Those jet-skis again - Australian media cites L.O.S. Thailand as Land of Scams

webfact

2 minutes ago, elgordo38 said:

Sometimes I wonder if it just me or am I becoming bitter as I age. My dislike list is growing longer by the day. My sainted old grandmother told me not to hate people and I try to live by that. The down side of retirement is that I know get to learn and study politics and realize its been a shitty effort for decades. Disgusting. 

Ah Mate, we just need another 18 or 20 coup's & it'll be alright.

I'll be 50 in a few months, but I realized about 10 years ago, that while politics may be utterly hopeless, they can also be hilarious at the same time.

No matter what happens, it's always funny.

Edited by jaywalker

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

45 minutes ago, dageurreotype said:

No wait, so you get chatting with some bint spinning you a story about a relative going to work in your home country and asking you to 'come to her house to give advice' [sic] to said relative and you end up in a card game whereby you were attempted to have been scammed? :laugh:

Soon in Hollywood.....

27 minutes ago, jaywalker said:

Ah Mate, we just need another 18 or 20 coup's & it'll be alright.

I'll be 50 in a few months, but I realized about 10 years ago, that while politics may be utterly hopeless, they can also be hilarious at the same time.

No matter what happens, it's always funny.

I will be 79 in a few months a Gem of a Gemini. Not to worry I will take you under my wing. If you have any problems "Talk to Daddy"

4 minutes ago, elgordo38 said:

I will be 79 in a few months a Gem of a Gemini. Not to worry I will take you under my wing. If you have any problems "Talk to Daddy"

I'm a Gemini as well Pops. :smile:

5 hours ago, smedly said:

unfortunately the authorities here are in denial - I actually think they don't believe these scams take place and it's all the imagination of tourists, this is likely backed up by local police are in fact heavily involved.

Oh, so true! None so blind as those who do not want to see.

14 minutes ago, hyku1147 said:

Don't rent jet skis in Patts. Anyone who advises to the contrary is either naive, deluded, or dishonest.

I don't think Kobkarn will like your description of her. :whistling:

The JetSki scammers are making a mistake in targeting Indians. Whereas Aussies are more likely just to moan about it for a while and then forget it, Indians will complain until the cows come home, long and loud and through every avenue open to them ( not intended to be a pejorative statement). They will rue the day they decide to ripoff Indians , Thais' "natural" inclination to want to do so nothwithstanding (and given that India is a major growth area for tourism, the Minister would do well to pay attention to it).

4 minutes ago, elgordo38 said:

I gettya. I used to do garage sales at home years ago. Each time an Indian or the equivalent walked up the driveway I would mentally double the price of any item. 

Next you tell him, "But just for you Sir, I can give you special price today" & drop your doubled price by 1 or 2%.

If you were really good you'd sell him a tailored suit while you were at it.

1 hour ago, Prbkk said:

The JetSki scammers are making a mistake in targeting Indians. Whereas Aussies are more likely just to moan about it for a while and then forget it, Indians will complain until the cows come home, long and loud and through every avenue open to them ( not intended to be a pejorative statement). They will rue the day they decide to ripoff Indians , Thais' "natural" inclination to want to do so nothwithstanding (and given that India is a major growth area for tourism, the Minister would do well to pay attention to it).

The differences being that there are 50 Indians for every Aussie.  And their economy is allowing more and more of them to be international tourists each year, providing a virtually endless supply of fresh meat.  It's that PT Barnum thing...

Not to mention the fact that everybody thinks the scams only happen to other people who don't take the precautions that a smart traveler such as themselves would take.  (Like taking photos before renting- as if that will help)  Of course they're wrong, but we all fell for some of the tricks when we were new to the world outside our own neighborhood.

Edit:  And I also believe the scammers don't care if they drive the hotels out of business for lack of tourists, or the taxis care if they bankrupt the restaurants, or the scooter guys care if they put the dive shops out of business- all by their greed and crappy treatment of the country's paying guests- as long as they get their's today.

Edited by impulse

2 hours ago, FitnessHealthTravel said:

They just go there. You been there lately?  Probably one of the most expensive places on the planet ;-)

I go there often, it's not so expensive...my homecountry costs much more.

And many things are free, like the Gardens at the Bay or other botanical gardens/parks.

I like Singapore a lot, water is expensive yes...and i feel safe there..nobody ever scammed me in Singapore, i love to go shopping there.

2 hours ago, dunroaming said:

Have you seen the price of a skinny latte in Raffles?

No because the hotel had one of those full automatic real coffeemachines at the buffet...press the button and it makes a real good coffee.

But i don't even know what Raffles is...i like the ice-tea with balls in it..forgot the name for that. It's from the Coffee and Tealeave shop which is also in Central World..So i went to that shop in Central World and ordered that tea, the guy couldn't even speak a word english....what a difference with Singapore!

Edited by fruitman

Stop picking on Thailand!

The world population is victim to scams...

What comes to mind is an old quote from an unknown source.

"If you want to rob a bank, own one!"

If people renting where not so ignorant, they would not have a problem.

2 minutes ago, Kabula said:

Oh I think innocents being surrounded by thugs demanding money with menaces creates more of a problem for people rather than ignorance........just my humble opinion of course

7 hours ago, smedly said:

unfortunately the authorities here are in denial - I actually think they don't believe these scams take place and it's all the imagination of tourists, this is likely backed up by local police are in fact heavily involved.

To the authorities 'denial' is a river in Africa.

26 minutes ago, Kabula said:

Yes - and they should all be exposed just as Thailand is.

9 minutes ago, wvavin said:

It takes the Australians a long time to realize this.

9 minutes ago, wvavin said:

It takes the Australians a long time to realize this.

Not really: it has been well covered in the media. It only got a guernsey this time because the Minister suggested that Pattaya could showcase itself in the forthcoming world JetSki event. She led with her chin, well and truly.

5 hours ago, phitsanulokjohn said:

Jet ski owner to blame for his scamming intentions.

Tourists to blame for their naivety.

Needs both parties for the scam to occur,but I bet the jet ski owner never held a gun at a tourist and said"YOU MUST rent my jet ski"

Live and learn.Bought experience always teaches one more than taught experience.

But the jet ski owner has held a gun to a tourist and said you must pay for damages.

11 hours ago, webfact said:

the Aussie Foreign and Trade Ministry

No such country as Aussie. When you write, please have the decency to respect other countries. The Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade. Not having a go at the 'journalistic' 'stadards' often seen on this site but here's a tip.....GOOGLE. Pity they didn't mention all the kickbacks to BIB, local politicians, mafia running the show etc.

Edited by dinsdale