New Pattaya mayor vows to make the resort a "better place"

rooster59

New Pattaya mayor vows to make the resort a "better place"

9B36FF4C46334001BDBFF4346AF810D7.jpg

Image: Post Today

The new mayor of Pattaya Anan Charoenchasri has spoken about his desire to rid the resort of criminal elements and improve its image.

Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha  installed Anan  in February after the position of mayor was empty for almost 12 months.

The police general was the former deputy mayor and was earlier the deputy chief of the region 2 police overseeing the eastern provinces.

Anan told the Post Today that he was apprehensive when he first took the post but was glad of the confidence shown in him by the military government to effect change.

He recognizes that the resort faces great challenges especially in terms of crime, involvement of the mafia in the sex trade and the effect of influential persons on life there.

But with government support he is hopeful of making progress. And he has not rules out that that support may include powers under article 44 of the constitution.

This could give him more power than the police. And with his background in the force he hopes to use all the power he has to make a difference.

Apart from the issues of crime he also said he was determined to solve the traffic chaos and address the problems associated with littering, dirty water and prostitution in the town.

"We have only just started," he said," but we will succeed and make Pattaya a better place".

Source: Post Today

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-03-12

4 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

Apart from the issues of crime he also said he was determined to solve the traffic chaos and address the problems associated with littering, dirty water and prostitution in the town.

The fella must be a <deleted> magician !

1 minute ago, colinneil said:

The new Pattaya mayor is a very brave man, going to rid Pattaya of all the criminal elements.

Going to get rid of all the corrupt police, and local officials, good on you sir.

No he did not say anything of the sort about getting rid of crime only criminal elements.  What was reported he said was "He recognizes that the resort faces great challenges especially in terms of crime, involvement of the mafia in the sex trade and the effect of influential persons on life there."

So I would read into that that those challenges are two fold.  One would be to ensure even more money is skimmed off the business elements in the form of Tea money, directly without the third party mafia involved (the so called criminal elements getting protection money currently),  without actually killing the businesses off by excessive extortion. The other, a major challenge,  will be to negotiate a deal whereas all that "Protection money and Tea Money"  under goes a fairer distribution matrix so it is a straight 50/50 split between the BIB and the RTA.

Further , with all his years in the police force in other parts of the country, then his desire to solve the traffic issues must be offset by his ineptitude to solve the self same problems everywhere else he has served, coupled of course with the general ignorance of traffic control by the RTP throughout Thailand.  Now what they really need to boost funds, and improve their "take" would be to introduce road tolls in the central area of pattaya. Don't need to buy high tech equipment like Singapore or in the West,  Just maintain their checkpoints whereas the motorist would need to pay cash to enter a designated zone.  Of course in the interest of "Thainess"  Farangs would need to be charged quadruple the Thai rate. 

29 minutes ago, fforest1 said:

When people ae no longer scared to swim in the ocean I will be a believer...

No person in their right mind would swim in that water. I'd prefer to be scratched by a dozen cats.

Step No 1. Remove all Jet skies from the beach.

Edited by Toshiba66

The police general was the former deputy mayor and was earlier the deputy chief of the region 2 police overseeing the eastern provinces.

How come he didn't make Pattaya a better place when he was deputy mayor and deputy chief of police?

Pattaya has 8 seasidemalls this causes lots of traffic from visitors by cars.push for some seaside mall in Jomtien to divided the shopping traffic more.make a new design for pattaya beachroad including sport ,walking and park zones and close beachroa it for traffic and parking or max one lane ,create walking zones where only songteaws are allowed.on most streets ban parking of cars and motorbikes.

6 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

The fella must be a <deleted> magician !

Pattaya grew as a popular resort area because of the easy laid back life of boozing and open bars from the 60s onward.It was a great place to spend weekends when coming from Bangkok or for fishing trips,Then in the late 70s with the building of a lot of golf courses to add to the old Siam course many of the retirees and other farangs started moving there.I moved there because my friends were there.The onslaught of dubious people from the Middle East and the young Thai gangsters in The 90s caused me and others to leave.

Now Pattaya becomes like Italy 50 years ago, where the mafia had there boss installed as mayor...

The police is the biggest issue is Pattaya and guess who needs to solve it..... exactly , the police.

what a joke again....

I was down there for a week--10 days ago---great time, I lived there for 8 years --way back , only compliant was then (as is now) Rot tick.

I hadn't stayed in the area of --near Hollywood--there are some great new hotels there now, very good pricing...590 brand new..I stayed in a resort there--I know cant name it-- great gym/great Brekie (thrown in) sit by a lake & eat, 1,000 baht a night .

I really had a lot to do in BKK --but for me its better (easier) to stay in Pattaya, drive to the airport, Park car-walk across get the underground, & just get off where I want to in BKK....6 hours parked at the airport one day, when doing an Oz visa....154 baht--wow I would have to mortgage my house to stay that long at most other international airport parking.

18 years in Thailand--10 years in Issan--still always get the best laugh in Pattaya---  Stumbled into a soi some bar where a little sweet thing (about the age of my granddaughter) said she would look after me...

I was trying to tell her that I'd recently lost my wife. She put her arms around me, pulled me close and whispered, "mai pen rai.. It be all-light." --"No, it won't, "I thought, "She's bound to find me soon.".......................................:coffee1:

I have long fantasizes about being the Pattaya mayor.

1. The first thing I would do would be to clean up the rubbish. Then anyone caught littering, make them pick up rubbish for a whole weekend.

And tell the beach vendors if they don't keep their area clean, then they lose it. 

The rubbish is shockingly bad, and getting worse every day.

So a big fail. 

2. The second thing is force the prostitution indoors so only those who want a hooker have to come across them. 

The army are doing a good job in this regard. I know the mongers will disagree, but school kids and decent people don't need to see this everywhere. Get a room.

3. Enforce where people can park so they don't block the traffic. 

My friends car got towed last week.

So again the army must get credit.

So 2 out of 3 for me so far.

But the rubbish is a bloody disgrace for a tourist town. The whole town looks like a garbage dump. Maybe even let prisoners out of their crowded cells for a day to CLEAN THE FRICKEN PLACE UP!

6 hours ago, colinneil said:

The new Pattaya mayor is a very brave man, going to rid Pattaya of all the criminal elements.

Going to get rid of all the corrupt police, and local officials, good on you sir.

Great top down approach Colin methinks he will start in the middle. I will add the word "vow" to the other word so often used by the new guard "mull"

12 minutes ago, oxo1947 said:

I was down there for a week--10 days ago---great time, I lived there for 8 years --way back , only compliant was then (as is now) Rot tick.

I hadn't stayed in the area of --near Hollywood--there are some great new hotels there now, very good pricing...590 brand new..I stayed in a resort there--I know cant name it-- great gym/great Brekie (thrown in) sit by a lake & eat, 1,000 baht a night .

I really had a lot to do in BKK --but for me its better (easier) to stay in Pattaya, drive to the airport, Park car-walk across get the underground, & just get off where I want to in BKK....6 hours parked at the airport one day, when doing an Oz visa....154 baht--wow I would have to mortgage my house to stay that long at most other international airport parking.

18 years in Thailand--10 years in Issan--still always get the best laugh in Pattaya---  Stumbled into a soi some bar where a little sweet thing (about the age of my granddaughter) said she would look after me...

I was trying to tell her that I'd recently lost my wife. She put her arms around me, pulled me close and whispered, "mai pen rai.. It be all-light." --"No, it won't, "I thought, "She's bound to find me soon.".......................................:coffee1:

LOL

But just so you know, it is rot DIT

Can I make a suggestion to the new Mayor clean up the street literally the Rubbish that is lying about in them is disgusting. Fine all the people who throw the rubbish away in the street .Tidy up the beaches I know you are trying but a long way to go. Get all the petty criminals to do community Service and go up and down the Soi's picking up all the Rubbish.I live in Wongamat  the soi across from the 5 star Centara Mirage is a disgrace the bins are overflowing the venders just throw the Rubbish anywhere . I have been coming to Thailand for over 30 years and I would definitely say you need to change things if you want a great resort .It is getting there but a way to go yet.Also could you  fix the lights on Wongamat beach please. I am willing to help if needs be. 

3 minutes ago, Miss Pickle said:

Can I make a suggestion to the new Mayor clean up the street literally the Rubbish that is lying about in them is disgusting. Fine all the people who throw the rubbish away in the street .Tidy up the beaches I know you are trying but a long way to go. Get all the petty criminals to do community Service and go up and down the Soi's picking up all the Rubbish.I live in Wongamat  the soi across from the 5 star Centara Mirage is a disgrace the bins are overflowing the venders just throw the Rubbish anywhere . I have been coming to Thailand for over 30 years and I would definitely say you need to change things if you want a great resort .It is getting there but a way to go yet.Also could you  fix the lights on Wongamat beach please. I am willing to help if needs be. 

Yes, yes YESSSSSSS.

Have you got any photos? 

Centara clean the beach directly in front of the resort, but not a foot either side. And for some reason the water in that area seems to act like a magnet for rubbish. 

You would think with the prices they charge and with the amount of staff they employ that they could clean the whole beach and the area you are talking about.

but....