My pickup is at the smash repair

23 hours ago, elgordo38 said:

In an accident here your guilty till proven innocent especially if your a foreigner. Its kind of a double edged sword. 

People who know better really should stop promulgating this nonsense.

20 hours ago, Thaidream said:

Thai repair shops take 5 times as long to repair cars as any Western Body Shop because the longer they drag it out the more they are paid where just the opposite is true in America or Europe. In addition, everything is done by hand. Watch out for the quality- very poor in Thailand. 

As a generalisation, more nonsense.  Body repair outfits in the west are all A1, are they?

I worked for auto insurance claims for 15 years so I have seen my share of American body shops- most of them are high tech using computers to mix paints; using lasers to repair frames and with technicians that average a salary of $70.000 per year. They are fast; they are great quality and have a huge customer base/

In Thailand- it is just the opposite. Most of the repair shops are low tech dependent upon labor to do the jobs that machines can do much faster.

Hardly nonsense.....simply facts/

7 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

I worked for auto insurance claims for 15 years so I have seen my share of American body shops- most of them are high tech using computers to mix paints; using lasers to repair frames and with technicians that average a salary of $70.000 per year. They are fast; they are great quality and have a huge customer base/

In Thailand- it is just the opposite. Most of the repair shops are low tech dependent upon labor to do the jobs that machines can do much faster.

The thing is, those are not facts that you stated about Thailand.  Most of the body shops used by insurers are high tech using computers to mix paints, using lasers to repair frames and with knowledgeable technicians, the salaries being irrelevant to western wages. They are fast, they are great quality and have a huge customer base.  Not all, but most.

In the west many of the repair shops are low tech dependent upon labour to do the jobs that machines can do much faster. Not all, but many.  Those are facts

Edited by gdgbb

Sorry to disagree with you- but nearly all the body shops in Ameerica are high tech- there are very few low tech shops- I should know- it was part of my job to visit them.

There is no comparison with quality and time of repair between Thailand and America. Thai shops are very labor dependent mostly because the high tech pain machines and lasers are very costly.  To set up a high tech body shop in Ameerica takes a minimum investment of $2 Million not including the physical plant and the labor.  Labor in Thailand is cheap that is why it takes so much time to get your car repaired. Just the opposite in America.

If you do not want to believe these facts that is your choice.

Edited by Thaidream

1 minute ago, Thaidream said:

Before farangland had high tech stuff they did have skilled workers to do the same job..LOS does have skilled workers to do the job..

7 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

Sorry to disagree with you- but nearly all the body shops in Ameerica are high tech- there are very few low tech shops- I should know- it was part of my job to visit them.

There is no comparison with quality and time of repair between Thailand and America. Thai shops are very labor dependent mostly because the high tech pain machines and lasers are very costly.  To set up a high tech body shop in Ameerica takes a minimum investment of $2 Million not including the physical plant and the labor.  Labor in Thailand is cheap that is why it takes so much time to get your car repaired. Just the opposite in America.

If you do not want to believe these facts that is your choice.

Your facts about Thai body shops as a generalisation are just plain wrong.  And, I don't know for sure but, I don't believe that there are very few low tech, i.e. back street body shops in the US.

I would say the Thai system is better.

sent using Tapatalk

Before farangland had high tech stuff they did have skilled workers to do the same job..LOS does have skilled workers to do the job..

Exactly, which is why i think the Thai system is better.

sent using Tapatalk

30 minutes ago, stevenl said:

I would say the Thai system is better.

I agree nothing to do with money IMO every paint job done in Thailand for me whether l paid or not, has been of excellent quality. :thumbsup:

4 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

I agree nothing to do with money IMO every paint job done in Thailand for me whether l paid or not, has been of excellent quality. :thumbsup:

Where I live a Toyota main dealer has a state of the art body shop, l walked around it and looked at the jobs guys were doing....Was quite amazing...

Also where I live there are basic repair shops that with their ingenuity can deal with stuff..

• 2 weeks later...
40 minutes ago, trigpoint said:

I had a taxi reverse into me a while ago, insurance came out and sorted it, taxi insurance paid, took it to a body shop for repair, had to wait 3 months before they could do it, sprayed it the wrong shade of white, when I complained they said, be all right in a few weeks after the sun weathered it !!!

Well l hope you didn't stand for that.

The 3 auto- paint body-shops l've been to over time did a perfect job.

1 hour ago, trigpoint said:

I had a taxi reverse into me a while ago, insurance came out and sorted it, taxi insurance paid, took it to a body shop for repair, had to wait 3 months before they could do it, sprayed it the wrong shade of white, when I complained they said, be all right in a few weeks after the sun weathered it !!!

Sent from my B3-A30 using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

I was told that when I had a lid fitted/painted to the truck in 2009, still looks shit.............:sad:

38 minutes ago, colinchaffers said:

I hope you did not sign it off, i had a badly repaired bonnet changed. Its very unlikely the sun would do bugger all.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

The body shop was in the middle of Pattaya, hard to get to as I didn't have a motorcycle at the Time, went backwards and forwards a few times, no courtesy car of course, took em 3 days for a minor spray job, now the paint has disappeared in a few places, I'm not impressed with my own experience.

A good painter is an artist. And getting a good paint job is 80% preparation. Clean - like operating room clean. Any mistake along the way and the result will be much less than expected. You can not hide it. Whereas a good job will last for years, until the sun fades it to white, but it will still adhere.

1 hour ago, canthai55 said:

A good painter is an artist. And getting a good paint job is 80% preparation. Clean - like operating room clean. Any mistake along the way and the result will be much less than expected. You can not hide it. Whereas a good job will last for years, until the sun fades it to white, but it will still adhere.

A painter is as good as the guy that mixes the paint for him too...:smile:....