Videos: Handbags at dawn - Chiang Mai road rage ends in a handshake!

webfact

Videos: Handbags at dawn - Chiang Mai road rage ends in a handshake!

4am.jpg

Picture: Thairath

CHIANG MAI: -- A Chiang Mai road rage incident that might have turned nasty ended in a handshake after a few fists were thrown.

A red song thaew driver got the hump after a man in an apron hooted him for getting too close, Thairath reported.

The driver of the public bus chased him through the narrow streets of Chiang Mai until the pair had an argument caught on the other driver's dash cam.

The bus driver thought the beeping was rude.

Another man does his best to keep them apart but eventually a few fists are thrown.

But while guns or knives have been the preferred means of mediation in several road rage incidents recently this one is quickly settled in an amicable Thai handshake.

Thai Rath reported that the incident was yet to reach the office of the Land Transport Department that has responsibility for the red buses in the city.

The handbags at dawn was actually Monday evening in the northern Thai city.

Source: Thairath

tvn_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-03-08

But while guns or knives have been the preferred means of mediation in several road rage incidents recently this one is quickly settled in an amicable Thai handshake.

Urban Dictionary defines "Thai handshake" as a "handjob by an oriental person. Didn't say anything about "amicable"

5 hours ago, webfact said:

The bus driver thought the beeping was rude.

Dear, oh dear, oh dear. GROW UP. You can actually see in the 1st vid the songteaw try to push his way in. Just imagine the dust ups if everyone in Thailand thought the way this pillock does. Hang on, maybe, just maybe, everyone does think this way.:sad:

Edited by dinsdale

Songteaw drivers really are the scum of the earth when it comes to driving. Poor diddums got upset because he got honked despite the fact he nearly pulled out and hit the other vehicle...which is fairly typical when it comes to songteaw drivers, I can't count how many near misses I've had with them.

They really want to ban Uber and Grab when they let these people drive on the roads?

Instead of sneering, Thairag should be cheering this rare amicable ending to what could have been yet another fatal road rage incident.

The media has a major role to play in changing cultural attitudes to violence and this article - with its handbags at dawn angle - is a major fail.

1 hour ago, lordblackader said:

Songteaw drivers really are the scum of the earth when it comes to driving. Poor diddums got upset because he got honked despite the fact he nearly pulled out and hit the other vehicle...which is fairly typical when it comes to songteaw drivers, I can't count how many near misses I've had with them.

They really want to ban Uber and Grab when they let these people drive on the roads?

Yep - the Song Teaw drivers (commonly known here as the 'song teaw mafia') here in CM are already trying to get Uber banned because it's putting these clapped-out, fume-spewing, road-hogging, over-priced, antiquated, uncomfortable 'trucks with roofs' and abusive, ignorant drivers out of business. The sooner they are finished the better for all of us. 

On 3/8/2017 at 4:36 AM, webfact said:

the incident was yet to reach the office of the Land Transport Department that has responsibility for the red buses in the city.

'... the Land Transport Department ... has (no)responsibility for the red buses in the city.

On 3/8/2017 at 10:31 AM, dinsdale said:

Dear, oh dear, oh dear. GROW UP. You can actually see in the 1st vid the songteaw try to push his way in. Just imagine the dust ups if everyone in Thailand thought the way this pillock does. Hang on, maybe, just maybe, everyone does think this way.:sad:

I'd say you're right in your comment - except for the 'think' aspect of it.

Maybe this is the A hole that I came across about 6 months ago.  The length of the road from the South West corner all the way up to HK road turn off....a red truck driver tried to force me off the road.

Complete idiot. And I had done nothing in regards my driving to piss him off. No horn no cutting him off...

I think that's possibly the mentality of these weirdos.