Thai banks with greater than a 20KB per withdrawal max?

18 hours ago, dblaisde said:

But do you understand I'm talking about using a foreign ATM card, not a Kasikorn card. I'm trying to transfer money into my Kasikorn account from my US bank using the US bank's debit card, and Kasikorn has a 20K withdrawal limit on non Thai ATM debit cards.

You're transferring from the US.  Open an account with BKK bank and use their domestic ACH transfer service through Bangkok Bank NY.  http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/DailyBanking/TransferingFunds/TransferringIntoThailand/ReceivingFundsfromUSA/Pages/ReceivingFundsfromUSA.aspx

Thai and US banks (all bank for that matter) get you coming and going.  You just need to do your homework to figure out what approach will cost you less in the long run. 

Go to a money exchange counter and ask to withdraw 20,000 on your debit card. You can do this several times and you don't get charged like you do to use an ATM.

If the teller will only let you do this once go to another and do it again. 

It will show on your home banks statement as an international purchase. 

You'll need your passport to withdraw. 

Actually I think its pretty common practice. Not something particular to Thailand. But if you can't get it from the ATM, you can just go into the branch office and do it with no limit as far as I know.

If u have a US address to use u could open an online currency exchange account with worldfirst.com or xe.com to transfer funds directly into your Kasikorn account. Fee free transfers. I found Worldfirst.com to give a better rate.

3 hours ago, Acharn said:

That's funny, I've never encountered this. I use a VISA card issued by my credit union in the U.S. Every month, on at least two days I routinely withdraw ฿34,000 baht. First withdrawal ฿20,000, because the ATM has a limit of ฿25,000 per withdrawal, then a second withdrawal of ฿14,000 because my card has a limit of $1,000. I use whatever ATM happens to be handy, BKK Bank, Kasikorn Bank, Krung Thai, SCB, never had a ฿20,000 limit imposed. By the way, the exchange rate seems to be determined by the issuing bank. I usually get at least as good as the rate posted by the SCB exchange rate site for TT transfers, and often better, no matter what bank's ATM I use.

Limit is set on most banks ATM, no way that you withdraw 24000 everywhere.

21 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

I move this from Bangkok to ... banking subforum.

Very often discussed.

Bangkok Bank 25k, Krungsri and TMB allow 30k and ? forgot.

30k is the highest I am aware.

This is neither new nor a scam.

Even with banks own Thai ATM cards you can not withdraw more.

The standard ATMs simply do not allow to spit more then 20, 25 or 30 notes.

The only scam is AEON that reduced to 20k although their huge ATMs would allow 100 notes. They changed that when they joined the crew of ATM fee ripping banks.

Exactly, everything is correct and clear in your reply.

Unlikely it has anything to do with your using your non-Thai card; it's KKB's standard withdrawal limit. 

BBL offers a higher limit and better FX rates. But - and it might be a stupid question - why don't you simply TT the funds to your Thai account? I'm assuming you have one?

And I might have missed something in translation, but a retirement visa needs K800 on deposit, not K250.

3 hours ago, Acharn said:

That's funny, I've never encountered this. I use a VISA card issued by my credit union in the U.S. Every month, on at least two days I routinely withdraw ฿34,000 baht. First withdrawal ฿20,000, because the ATM has a limit of ฿25,000 per withdrawal, then a second withdrawal of ฿14,000 because my card has a limit of $1,000. I use whatever ATM happens to be handy, BKK Bank, Kasikorn Bank, Krung Thai, SCB, never had a ฿20,000 limit imposed. By the way, the exchange rate seems to be determined by the issuing bank. I usually get at least as good as the rate posted by the SCB exchange rate site for TT transfers, and often better, no matter what bank's ATM I use.

The limit isn't daily, it's per withdrawal, though up to a daily limit. 

22 hours ago, HooHaa said:

perhaps, different machines can dispense different maximum amounts as well.

to lopburi, i suspect you might be correct, if so i have wasted some time

SCB ATM;s I have been able to withdraw 20k at some of their ATMs and 25k at other locations.

22 hours ago, HooHaa said:

perhaps, different machines can dispense different maximum amounts as well.

to lopburi, i suspect you might be correct, if so i have wasted some time

2 main reasons why machines may dispense less than their theoretical maximum per pull:

1) they are out of one or more denomination of note.  

2) They have been intentionally programmed to be less.

Some banks let you know at the 'enter amount of withdraw' screen the max THB withdraw allowed and which notes are available.   Sometimes, it is not until after you attempt a withdraw, if there are insufficient notes, the next screen will say "sorry this machine can only dispense xxx and xxx THB notes.  Please re-enter amount.  Make sure you take into account your home bank's daily limits, and what time they reset the limit (midnight, after the nightly backup, etc).

The atms are pretty well stocked, especially if attached to bank, mall, or in high traffic area.  But in smaller towns where there is only one ATM, you roll the dice.

My experience is 25k max for Bangkok Bank, 30K max for Bank of Ayudhya (Krung Sri) and TMB.  And I think CIMB may also have 30k max withdrawal limit; haven't tried in a long time.

18 hours ago, dblaisde said:

Thanks to all. Yes, "it's a complex world". Normally I'd have tried to do a SWIFT transfer, but that's a lot of hassle in my experience (I've done 2) so I was willing to do 7 (x30K) or so ATM withdrawals at 200B a pop instead just to get things set up for my retirement visa. The 20K limit still applies within the bank (vs an ATM machine). I *think* there's the same withdrawal fee if you do it *that* way too, since they have to use the ATM card to do the transfer (at least I thought that's what the rep said). I'll double check though. Banks....:post-4641-1156693976: ("bank robber" takes on an ironic meaning)

I'm confused by your saying there's still the 20K limit even for counter withdrawals.  I've never had this happen, and my suspicion is that there was some kind of misunderstanding involved.  If you're talking about using the Thai bank's own ATM card at that bank's counter for a withdrawal, I guess they could make a case for imposing the limit and charging the ATM fee, but if you walk in with your bank book and passport and make the withdrawal using that I don't see how they can do so. (I'm not even sure that most Thai banks will even transact a counter withdrawal from one's own account there without the bank book & pp, ATM card in hand or no.)    I've always seen the B20K withdrawal limit as a "good" thing, esp. if you have alerts set up on your phone so you're notified everytime a withdrawal is made. It helps combat illegitimate access to your account.  (It would be even better, IMO, if you could go online and just disable ATM access entirely and just re-enable it when you actually plan on making a withdrawal.)  When running that down, make sure you're distinguishing between the limit on each individual transaction, and the daily limit. I don't use ATMs that way, but I was under the impression that while the transaction limit is usually B20K, the daily limit can be higher, B40K or B50K.

In my limited experience, wire transfer capability is something that can require homework on both ends.  Different banks back home will do things differently from each other.  There are some that will require a faxed form every time you want to transfer money; others a phonecall; others let you do it online with maybe a OTP involved; some charge fees, some don't or won't if your account is large enough.  Setting the whole thing up for repeated transfers over time can be a one-time process but one that requires specific information from the receiving bank on the Thai end.  My transfers now just require a phonecall during business hours back home and the money's in my Thai account shortly after banks open the next morning, but there definitely was a "process" getting that set up before I could make any transfers.  If you have no longer have an address back home, I guess that can add to the complexity depending on your financial institution there.

Finally, some credit and debit cards come with privileges such as no foreign transaction fees and reimbursement for ATM fees (with maybe a monthly reimbursement limit).  Some don't.  Some credit cards charge a cash advance fee, while others just charge exorbitant interest on an outstanding balance (so if you go online and transfer funds to pay off that balance immediately, you end up paying little or nothing).

Oh, and Thai banks do charge a small fee even in their own ATMs using their own ATM card if you are outside your "home region", i.e., the region where you actually established the account.  I don't think I've ever done a counter withdrawal using my passbook outside the home region though, so not sure if they tack on the extra fee or not.

Firstly a retirement 'visa'  (extension) does not require about 250k balance in a Thai bank, it is 800k  baht seasoned for 60 days first year and 90 on renewals. Then if you have a local account withdrawals are free, and you avoid the charge on using a foreign ATM card. You should look to open a local account using say a tourist visa or Non-Imm O, then make a larger transfer into this.

My UK Bank makes these very easy.

24 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Firstly a retirement 'visa'  (extension) does not require about 250k balance in a Thai bank, it is 800k  baht seasoned for 60 days first year and 90 on renewals. Then if you have a local account withdrawals are free, and you avoid the charge on using a foreign ATM card. You should look to open a local account using say a tourist visa or Non-Imm O, then make a larger transfer into this.

My UK Bank makes these very easy.

He has read the op

On ‎3‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 9:02 PM, Pib said:

Regarding just some higher than Bt20K:  Krungsri and TMB allow Bt30K....Bangkok Bank Bt25K.

None higher than Bt30K per ATM transaction.  To get more than Bt30K you must do a counter withdrawal with your card...the Thai bank employees may refer to this as a "cash advance" vs counter withdrawal whether you are using a debit or credit card.   I know when I go into the Krungsri and Bangkok Bank branches I use to do counter advances they refer to it as a cash advance whether I'm using my debit or credit card.

Bangkok Bank allows only Bht 20K withdrawal a time.

1 hour ago, bandito said:

Bangkok Bank allows only Bht 20K withdrawal a time.

Not based on my personal experience and others who posted "earlier" in this thread....scan the earlier posts.  Bt25K is allowed although you may find some high use Bangkok Bank ATMs set to a lower amount (like in areas where lots of farang tourist exist) to keep them from running out too soon.

Just now, Gonefortea said:

No it let's you have 25k at one time but if you put your card back in you can get another 25k total 50k in a day.

Actually you also have control of that daily local limit and can set to a different amount..

Just now, lopburi3 said:

Actually you also have control of that daily local limit and can set to a different amount..

Quite possible never bothered looking. Usually if I need more than 25k I go into bank itself. But 50k is sometimes easier to get out of machine if bank is busy.

Just came from using a Bangkok Bank ATM...it allows 25K.

Now Bangkok Bank ATMS don't specifically say 25K max; 'instead they tell you the max number of 1000, 500, and/or Notes it will dispense which is 25 notes which means a max of 25 one thousand baht notes...a.k.a., 25K max. I've done it several times.

2 minutes ago, Pib said:

Just came from using a Bangkok Bank ATM...it allows 25K.

Now Bangkok Bank ATMS don't specifically say 25K max; 'instead they tell you the max number of 1000, 500, and/or Notes it will dispense which is 25 notes which means a max of 25 one thousand baht notes...a.k.a., 25K max. I've done it several times.

Yes that's right. But put your card back in and you can do another 25 so 50 in a day 

Yes that's right. But put your card back in and you can do another 25 so 50 in a day 

The aggregate amount per day will depend on the daily limit you have set. For a Bangkok Bank debit card the default value is 50K/day. But by contacting the bank you can lower or raise it. Below is a quote from the Bkk Bk website.

"Set your maximum daily limit – 5,000Bt, 20,000Bt, 50,000Bt, 100,000Bt or 150,000Bt – by calling Bualuang Phone 1333"

Now that I'm back home on the computer vs my smartphone, taking another look at the Bangkok Bank website and actually calling the 1333 number where you can change your daily cash withdrawal limit, the minimum value is Bt50K (the default) and then your are offered several other selections up to Bt500K/per day if you are brave.  

And you can also change your daily purchase limit...it's a separate setting...that setting ranges from zero to Bt150K.

I just finished calling the Bangkok Bank 1333 central number to check confirm my daily cash withdrawal limit for my Be1st Visa Rabbit debit card which I had setup to Bt50K (the default) when getting the card, but over the phone you can change it up to Bt500K if you are brave.  Would hate to have your card comprised with a Bt500K per day cash withdrawal setting.

And I have my purchase daily limit set to only Bt20K. Although the info below shows the minimum daily purchase limit  you can set as Bt5K, you can actually set the purchase limit to zero....I've done it before and you are offered that choice during call....actually you are just turning off the purchasing authorization....but you can turn it back on when desired and select various daily limits.  But to repeat the cash withdrawal daily limit lowest setting amount is Bt50K.

I expect other Thai bank debit cards have various values you can set your for cash withdrawal and purchases.   

Yea, if  you have a Bangkok Bank debit card, just call 1333 and listen closely to the automated instructions...the automated voice instructions walk you right through checking your current cash and purchase limit settings... and also walk you right through changing them.  It works...I've done it couple of times over the years to include just a few minutes ago to listen to the cash withdrawal selections.

Capture.JPG

I dont think anyone has mentioned the most important thing about using a foreign card to withdraw cash from a Thai ATM or an ATM anywhere in the World. And that is to say 'NO' to any exchange rate offered by the ATM. The rate offered is abysmal and nowhere near the Mastercrcard, Visa, etc., rate you will get if you decline it. Many people think you have to accept it to get your money but you do not.

• 1 year later...
On ‎3‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 9:26 PM, SunsetT said:

I dont think anyone has mentioned the most important thing about using a foreign card to withdraw cash from a Thai ATM or an ATM anywhere in the World. And that is to say 'NO' to any exchange rate offered by the ATM. The rate offered is abysmal and nowhere near the Mastercrcard, Visa, etc., rate you will get if you decline it. Many people think you have to accept it to get your money but you do not.

Recently I did a 30K baht withdrawal from a TMB ATM.  It offered to convert it for me with a $1,050 US total.  Of course I declined it.  Then at home I checked my account and they had taken $960 US for the transaction.  Accepting the thai bank conversion would have been a $90 additional 'fee'.  Far worse of a ripoff than the 220 baht transaction fee.

• 8 months later...
On 3/10/2017 at 3:42 PM, misterphil said:

Go to a money exchange counter and ask to withdraw 20,000 on your debit card. You can do this several times and you don't get charged like you do to use an ATM.

If the teller will only let you do this once go to another and do it again. 

It will show on your home banks statement as an international purchase. 

You'll need your passport to withdraw. 

Does this really work and not be charged as a "cash advance"? Can anyone else confirm?

Archived