Vietnam -first time-thinking about escaping there for Songkran

how241

46 minutes ago, Nice Boyd said:

9 days of Hell in Pattaya for Songkran, who needs that crap, who knows where that water comes  from, Disgusting, might be a lil shorter this year cuz of his Majesty

Yes, I agree....After being through this for 7 years, I think it is time to try something new....Just way too long in Pattaya.

47 minutes ago, jobsworth said:

avoid cambodia during thai songkran.

they too have songkran.

Thanks for that info as I was considering Cambodia but now I will stay with my original plan of visiting Vietnam.

Songkran in Phnom Penh is hardly noticeable except many western and Khmer restaurants are closed because the staff went home for the holiday.  Once we went to a Cambodian wat in Vietnam's Can Tho (somewhere south, anyway) and were greeted like dignitaries. Very polite, and free food too. I was sat down with the elders and each waterer asked permission before a gentle application of wet stuff. Beautiful people.

16 hours ago, generealty said:

If you come from one a several countries (USA being one of them) you get a free 15 days visa on entry. This has been in since last July I believe. I have a home in Pattaya but work in Vietnam so come and go regularly

Please see recycler's post a few messages down (#16; also see #22).  So who's got it right, you or him?  I thought Americans had to get the visa approval letter in advance, costing whatever, and then actually get the visa on arriving at the airport.  Yours is the first time I've heard about a free on-entry visa (and I presume you mean with no prior approval letter in hand).

avoid cambodia during thai songkran.
they too have songkran.

Misleading post.Cambodia has Songkran, but outside of the so-called Thai zone,which consists of areas near the Thai border, it is 'safe ' : Virtually none of the watersplashing in PP or Siem Reap and most of the other big cities.Battambang , Poipet Sisophon are to be avoided.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00UD using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

7 hours ago, 12DrinkMore said:

I was unimpressed. A tourist oriented Punch and Judy show in a pool. Luckily the show is quite short, boredom was setting in.

Kids would like it.

You can check out the vids here.

http://thanglongwaterpuppet.org/en/

Thanks for your info... It did look a little boring in the videos ... Do you remember how much it cost ?  Thanks

22 hours ago, 12DrinkMore said:

I was unimpressed. A tourist oriented Punch and Judy show in a pool. Luckily the show is quite short, boredom was setting in.

Kids would like it.

You can check out the vids here.

http://thanglongwaterpuppet.org/en/

Different strokes for different folks. I saw the show in Hanoi and thought it was clever and fun and creative. Besides Halong Bay one of the more enjoyable things to see. Also a really good French Restuarant in Hanoi....they train street kids to have an occupation etc. They also have a bakery on the premises. Cannot remember the name, but try googling it, or somebody on here might know it. I ate there many times because of their good choices and to support their good works helping kids.

3 hours ago, Mansell said:

Different strokes for different folks. I saw the show in Hanoi and thought it was clever and fun and creative. Besides Halong Bay one of the more enjoyable things to see. Also a really good French Restuarant in Hanoi....they train street kids to have an occupation etc. They also have a bakery on the premises. Cannot remember the name, but try googling it, or somebody on here might know it. I ate there many times because of their good choices and to support their good works helping kids.

Yep, different strokes. I was disappointed because of all the hype I had read before. But it is not too expensive and there are some lively bars not far away.

I found the food in Hanoi was the best I had in Vietnam, Maybe because of the huge variety of restaurants in such as small area.

The food was also good in Nha Trang and Dalat.

Mui Nee, on the other hand was dreadful. I was glad to leave after 18 hours......

just back from hanio ca ba halong

to many chiness tour halong bay 

over years been allover found nu trang best 

now Russians  are leaving no money

traffic getting bad everywhere

it was safer when i was there in nam war