Two students, four teachers killed in bus accident in Prachinburi

webfact

Terrible waste of life again.

Starting to wonder why they bother even reporting these "accidents"

God forbid they let Thais behind the controls of a high speed train. Mr Premier please take note

they will then kill by the hundreds

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tried unsuccessfully to locate stats on bus accidents and the resultant deaths and injuries, but none seem to be available on the Internet. The toll must be horrendous  - particularly among schoolkids - and needs to be publicised to shake the supine Thai public and government into actually DOING something to cut the carnage.

Edited by Krataiboy
ERROR

RIP those who died.  As usual the Thai Visa hatchet mob are out in force accusing the driver of fleeing the scene, whereas in fact he was amongst the injured and was taken to hospital,  and is awaiting a full investigation.  Why not wait for that first?  I know that brake failure is the hackneyed excuse in almost all accidents, but it might just be the case this time, though I suspect it was tiredness if it was the same driver since 9 pm, and that part of the road is dangerously steep in the National Park area and requires total alertness at anytime of the day or night.

7 hours ago, robblok said:

Its a real shame.. but seems nobody really cares. Though occasionally passengers film their complaints and drivers get fined.

They should immediate call in the owners, take the rest of the fleet off the road for intensive checks, freeze the assets of the company until a respectable level of compensation has been paid (if insufficient insurance them company assets sold).

Once the cowardly driver is found he should, along with the owners, be charged with vehicular manslaughter.

Singe driver, driving 6 hrs with limited breaks, too tired, loss of concentration and no vehicle maintenance, driving too fast for road conditions. Official verdict will be brakes, all parties innocent. Case closed

18 minutes ago, ThaiWai said:

...and here come the DB's!

:mfr_closed1:

What are DB' s pray? In Western culture it is common politeness and good manners to offer condolences whether or not one knows the victims. I'm guessing from your monicle  you are Thai so are unaware of this little civilised nicety. 

5 hours ago, webfact said:

it developed braking failure.

4 hours ago, webfact said:

left the road and fell 80 meters near the Thap Lan National Park at 4:30am.

Did they ever think to test the bus for being under the influence? Now THAT would be a new one they could add to their list of excuses. Appalling. But will never change until they value a human life. And when there are consequences for breaking the laws.

Thailand....Get your ass in gear............Get those paid BUNDLES to get their ass in gear to just figure out LOS road problems and to TRAIN folk who are PAID to transport folk a little road INTELLIGENCE...........:coffee1:

Pretty sure i just travelled that road last weekend, it is pretty hairy in a pick up, and loads of buses and big lorries also.A 30m fall, that is a long way down.Unfamiliar with the road and probably pitch black.condolences to all

Another yawn in the Dept. of Transportation. Please excuse my callousness. Of course I feel upset for the victims and the family members too  but my feelings don't seem to transfer to the members of this government which puts more emphasis on tourist levels than it does for the safety of its citizens.

Edited by Tonawatchee
New light

What the hell is a bus loaded with school kids doing on a treacherous piece of road at 4.30am...repeat 4.30am? ......how long had the driver been at the wheel?...these questions and many more will never be answered

2 minutes ago, KIWIBATCH said:

What the hell is a bus loaded with school kids doing on a treacherous piece of road at 4.30am...repeat 4.30am? ......how long had the driver been at the wheel?...these questions and many more will never be answered

My guess is it was a day trip, so they had to leave early. Incredible distance for a day trip though.

2 hours ago, Notadoctor said:

You have no idea, do you......driver run away from any incident so as to avoid any bail complications . they need the insurance rep to be there before the police.......do I need to explain why?

it is also worth noting that the driver is "recovering" and has spoken to the police.....heaven forbid any of that should interfere with your determination to lay preconceived blame--------

We can indeed.... it's unlawful to leave the scene of the accident.... preconceived bail complications are irrelevant... the BiB should lawfully be able to place the driver in custody immediately, not when he decides to turn himself in.

running is universally seen as an admission of guilt.... the driver should have stayed to render assistance, vs run from his responsibility ( you know the saying about the captain going down with his ship... an honorable captain is amongst the last to leave)

54 minutes ago, flyingdoc said:

RIP those who died.  As usual the Thai Visa hatchet mob are out in force accusing the driver of fleeing the scene, whereas in fact he was amongst the injured and was taken to hospital,  and is awaiting a full investigation.  Why not wait for that first?  I know that brake failure is the hackneyed excuse in almost all accidents, but it might just be the case this time, though I suspect it was tiredness if it was the same driver since 9 pm, and that part of the road is dangerously steep in the National Park area and requires total alertness at anytime of the day or night.

Quite right... blurry sharp curves, hills and ravines.

they should bulldoze the hills into the ravines, flattening the road, and enabling a straighter roadway, thereby removing the need for sharp curves

obvious really.... how dare we point an accusatory finger at the person responsible for the safety of his passengers.... shame on us... shame!

Forty plus years ago I did driver training as had under my control killer vehicles....Forty years back in the UK........This place is a laugh, but folk here are paid to control............:coffee1:

Edited by transam

My entire working career in my home country was operating long distance full size tour coaches. Thus, I feel reasonably well qualified to offer my comments about this accident.

Any other coach operators or professional drivers in the Forum, please feel free to back me up on this post.

IMHO, this is almost certainly down to driver error. Starting an all night drive at 9pm is always one of the biggest challenges facing any driver, whether it be car/truck or coach. At 3am your body's metabolism is at absolute rock bottom.

It's unknown yet whether this particular driver went to bed at 11am and slept until 7pm, thus reporting for duty refreshed and ready to go at 9pm. That would be the normal prerequisite "back home".

If he had no sleep all day, then it's unsurprising that by 3am his brain was in sleep mode, and making poor decisions.

Doing overnighters is not unusual for the coach industry. It's convenient for the group hiring the coach, and is no big deal for the company .... provided the drivers start fresh. Very often 2 drivers are used for overnight trips. You just price this into the job quote.

Modern tour coaches have very comfortable air conditioned sleeper cubicles for a 2nd driver. It's amazing how quickly you get rocked to sleep in them when it's your turn not to drive.

It's unclear whether this was a day trip from KK to the coast. Doubtful, due to the distance involved. I hope not, as even with 2 drivers, neither of them would've got any sleep in a hot coach at the beachside carpark for the return trip.

Anyway .... without knowing any more facts than everybody else here, it appears to me that the most likely cause will simply be driver fatigue.

Brake failure is a total crock. Modern tour coaches have some nifty safety features that perhaps I'll elaborate on in another post.

6 hours ago, cardinalblue said:

So there was no service/maintenance done before a mountainous trip?

still wonder if speed was a factor?

always an excuse to save face...

descending a steep hill with brake failure.... I'd say speed was a factor wouldn't you??

1 minute ago, electric said:

Brake failure is a total crock. Modern tour coaches have some nifty safety features that perhaps I'll elaborate on in another post.

Considering that maintenance is as high priority as safety, I wonder if brake failure could be a factor. That road has sand traps for vehicles that can't make the corners. Don't trucks and buses have air brakes that can fail?

I remember years ago a bus driver phoned the company from Khorat telling them the brakes were faulty. He was told to keep going, over 20 people died close to Pak Chong. Driver was charged, but no company.

1 hour ago, Smithson said:

Considering that maintenance is as high priority as safety, I wonder if brake failure could be a factor. That road has sand traps for vehicles that can't make the corners. Don't trucks and buses have air brakes that can fail?

I remember years ago a bus driver phoned the company from Khorat telling them the brakes were faulty. He was told to keep going, over 20 people died close to Pak Chong. Driver was charged, but no company.

There are 2 Type of Brake Systems  on most Trucks, Buses Operating on Most Asian Hi/ways,

The Widow Maker Air over Hyd System, No Air No Brake Japanese Special,  Most casual Bus drivers are not familiar with this system although being here in Asia for over 40 years, The Drivers tend to keep their foot on the Brake Pedal @ idle speed & run out of Air due to The Bus or Truck is in the wrong Gear can be 2nd or 3rd  without enough Engine RPM to keep the Air Compressor charging the Air Tanks Death Trap, 

The Western  style WABCO Brake System Full Air Double acting Brake manual spring chambers No air Brake Lock on & you are going no where as need max depending on the application 100psi to fully release the Brake Chambers,

The Japs that invented the Air Over Hyd Brakes should be all charged with manslaughter as their stupid Cheap invention & even today you have Option when you purchase Hino, Mitsu, Isuzu on Type of Brake system,

Reason We call the Air over Hyd (dot 3 brake fluid) widow makers, However if Drivers regardless Bus or Truck drivers were Trained Properly would have less accidents, Also as per Preventive Maintenance all Transporting & Bus Companies must Change the Brake D3 Fluid @ 60,000Km  as breaks down & changes to Liquid,

Ahh Long Story

Caterpillar For Life

^ have you seen the sand traps on windy, mountainous roads here? They seem to get a fair bit of use, as there are also always tire tracks. There are also yt clips showing what appears to be buses on LOS losing their brakes and plowing through cars.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ II using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, Smithson said:

My guess is it was a day trip, so they had to leave early. Incredible distance for a day trip though.

I travelled that section of the road at the weekend with my school on our way to a tour around Pattaya. It would not have been a day trip at all. My wife's friend died in the accident. What normally happens on these kind of school tours from the north to the south, and possibly vice verser, is that the Bus or buses leave the school between 6pm and 9pm and arrive at the destination in the early morning between 6am and 8am. Everyone then has a chance to  shower and freshen up, before the official tour of the area begins. Then everyone sleeps overnight in the tour destination. The following day, we carry on with our tour, which is organised, so we are heading back all the time. We normally begin our final leg home in mid afternoon and arrive back at school  between midnight and 3 am. 

From my experience with many schools trips like this, we have always had 2 drivers and we had plenty of pitstops (toilet breaks or to buy snacks) either way. 

As mentioned above, we travelled that section of the road both ways (5 buses), going we all arrived in convoy, but coming back we had problems only 3 buses arrive back in convoy, 2 of the buses developed clutch problems at different points of the journey. In the end, we all arrive home safely, with the last buses arrive 5 hours after the first.

9 hours ago, webfact said:

But as the bus was descending the steep hill section near KM 208 of the highway which is a sharp curve with the ravine on the right and steep hill on the left, it developed braking failure.

The bus lost balance, skidded and crashed into the traffic barrier and a high-voltage power pole and plunged into the ravine 30 metres below.

These bloody buses! They develop brake failures all on their own. They lose balance at all the wrong moments. And they crash causing deaths. Something has to be done about them.