Thailand ranks the least miserable country for the third year in a row

snoop1130

12 hours ago, Just1Voice said:

It's difficult to be miserable when you're an idiot 90% of the time, and just blissfully go about your day.

Brought to mind Jackson Brown's "The Pretender" lines: "I'm gonna be a happy idiot/ working for the legal tender"

I wonder if survey included "guest workers" from Burma and Cambodia?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

7 hours ago, djayz said:

Just because somebody "doesn't work" doesn't actually mean that he's "out of work". 

There are loads of people in the village in Korat where I live who don't work/don't have to work/don't want to work, but none of them consider themselves out of work. 

Most of them are happy not having to work and get by with having very little. 

Yes, if you apply 'Western' concepts of work and productivity here, you would probably end up with around 95% of the population either unemployed or underemployed. But when you see how people in the villages live, and how - more or less miraculously - they survive (scavenging, digging assorted bugs out of the khlong or the lake, fishing, stealing, borrowing, an occasional odd job, mutual assistance ... ), then Western concepts seem mostly irrelevant.

"For the third year in a row, Thailand was ranked the least miserable country..."

However, Thailand is the 33rd happiest. One would think that least miserable would equate to happiness. It would help is the the terms 'Happy" and "miserable" would be defined. 

52 minutes ago, bangkokorbust said:

Unless of course it was the most miserable. In that case it would be described as a world class poll

Didn´t mean it that way, and I am one of the few that is stating many positive things in this forum with Thailand. Get shit for that all the time. LOL

What I mean is that people here is not behaving same like people in Germany, Sweden, England or US. They just smile as a birth reaction and are not in anyway complaining same much like other countries.

If that is good or bad, can be another discussion. It is certainly something that will affect the result of the poll.

1 hour ago, mfd101 said:

Yes, if you apply 'Western' concepts of work and productivity here, you would probably end up with around 95% of the population either unemployed or underemployed. But when you see how people in the villages live, and how - more or less miraculously - they survive (scavenging, digging assorted bugs out of the khlong or the lake, fishing, stealing, borrowing, an occasional odd job, mutual assistance ... ), then Western concepts seem mostly irrelevant.

I wasn't talking about Western concepts and this isn't the West, for better or for worse. 

I was merely trying to point out that a person who doesn't work, for whatever reason, can't automatically be branded as "out of work". 

56 minutes ago, djayz said:

I wasn't talking about Western concepts and this isn't the West, for better or for worse. 

I was merely trying to point out that a person who doesn't work, for whatever reason, can't automatically be branded as "out of work". 

I thought I was agreeing with you!

As was the case with the Obama administration, and no doubt will be the case with the current deflector in chief, those unemployment numbers cannot be considered credible. I do consider the Thais to have considerably less misery than most. But, nearly everyone I speak with expresses dissatisfaction with the current regime, and their unbelievable lack of competency and vision. Also, the tourism sector is hurting due to a tourism minister completely lacking in talent or experience, the past misspoken remarks of Little P., no improvement in tourism services, and the fact that nobody has ever bothered to address the chief complaints of the average tourist. Incompetent, indifferent policing, no traffic or public safety, the large variety of scams, dual pricing, an administration that is making visa policy difficult and incoherent and inconsistent, increasing taxes on luxury items, alcohol, and other commodities a tourist would be looking for resulting in higher prices, therefore stripping the country of one it's chief allures. Reasonable pricing. 

Little P. Moving Thailand backwards at an astonishing and alarming pace. 

23 minutes ago, mfd101 said:

I thought I was agreeing with you!

My bad. I misunderstood. I really shouldn't read/write anything before getting at least one cup of coffee into me first. ? 

No hard feelings. 

with all the negative comments and opinions I always see on here...I can't help but wonder...why the hell are most of you here!?

That is a question that is often raised by new forum posters.  As with any country, once you've lived here for a while, the rose-tinted glasses come off and you start to see both the good AND the bad.

7 minutes ago, simon43 said:

That is a question that is often raised by new forum posters.  As with any country, once you've lived here for a while, the rose-tinted glasses come off and you start to see both the good AND the bad.

And some people are miserable no matter what country they habitate.

The well worn  'rose tinted' comments prove that.

I have to ask some people how they would be if born Thai? No money, little opportunity in life.

Unlike the farangs, many Thai dont have the luxury of choice to travel and live somewhere else ...and yet somehow still manage to be be reasonably happy.

Farang come here where they can have an easy life and the choice to leave, but yet still manage to be miserable and complain about Thailand and Thais once these so called rose tinted glasses wear off.

Go figure. I think i just answered the question who is more miserable!

2 hours ago, Lupatria said:

Least miserable. Then why is it that many Thais are in fear to openly give their opinion about military rule and Article 44?

Does this lack of freedom make Thais miserable? Some, sure. For most Thais I know or meet, doesn't seem to directly effect their quality of life (at least from their point of view). Much of it got to do with education (or lack of), expectations (or lack of) and ingrained cultural ideas.  The poll isn't about which country is happiest, most free or the best. Least miserable implies these things but does not necessarily equate.

17 hours ago, ramrod711 said:

Spouses, boyfriends blamed for violence against women and children

I suspect that none of these abused or murdered women were asked for an opinion.

Did they also factor out accidents on the road and otherwise?

16 hours ago, darksidedog said:

I used to work in Singapore and it is about the most miserable place I have ever lived.

As for here, unemployment of 1%? Where did that figure come from? Never Never Land? Every second Thai I know is out of work.

I wonder if the publishers of this report based their figures on the level of bribes donated.

I can't see the figures being true any other way.

If your going to keep complaining the government will try and gag the news media oh sorry they are trying at present with their media gag bill and licensing of dispensers of news. 

3 hours ago, guero1026 said:

with all the negative comments and opinions I always see on here...I can't help but wonder...why the hell are most of you here!?

Gotcha he was sitting in the bushes all this time waiting to spring this on you all. He finally lost his TV virg*****

2 minutes ago, PatOngo said:

Cheap cigarettes!

3 minutes ago, PatOngo said:
  3 hours ago, guero1026 said:

To try and calm down people that are upset. I must say you have a real flair in getting your message across. 

5 hours ago, xraybaby said:

Well they obviously didn't include the opinions of most of the miserable cynics here. I have to wonder why most of you stay at all. Yeah, the country's not perfect, but nowhere is. I personally love the part of my life that is in Thailand, and that includes the many wonderful people that have become a rich part of my life in general there. Brighten up, folks!

Regarding all these wonderful people, do you think you could let me have a few names?  I'm desperate!  

Most of the people I know who form a rich part of my life have become rich at my expense,     :sorry:

13 hours ago, djayz said:

Just because somebody "doesn't work" doesn't actually mean that he's "out of work". 

There are loads of people in the village in Korat where I live who don't work/don't have to work/don't want to work, but none of them consider themselves out of work. 

Most of them are happy not having to work and get by with having very little. 

Is that a nice way to say many Thai people think waking up and/ or sleeping is work??