: Never experienced a bad driver , except one driver that went in the wrong direction until I told him to  turn  around . That driver I gave 3 stars , all others full score 5 stars. Its a good idea to leave your app open so you can follow the trip to your destinatiion. If the driver is not following the  route , sometimes you will be charged more than you agreed on . 

Edited by balo
  • Like 1

Have used it twice thus far. 5 stars each time. Cheaper than a couple bike taxis. Gave each a small tip and asked them not to give up. Have used Uber worldwide, no need to tip. 

Checking availability of late it looks to be expanding its range out of town a bit.

I could Uber for three years before I'll catch up to what it recently cost me for blowing over here!

• Like 1

By the way, I checked the UBER fare to U-TAPAO and they seem to charge 600 Baht which is the cheapest I found anywhere.

Will test it and report when I go on my yearly  "oh-my-god-it-is-Songkhran-lets-get-the-hell-out-of-here" - escape

Most people do not tip Uber in the USA.  It is not expected like a taxi and you have to use a stored credit card as payment.  Uber's service was a way to eliminate the need for cash.  By tipping cash, you kind of thwart what Uber was designed to do.  

• Like 1

On 08/03/2017 at 7:44 PM, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

Since Uber is illegal in Thailand you will be traveling uninsured...

The police should get a memo about the fact that Thailand is a Buddhist country and prostitution is illegal too!

Uber's insurance covers you up to $1 million... you don't need Somchai Ltd ScamSurance cover to be insured in foreign country