Thai Transport Min announces new taxi fares

webfact

New taxi fares announced

0703007-taxi.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The Transport Ministry has given the greenlight for an increase of taxi fares effective the following day after the publication of the fare increase announcement in the Royal Gazette.

The new formula of taxi fares is 40 baht for the first two kilometres of distance instead of 35 baht fare under the current pricing, 6 baht a kilometer for distance exceeding the first two kilometres up to 10th kilometer and 10 baht per kilometer for distance in excess of the first 10 kilometres.

In case a taxi is caught in traffic congestion that renders the taxi immovable or makes the vehicle to move not exceeding 6 kms per hour, the taxi owner is eligible to charge one baht per minute for distance not exceeding six kilometres per hour.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/new-taxi-fares-announced/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-03-08

"one baht per minute for distance not exceeding six kilometres per hour."

do not catch a cab between 730 am - 930am -1130am -1pm    then 430pm- 730pm

depending on where you are stuck traffic,

5 hours ago, webfact said:

the taxi owner is eligible to charge one baht per minute for distance not exceeding six kilometres per hour.

This may bring out the swords, machetes and other arms. This is why they use meters. So the damn Driver does not have to negotiate. What if he cannot speak the language of the pax.

2 hours ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

I don't know where you people live, I take taxi 30 times a month and in the past 4 years every single one of them has turned on the meter.

When I arrive in Khon Kaen airport not one waiting taxi wants to use the meter.

Well, then I order a taxi by phone.

The one that arrives switches on the meter.

Problem solved.

Not sure why the headline here isn't consistent with the one that comes if the link in the original posting is clicked.

Difference being the word "upcountry "

New taxi fares in upcountry announced

2017-03-08 10.48.43.png

59 minutes ago, catinthehat said:

This may bring out the swords, machetes and other arms. This is why they use meters. So the damn Driver does not have to negotiate. What if he cannot speak the language of the pax.

If you are stationary (<6kmh) the meter will increase 1 baht/minute. 

No negotiation required.  

4 hours ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

I don't know where you people live, I take taxi 30 times a month and in the past 4 years every single one of them has turned on the meter.

In Bangkok and I work near the Patpong area.

Approx 80% of all taxis on Silom or Surawonge, between 7:30 and midnight refuse to turn on the meter or even take you!

I don't know, where you live, but I guess we all can't live directly in paradise!

They ae fast to catch up with the farang ideology make money regardless how you do it just do it so now not only farangs that are all rich lkie the Thai think but the Thai themselves will be unable to afford it.

This is always the case with high volume of foreigners.

4 hours ago, smutcakes said:

Well overdue. I can only speak for BKK as i use taxis regularly here, but i don't think i have ever encountered one not turning the meter on in 10 years.

Clearly not using Taxis after 22:00 or at the weekend ...

900b for taxi meter ride airport to rawai, should be about 400 with those fares. 
Was quoted 1200b for "limo" service. It was 500b 6 years ago, go figure.

I hear you it is getting more more and more ridiculous I have heard countless arguments especially with the tuk tuks (separate moaning thread I guess) yeah about 1k to/from the airport how they justify that i will never know more expensive than the west. I was charged 500 baht the other week for patong to Kathu (only a couple of miles) the tuk tuk driver wouldn't budge I had a heavy suitcase with me and was hot so I grudgingly paid it.

Once the tourists stop arriving maybe they will get the message but I doubt it.

Sent from my SM-J710F using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

I hear you it is getting more more and more ridiculous I have heard countless arguments especially with the tuk tuks (separate moaning thread I guess) yeah about 1k to/from the airport how they justify that i will never know more expensive than the west. I was charged 500 baht the other week for patong to Kathu (only a couple of miles) the tuk tuk driver wouldn't budge I had a heavy suitcase with me and was hot so I grudgingly paid it.

Once the tourists stop arriving maybe they will get the message but I doubt it.

Would have been about 50 baht in an uber!

11 hours ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

Not in Chiang Mai.... no taxi will use the meter here... EVER!

9 hours ago, smutcakes said:

Well overdue. I can only speak for BKK as i use taxis regularly here, but i don't think i have ever encountered one not turning the meter on in 10 years.

Try taking one on the road outside JJ market, or on the road with the police station on KhaoSan, they won't use the meter in those places as if they stop they have to pay more than most fairs would be, cross the street or move a little away from that immediate area and every taxi will use it.

The fare increases are justified, even if the service varies from excellent to terrible. 

On the other hand, my family will continue to make use of Uber or similar services as it is safer, more reliable and better value for money when you consider the better vehicles being used. 

If the taxi services could only respond to Uber's better quality service, then they would not have to worry so much about losing business. 

Also, the Land and Transport Ministry is having a laugh when they think that regular taxis are safer than private cars used by Uber drivers. When the Ministry can guarantee that every taxi has working seatbelts in their car, space for a suitcase in the boot/trunk and the vast majority of drivers are courteous and drive safely,  then I will listen to their arguments against Uber and similar services. Until such time,  they should do everyone a favour and stop talking nonsense about the regular taxi services being licensed public transport providers. Same old nonsense that many ministries spout out here in Thailand. I like Thailand, but the governments here suck and have done for the 20 years I have worked here.  

13 hours ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

Samui. Never been in a taxi that used the meter in 17 years and minimum charge is 300 Baht if you are lucky. 1.38km from a friend's restaurant in town to back home so 300 Baht or likely 350 now since the 50 Baht surcharge was introduced. Return trip up the coast to go shopping at Tesco and big C is 22km and costs 1000 Baht. I can hire a jeep for the day @ 600 Baht and drive myself.

Anyone better these prices?

7 minutes ago, notmyself said:

Samui. Never been in a taxi that used the meter in 17 years and minimum charge is 300 Baht if you are lucky. 1.38km from a friend's restaurant in town to back home so 300 Baht or likely 350 now since the 50 Baht surcharge was introduced. Return trip up the coast to go shopping at Tesco and big C is 22km and costs 1000 Baht. I can hire a jeep for the day @ 600 Baht and drive myself.

Anyone better these prices?

The red songtaew taxis in Chiang Mai must be pushing close to those prices... Thai gf had to pay 500bht for a ten minute ride from the university to Safari park. 

Edited by the donger