Owner threatens to take back car ive been paying for a year because i can't find guarantor

rendos

>I have been paying a toyota hilux bougth from a thai owner for the passed year with an agreement that i should find a guarantor for the finance by January (6 months after). Unfortunately i have found out now how hard it is to find such person.

The thai owner is now threatening me that he will take the car back and im not going to get any money back for my payments for one year.

What are my rights regarding this matter should that threat actually occur?

Thanks for all the help

Rendos

Sent from my SM-T819Y using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

Yes we have a contract, not notarized though, both parties signed with ID'S printed and signed. The finding a guarantor part was verbally done and in a nice mood, i help you, you help me sort of thing. Now they complain that they need to finance something and they can't because i havent found a guarantor for the finance of the car. So its still under their name.

Possibly if you post the year of the truck, condition, location, how much you owe and how much interest you are paying, Someone here may be willing to pay it off, then you can continue to make payments to that person.

2 hours ago, Gary A said:

Possibly if you post the year of the truck, condition, location, how much you owe and how much interest you are paying, Someone here may be willing to pay it off, then you can continue to make payments to that person.

But it's a Hilux.

Toyota hilux smartcab 2.6 vnturbo TRD 2014. Sligthly used as test drive car at toyota. Paying 11, 257.00 per month for another 59 months. Lets see what some one has to offer.

2 hours ago, Gary A said:

It was just an idea. Unfortunately it appears that you owe more than it is worth. Sorry.

I agree about the value ...if he takes it back is the deal cancelled. If so ' bite his hand off' ...and buy something for whatever cash you have ...I have a very nice Mazda Lantis for sale ...

On 10/03/2017 at 1:36 PM, rendos said:

Yes we have a contract, not notarized though, both parties signed with ID'S printed and signed. The finding a guarantor part was verbally done and in a nice mood, i help you, you help me sort of thing. Now they complain that they need to finance something and they can't because i havent found a guarantor for the finance of the car. So its still under their name.

Their name,their car.You can't hold up your end of the deal.

On 11/03/2017 at 5:27 PM, Gary A said:

Not many samaritians on this forum Gary,would you do it.I certainly would not.

Sorry, I hope it works out for you. But based on what you posted you knew full will the terms of the contract whether it was written or verbal. You even said " now you know how hard it is to get one"

so taking the vehicle isn't really a threat it was the term of agreement.

Sounds to me like if the guarantor part is not written in the contract you can just continue to make the payments, also you may want to take him and the truck to the place where he is trying to secure a loan, as the Truck may not be that much use to his loan.

44 minutes ago, Grubster said:

Sounds to me like if the guarantor part is not written in the contract you can just continue to make the payments, also you may want to take him and the truck to the place where he is trying to secure a loan, as the Truck may not be that much use to his loan.

And if the truck is used as a guarantee and he defaults ............seems what the guy wants to do is to use your guaranteed payments to guarantee his...and no can do at present.

You are in the wrong, but call his bluff.

he obviously wants to sell the car so he can get another loan and there is no way he will sell that car for the price he needs to pay it off.

Tell him you are happy to give it back and good luck to him trying to sell it for 650k....he has no chance, his best bet is helping you take it over.

the owner stuffed up!he should have waited until the HiLux was nearer to being paid off, before enacting his standover.

If OP walks away asap, can the private 'seller' enforce compensation payments for early closure of the deal?

I don't know! I appears you got this Hilux by just taking over the Lease without any extra payment. The onus was you to find someone to take over this loan and you failed in that department. I think the owner has ever right to ask for his truck back now. From what I can tell you rented his truck for a year and got full use of that. So I can't see why you may feel you are getting screwed here.

You could of course offer to buy this truck off him for a reasonable price, being 1 year older, and thus pay off his bank loan. Or is it is a Lease talk to the Lease Manager about a buy out price. But if you don't have the cash to do this then you are stuck.

It appears he needs to sell this truck to get his name off the books to get another loan, so that is understandable.   

>I have been paying a toyota hilux bougth from a thai owner for the passed year with an agreement that i should find a guarantor for the finance by January (6 months after). Unfortunately i have found out now how hard it is to find such person.
The thai owner is now threatening me that he will take the car back and im not going to get any money back for my payments for one year.
What are my rights regarding this matter should that threat actually occur?
Thanks for all the help
Rendos

Their name,their car.You can't hold up your end of the deal.

Sent from my Redmi Note 2 using Tapatalk

54 minutes ago, ljd1308 said:

You are in the wrong, but call his bluff.

he obviously wants to sell the car so he can get another loan and there is no way he will sell that car for the price he needs to pay it off.

Tell him you are happy to give it back and good luck to him trying to sell it for 650k....he has no chance, his best bet is helping you take it over.

True, is not easy to sell off at this price ( close to new trunk price ) My advice is call him to take back and see what he said, if he do, you still don't lose as you have been driving it for the pass or if you have enough cash or have a CC, just pay him. Last choice, pay him a down payment and make a new contract for the truck with new price but only if both of you agree together. Cheers