Phuket court fines Russian tourist B1k for feeding fish, woman faces immigration next

webfact

16 hours ago, Retiredandhappyhere said:

What is "funny" is that you seem to think that setting a 100000K bail and serving two nights in jail was the appropraiate course of action for a 53 year old woman who was a visitor to this country and probaly unaware of the exact regulations regarding feeding the fish in that particular area.  

Not too surprising though that you side with the authorities here as you seem to do so on practically every subject, no matter how ridiculous their actions appear to be to virtually everyone else.. 

What is still odd is that you (and several others) cannot understand, no matter how many times it has been pointed out, is that she didn't have bail set at B100k and have to serve two nights in jail, the bail amount was probably pre-legislated for the offence she was guilty off and if she'd have paid it she would have spent no time in jail at all!

What you seem to disregard is that the law is designed to protect reefs, etc, not to penalise those 'feeding fish' and the bail amount represents the seriousness of that offence, as does the maximum fine.  The woman's age is irrelevant.   If Thailand opted out of reef protection laws Thaivisa members would be up in arms about that.

If you think that reef protection legislation is a "ridiculous action" then I'm happy to have your, and "virtually everyone else's", disagreement.   What I think of the situation is called having my opinion which is what forums cater for.   Carry on jumping on the bandwagon.

Edited by gdgbb

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, zoza said:

anybody defending the actions taken by the authorities against a tourist needs to have a stern word with themselves. it has been repeatedly said by those same authorities that this was not a serious matter so why the 100,000 baht bail and then two nights in jail when they already have her passport. if it sounds like the actions of  a banana republic there might be a reason for that.

Anyone still not understanding what actually happened as opposed to what some members here claim to have happened needs to have more than a stern word with themselves.

There never was a B100k bail requirement "and then two nights in jail"; bail or custody are alternativesWhether the offender can raise the bail amount or not is beside the point.

What it actually sounds like is a country having laws protecting reefs, not a banana republic.

another shining example of the sheer, elevated daftness of everyone involved in law enforcement in thailand. The monk fiasco, siege of suvarnabhumi  airport, beating and torturing confessions from criminal scapegoats, arresting bridge players, etc. Top it off with no gov't, no constitution, zero human rights, no logic, no plan, no clue, no idea...= hopelessness and failure every step of the way.

Edited by localczar

On 3/7/2017 at 6:22 AM, colinneil said:

You just couldnt make up better than this c..p.

So she fed some fish, certainly not the crime of the century.

Have the BIB nothing better to do with their time?

Like  getting off their  lazy a...es and solving real crime.

I flew into Khon Kaen yesterday and there were at least 15 police lined up to welcome what I presume was a senior officer. So the answer to your question is No.

11 hours ago, gdgbb said:

That may be reasonable but only for someone who didn't break any laws.

I bet you broke some silly laws too. Would you be happy to spend two days of your expensive holidays in a cell for dropping a cigarette butt for example? get real.