Thai banks with greater than a 20KB per withdrawal max?

If you've noticed, some Thai banks now have limited how much you can withdraw per withdrawal on your foreign debit card, no matter what the limit your home bank sets on the card, eg: Kasikorn sets a 20K limit even though my home bank allows 60K a day. I'd call this a scam since there's a 200B flat fee on each withdrawal so forcing more withdrawals increases Thai bank profits.

Is there a Thai bank that lets you withdraw above 20K per withdrawal? (perhaps 30-60K)

(footnote: I'm applying for a Thai retirement visa and have to have a ~250K balance in a Thai bank.)

But do you understand I'm talking about using a foreign ATM card, not a Kasikorn card. I'm trying to transfer money into my Kasikorn account from my US bank using the US bank's debit card, and Kasikorn has a 20K withdrawal limit on non Thai ATM debit cards.

I move this from Bangkok to ... banking subforum.

Very often discussed.

Bangkok Bank 25k, Krungsri and TMB allow 30k and ? forgot.

30k is the highest I am aware.

This is neither new nor a scam.

Even with banks own Thai ATM cards you can not withdraw more.

The standard ATMs simply do not allow to spit more then 20, 25 or 30 notes.

The only scam is AEON that reduced to 20k although their huge ATMs would allow 100 notes. They changed that when they joined the crew of ATM fee ripping banks.

Regarding just some higher than Bt20K:  Krungsri and TMB allow Bt30K....Bangkok Bank Bt25K.

None higher than Bt30K per ATM transaction.  To get more than Bt30K you must do a counter withdrawal with your card...the Thai bank employees may refer to this as a "cash advance" vs counter withdrawal whether you are using a debit or credit card.   I know when I go into the Krungsri and Bangkok Bank branches I use to do counter advances they refer to it as a cash advance whether I'm using my debit or credit card.

3 minutes ago, HooHaa said:

bangkok bank is limited to 20

Bangkok Bank allows 25 bills to be dispensed in one pull at all there ATM's AFAIK (have been doing so for decades).  If they have 1k bills you can get 25k per pull.  But you have to indicate that amount on screen as it is not a normal one-key selection.  

3 minutes ago, HooHaa said:

bangkok bank is limited to 20

The last time I used my foreign debit card in a Bangkok Bank ATM which was about 9 months ago, it allowed Bt25K.  Guess it changed unless the ATMs you were using were just in high use areas where the limit was lowered to prevent the ATM from running out too offen.

7 minutes ago, Pib said:

The last time I used my foreign debit card in a Bangkok Bank ATM which was about 9 months ago, it allowed Bt25K.  Guess it changed unless the ATMs you were using were just in high use areas where the limit was lowered to prevent the ATM from running out too offen.

perhaps, different machines can dispense different maximum amounts as well.

to lopburi, i suspect you might be correct, if so i have wasted some time

If you need to withdraw larger sums then do as Pib and CharlieH suggested and go inside the bank and use the counter service. They don't have these low limits. At some banks there are higher/unlimited limits in the morning compared to afternoon. At least that was my experience at a BKK Bank branch some time ago when I wanted to withdraw a few hundred thousand baht.

But be sure to know the limit set "by your card-issuing bank."   While the Thai bank you go into to do a counter withdrawal may have no limit or a very high limit, your card-issuing bank will surely have a limit.  

Like the various U.S. debit cards I have only allow a $1,000 per day limit (approx Bt35K) whether using an ATM or at a counter.   But a credit card I have and use for counter withdrawals (a no foreign transaction fee and not cash advance fee credit card) allows $1,000/day at an ATM but $2,000/day at the counter...or,  you can do both ways and get $3,000 for they day.

Can be kinda embarrassing to walk into a Thai bank to do a counter withdrawal, say you ask for $2,000 (approx Bt70K) but the transaction rejects because "your card-issuing bank" rejects the transaction as over-limit.  Seen a lot of ThaiVisa posts over the years putting the blame on the Thai bank for the rejection when the rejection actually came from the person's home country bank.  

Yeap, know the card limits set by the card-issuing bank.

Pib: all good points. I might add to that that in emergency situations you might be able to temporarily raise/lift the limit of your card with your home bank via telephone. Happened to me when I urgently had to book a flight but my credit card limit was not allowing the transaction. Also good point on the "cash advance" fee, better check beforehand as that might be also quite a bit.

Oh and because you seem to be trying to withdraw cash with your foreign card to then deposit into your Thai bank account: why not do a normal wire transer to your Thai account? Probably faster and cheaper.

7 minutes ago, Shawn0000 said:

You could withdraw 60K at a time inside the branch or you could do an international bank transfer of the full amount.

I've done  Bt105K using two cards in one setting inside the branch...Bt70K with one card and Bt35K with another card---the counter withdrawal limit will mostly depend on your "card-issuing bank" limit as the Thai bank limit will probably be much higher.

I remember a post from several years ago from a very credible ThaiVisa poster who did a Bt200K counter withdrawal as his foreign card had a higher than usual counter withdrawal limit (around $5,000).

I've done 200,000. Baht at KTB. I should mention I have a good relationship with said bank branch and deposited said amount directly into my account there. It's based on of course the limit set, if any, by your bank and in the case of a Debit card, it of course must have the VISA logo and funds sufficient to be approved. I think your situation is easy to resolve assuming you have the money. 

16 minutes ago, Pib said:

I've done  Bt105K using two cards in one setting inside the branch...Bt70K with one card and Bt35K with another card---the counter withdrawal limit will mostly depend on your "card-issuing bank" limit as the Thai bank limit will probably be much higher.

I remember a post from several years ago from a very credible ThaiVisa poster who did a Bt200K counter withdrawal as his foreign card had a higher than usual counter withdrawal limit (around $5,000).

That's why I said 60k, as that is what the OP said his limit was.

As I understand the system. MOST ATM machines are limited to 20 bills. That doesn't mean a 20,000 baht limit. If your account has a higher daily limit, you can use the ATM several times. 

Why on earth not open a Thai bank account? You may still be limited to 20K a pull but at 0-20 baht fee per time depending in the ATM you use.

As for getting money from your home country to your Thai account, many prior threads on best to do that.

Why on earth not open a Thai bank account? You may still be limited to 20K a pull but at 0-20 baht fee per time depending in the ATM you use.

As for getting money from your home country to your Thai account, many prior threads on best to do that.

Post #3: he has a Kasikorn account .

So why he doesn't do an international transfer is a mystery ?

9 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Post #3: he has a Kasikorn account .

So why he doesn't do an international transfer is a mystery ?

Actually it may not be available - one of my US banks requires advance in person signing of general wire transfer agreement to allow any such transfers - and then setting up the actual transfer can be problematic with some banking systems that require one time PIN or phone access.  

Plus, it would need to be a SWIFT/wire transfer since the OP has a K-bank account and the great majority of U.S. banks charge a healthy SWIFT/wire transfer fee usually in the $30 to $50 ballpark.  But if the OP had  a Bangkok Bank account he could accomplish a low cost ACH transfer fee (ACH is the primary funds transfer method used in the U.S.) as Bangkok Bank is the only Thai bank with ACH receiving capability.

Thanks to all. Yes, "it's a complex world". Normally I'd have tried to do a SWIFT transfer, but that's a lot of hassle in my experience (I've done 2) so I was willing to do 7 (x30K) or so ATM withdrawals at 200B a pop instead just to get things set up for my retirement visa. The 20K limit still applies within the bank (vs an ATM machine). I *think* there's the same withdrawal fee if you do it *that* way too, since they have to use the ATM card to do the transfer (at least I thought that's what the rep said). I'll double check though. Banks....:post-4641-1156693976: ("bank robber" takes on an ironic meaning)

That's funny, I've never encountered this. I use a VISA card issued by my credit union in the U.S. Every month, on at least two days I routinely withdraw ฿34,000 baht. First withdrawal ฿20,000, because the ATM has a limit of ฿25,000 per withdrawal, then a second withdrawal of ฿14,000 because my card has a limit of $1,000. I use whatever ATM happens to be handy, BKK Bank, Kasikorn Bank, Krung Thai, SCB, never had a ฿20,000 limit imposed. By the way, the exchange rate seems to be determined by the issuing bank. I usually get at least as good as the rate posted by the SCB exchange rate site for TT transfers, and often better, no matter what bank's ATM I use.

The 

16 minutes ago, Acharn said:

That's funny, I've never encountered this. I use a VISA card issued by my credit union in the U.S. Every month, on at least two days I routinely withdraw ฿34,000 baht. First withdrawal ฿20,000, because the ATM has a limit of ฿25,000 per withdrawal, then a second withdrawal of ฿14,000 because my card has a limit of $1,000. I use whatever ATM happens to be handy, BKK Bank, Kasikorn Bank, Krung Thai, SCB, never had a ฿20,000 limit imposed. By the way, the exchange rate seems to be determined by the issuing bank. I usually get at least as good as the rate posted by the SCB exchange rate site for TT transfers, and often better, no matter what bank's ATM I use.

The exchange rate is set by VISA and can be obtained on the web.  Believe issue was ATM allowing only 20k per pull rather than being limited to 20k per day (that limit is set by your home back as you state).  But some ATM's do physically allow more than 20k withdrawals if they have stock of 1k notes (but very few).

Archived