No delays as Suvarnabhumi runway repairs continue - but they have some tasty snacks just in case

webfact

No delays as Suvarnabhumi runway repairs continue - but they have some tasty snacks just in case

4am.jpg

Picture: Thairath

BANGKOK: -- Director of operations at Suvarnabhumi airport Sirot Duangrat said that there have been no delays in the first week of repairs to the eastern runway and the B1 taxiway.

But just in case there are in the future he has organized some tasty snacks to keep the tourists happy, Thairath reported.

Sirot said that in the period from March 3rd to 8th there were 752 flights on average daily and that of those 715 were international and 237 domestic. Average daily passenger load was 171,000 persons with 140,000 international travelers and 31,000 internal users.

He said that if passengers did experience delays in the future of between one hour and one and a half hours they would get a tasty complimentary snack box.

If the delay was longer, up to three hours, he would give them a snack box AND a drink.

But if the delay was over three hours passengers would be entitled to a hot meal as well as a drink.

Latest flight information can be accessed on 1722 on a 24 hour basis.

Source: Thairath

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-03-10

My mother flew out of Bangkok Airport (I don't use the other name as it's nonsense) heading back to Europe late Tuesday night and there were no issues or delays whatsoever.

It was a busy time as well as all the overnight long haul flights were leaving.

18 minutes ago, Nigeone said:

Something wrong with the maths on figures their quoting there !! Anyone else throw any light on those figures which don't get close to suggested by TAT reported numbers!

You will have to elaborate. Did TAT put out a report on the average of ALL inbound and outbound travelers over this 5 day period at Suvarnabhumi airport?

An approximate average of 140,000 international travelers per day during this 5-day period. Assuming 1/2 were inbound that would be 70,000 which multiplied by 365 days would equate to 25 Million arrivals a day at this airport without taking any consideration to seasonal and holiday changes. We don't know how many of these people are Thai and of course this doesn't include all the other entry points for tourists into Thailand especially those from neighboring countries.

Oh, goody. I hope they have shredded pork in stale bread! My favourite snack to help ease the pain of waiting in a long line looking at unmanned passport control counters. As we eat this snack, we can contantly ask each other why there's so few available counters. Aroi aroi! 

1 hour ago, webfact said:

If the delay was longer, up to three hours, he would give them a snack box AND a drink.

Beyond six hours, up to 10 hours - a snack box, a drink AND a toilet roll......AND so on.....AND so forth......:coffee1:

My mother flew out of Bangkok Airport (I don't use the other name as it's nonsense) heading back to Europe late Tuesday night and there were no issues or delays whatsoever.

Suvarnabhumi is the name. No more nonsensical than other non-English named airports in foreign countries. Don't let your British superiority get the best of you.

3 hours ago, ukrules said:

Bangkok Airport? Was that Don Muang or Suvarnabhumi? The runway repairs are only affecting Suvarnabhumi.

Edited by bubba

10 minutes ago, fruitman said:

Why not upgrade to European standards? Flight delays of more than 3 hours EVERY passenger gets 300 euro cash, more than 5 hours and they all get 600 euro cash.

My flight was once delayed by 10 hours in Europe and I got NOTHING!

Well OK, there were a chair at the airport I could sit and wait it.

1 minute ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

My flight was once delayed by 10 hours in Europe and I got NOTHING!

Well OK, there were a chair at the airport I could sit and wait it.

You have to claim it and there are even legal agencies specialized in that, no cure no pay. They do it for a percentage. Maybe you still can claim it.

I once had delay of 6 hours for an Emiratesflight to Dubai, claimed the 600 euro but didn't get reply for 10 days or so..After that they immediatly booked the money onto my bankaccount.

They have to do it by law but of course are not happy with it. In my case there was smoke coming out of the engine of the new A380 so they let some technicians fly in to check that. That bill should be for Airbus i guess.

If there's delay with an A380 it's terrible cause there are not enough seats at the gates. They are designed for smaller planes.

But we got sandwiches and free water...

Now i also have a travelinsurance which i can use in case of extreme delay...i have to read the policy for that though, i forgot what they would do for me.

“If the delay was longer, up to three hours, he would give them a snack box AND a drink.

Nothing makes 3 hours go by more quickly than a shredded dried pork sandwich on stale bread and a small bottle of water. HMMMMM...My mouth is just watering praying and hoping for a long delay of my next flight. 

1 hour ago, jerojero said:

Suvarnabhumi is the name. No more nonsensical than other non-English named airports in foreign countries. Don't let your British superiority get the best of you.

Heathrow? What does Heathrow mean?

I am calling it London Airport.

10 minutes ago, bubba said:

Heathrow? What does Heathrow mean?

I am calling it London Airport.

Heathrow Airport derives its name from a hamlet called Heath Row, which was obliterated during the construction of the airport. The hamlet of Heath Row was on the western part of Hounslow Heath and lay along a road that ran in a southerly direction from near the Magpies Inn on the bath Road at Sipson in the Parish of Harmondsworth. 

:wai:

4 hours ago, ukrules said:

My mother flew out of Bangkok Airport (I don't use the other name as it's nonsense)

FYI Bangkok International Airport is located at Don Meuang. This story has nothing to do with the Airport in Samut Prakarn

14 minutes ago, wirat69 said:

FYI Bangkok International Airport is located at Don Meuang. This story has nothing to do with the Airport in Samut Prakarn

I think you will find that Suvarnabhumi Airport is referred to as (New)Bangkok International Airport  (BKK)and the older airport is known as Don Mueang International Airport. (DMK) (Sometimes referred to as Old Bkk I A.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suvarnabhumi_Airport

This topic is about runway repairs at Suvarnabhumi I.A., located in Samut Prakan province.

Has anyone here worked in an airport, or know anything about flight time planning.  They cannot simply cause large numbers of the flights to be delayed an hour or more without causing problems to the airports to which these planes are flying, or can they?  Does anyone know ?

5 hours ago, webfact said:

But if the delay was over three hours passengers would be entitled to a hot meal as well as a drink.

That will be a great consolation to those travellers who have a connection in the ME of less than three hours.

My transit time in Doha when I return to Europe at the end of the month is two hours. And as far as I know, Qatar only operate a couple of flights a day to Athens. Just checked - make that three a day. If I were to miss my connection, I would have an eight hour wait for the next flight.

Still, I'd get a free hot meal and a drink, which would make everything ok!

Except for the fact that by the time I arrived in Athens on the later flight and cleared customs and immigration, the last train to my final destination would probably have left, which would mean I'd have to book a hotel in Athens (not cheap, particularly when you include meals etc) and stay there overnight.

But I'd have got a free hot meal and a drink!

6 hours ago, colinneil said:

Tasty snacks, will that be som tam?

Tas Ty is a version of Thai that means similar to tasty bugs. I'm sure that those numbers are correct when using Thai math; sorta similar to new math where a 300 lb lady is the new 200 lb lady. Doesn't mean all that much till you got to eat one; Tas Ty snack.

4 hours ago, bubba said:

Bangkok Airport? Was that Don Muang or Suvarnabhumi? The runway repairs are only affecting Suvarnabhumi.

Bangkok Airport is the old name for Don Muang Airport. Good luck to this man, he seems to need it.

5 hours ago, jerojero said:

He probably says "London Airport" when referring to Heathrow.

I'd say calling it Bangkok Airport is nonsense since Bangkok Airport would more accurately describe Don Muang and Suvnarabhumi is actually Samut Prakan Airport, but hey, you're sooo smart :rolleyes:

So if they can easily make do with one runway while the other one is out of commission, why are they talking about building a third, with all the expense and environmental damage that goes with it?