buy the proper shoes in los

opalred

"Proper"  shoes? Do you mean shoes  that are  comfortable  for  more than a  few days  before  starting to  eat  your  feet or induce  leg cramps? Shoes  that you do not  need  to  commit to the rubbish bin very  quickly? Shoes  that the sole does  not  collapse  within a week of  walking on hot surfaces? Or the  uppers  detaching at   the  Murphy  moment?

Nowhere in the  world  have  I  found  such  shoes  within the  last  20 years at a price  I  could  justify spending.  :stoner:

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, connda said:

Yes.  Figure this one out.  In the US a wear a US 10.  In Thailand I wear a US 12. There must be some trans-dimensional portal that the overseas flight passed through on my way to Thailand that increased by foot size by two sizes.  :wink:  I'm assuming that guys with actually large feet can't find shoes here.

I understand that  quite  a  few  people have a similar issue  with   Thai condoms.  

7 hours ago, natway09 said:

I just go to AmAm where they make for me half boots using half calf skin leather.

They are very comfortable & last 5 years with one new lot of soles

ehhhh.... 5 years ? ya do not get out much do  ya ?

Give Dr. Scholls, a try!  They are sold here.. Use to buy Thai but they didn't last long. Cost is about 900 baht but worth the extra.

Your problem of decline walking I surmise is due to lack of exercise than your shoes.

New Balance, is also known to sell shoes in the wider range.

Edited by thailand49

Yep! You are so right!

Long and narrow shoes here by the millions. But if you think that finding a pair of Sandals that will fit your feet is difficult, you should try to find a set of good safety work boots with steel toes, and like I had to try and do once. I had to settle for a pair of shoes that would fit Ronald McDonald, just to have the width and not having my toe cramped into the steel toe.  Then 4 pairs of tight Thai Socks.

After putting my socks and work boots on in the morning, I was ready to go back to bed.

On 3/8/2017 at 8:05 PM, opalred said:

after 14yrears have found  the shoes you buy in asia will not fit a frang

when i came here i always brought my shoes in oz as i walked everywhere

If a frang doesn't work, go to Oz and try some throngs.  You can frip frop as far as you like.  Note: white sole with black straps is strictly formal wear. No bright colours or patterned in-sole. Please note: throngs are also for recreational purposes, easily converted to a fizbee.

On 3/8/2017 at 8:05 PM, opalred said:

just back from Vietnam and went to a market where millions of shoes on sale

Best pair of shoes I've ever owned were bought in HCMC 5 years ago.

Fit like a glove as soon as I put them on and are still going strong.

Also best pairs of trainers bought in a Ca Mau and Da Nang.

All VN made, local brands.

Edited by LongTimeLurker

I used to work in a large shoe factory in Thailand.

They had different shape shoes for the European market and the Asian market.

Asian feet are broader in relation to length. There might also be a significant difference in the height of the bridge of the foot. Don't know.

Was having problems with my feet but have now cured it.

1) Proper insteps: Dr Scholl had those

2) Never barefoot (even indoors): Slippers with instep inserts

Gone are my aching feet, corns and calluses

I know that my shoe size is 7.5 G.(UK) size, but I have to buy a bigger size here because of foot width...:sad:....I brought my best shoes over from the UK, they must be 30 years old now, leather inside and out with welted leather soles...

The most comfortable footwear I ever had and wore as much as possible were German Paratrooper boots, all leather inside and out, never wore them to weddings though.... :stoner:

50 minutes ago, transam said:

I know that my shoe size is 7.5 G.(UK) size, but I have to buy a bigger size here because of foot width...:sad:....I brought my best shoes over from the UK, they must be 30 years old now, leather inside and out with welted leather soles...

The most comfortable footwear I ever had and wore as much as possible were German Paratrooper boots, all leather inside and out, never wore them to weddings though.... :stoner:

Yeah! I have the same problem as you.

I just didn't know what to expect when I first came here, so didn't think to bring a supply of shoes along. Back then, and if I recall, they also had an Addis Factory around Chang Rai. So I bought a pair of running shoes their as I thought they would fit and be cheaper. Cheaper they were. But fit No!

The best shoes I ever owned were called "Hush Puppies". Not sure if you had them in Europe. I haven't seen them around for many years, so I guess they went out of business or changed names. They were kind of ugly! Buy boy were they ever comfortable!

On 3/12/2017 at 7:47 AM, thailand49 said:

Give Dr. Scholls, a try!  They are sold here.. Use to buy Thai but they didn't last long. Cost is about 900 baht but worth the extra.

Your problem of decline walking I surmise is due to lack of exercise than your shoes.

New Balance, is also known to sell shoes in the wider range.

The New Balance shoes in Thailand seem to top out at U.S. size 12 or 13s, typically.

For people who have arch and such issues and not overly large feet, the regular Verasu stores in BKK have a custom-shoe making service where they'll make casual shoes and sandals to fit.

Also, at least for women's shoes (I'm not sure they make men's styles) there's a Thai produced brand I know that actually produces quality, good foot health, comfortable shoes called Dortmuend. That brand is sold in Central malls, Robinson's, MBK and elsewhere, but they also have their own retail shops in places such as Mega Bangna, etc. I have friends whose jobs involve long stretches on their feet such as nurses who swear by them.

42 minutes ago, GOLDBUGGY said:

The best shoes I ever owned were called "Hush Puppies". Not sure if you had them in Europe. I haven't seen them around for many years, so I guess they went out of business or changed names. They were kind of ugly! Buy boy were they ever comfortable!

Hush Puppies has brand stores in BKK in various of the major malls, last time I looked. But their size range stops at about 12 U.S., and they don't seem to carry the same range of styles here as they do, by comparison, in the U.S.  The Hush Puppy Mall Walker, for example, is a very comfortable, long-lasting shoe, but I'm not sure I've seen it here. (Yep, no Mall Walker model listed in the link Transam provided below.)

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

37 minutes ago, GOLDBUGGY said:

Yeah! I have the same problem as you.

I just didn't know what to expect when I first came here, so didn't think to bring a supply of shoes along. Back then, and if I recall, they also had an Addis Factory around Chang Rai. So I bought a pair of running shoes their as I thought they would fit and be cheaper. Cheaper they were. But fit No!

Click on store locations.

http://www.hushpuppies.co.th/MenLanding.php

43 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Not in my U.S. size 15s, they don't!!!

You really are big and tall!

For you and your shoe size here, maybe try a Tire Factory. Strap some Rubber together with some Bamboo Poles and Rope. A Good Set of All Season Radials should last you a long time.  

2 minutes ago, GOLDBUGGY said:

You really are big and tall!

For you and your shoe size here, maybe try a Tire Factory. Strap some Rubber together with some Bamboo Poles and Rope. A Good Set of All Season Radials should last you a long time.  

Actually, Amazon U.S. and a host of other online shoe retailers will do fine for size 14-16 U.S. sizes.

New Balance in particular is very good for having different sports shoes and walking shoes to fit larger sizes. But you don't find any of those in the NB stores in Thailand.

But as noted above, Thai Customs seems to have a real bug about imported shoes via mail. So definitely avoid FedEx, DHL, etc for any mailed-in shoes. But even via regular Thai Post, there have been times my imported shoes have been dutied, usually in the range of 400 to 600 baht or so, maybe about half of the time. The other half, no duty. If anything, Thai Customs is consistent in their inconsistency.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK